Problems at Richmond

It is four players but Derrick Williams left because of family problems back home in NYC and Cedric Lindsey blew out his second ACL and is out of eligibility. Both of these guys were seniors and were going to be done anyway. I don't consider these two new defections in the same vein as these are guys transferring out once the season is over.

Sparrow came in and appears to have redshirted his freshman year. He's a junior but h emight have garduated ala Mo Creek at Indiana and is looking to use that final year somewhere else. His minutes did not increase even with the loss of Lindsey so he could possibly see the handwriting on the wall. Singleton was a lower level recruit who played three miniutes all year and got in only three games all year. Can you say "mop up time?" He came a long way from Dallas to Richmond too so it's no real loss. If he had no tput up one shot in one of those three game,s he'd have zeros across his season statistics board.

I don't see any smoke here whatsoever.

It is four players but Derrick Williams left because of family problems back home in NYC and Cedric Lindsey blew out his second ACL and is out of eligibility. Both of these guys were seniors and were going to be done anyway. I don't consider these two new defections in the same vein as these are guys transferring out once the season is over.

Sparrow came in and appears to have redshirted his freshman year. He's a junior but h emight have garduated ala Mo Creek at Indiana and is looking to use that final year somewhere else. His minutes did not increase even with the loss of Lindsey so he could possibly see the handwriting on the wall. Singleton was a lower level recruit who played three miniutes all year and got in only three games all year. Can you say "mop up time?" He came a long way from Dallas to Richmond too so it's no real loss. If he had no tput up one shot in one of those three game,s he'd have zeros across his season statistics board.

I don't see any smoke here whatsoever.

Taj. Something cannot be correct. A guy (Sparrow) leaving before his Senior year b/c he won't receive minutes next year? I'm told by the newly created (and ever increasing) Grandy Glaze Fan Club that such things just don't happen. Well, I guess this must be a completely voluntary situation (no honest conversations or pushing at all from the coaches) otherwise I am told that Richmond will never land another quality recruit and their team morale must be at rock bottom. I forget who Richmond's coach is anyway? Tom Crean?? :D

Also, bet Sparrow and Richmond are both glad he redshirted his Freshman year. I am constantly told by the experts on this Board how great it is redshirt (for both the player and the school) and how it should be done every year. :D

Taj. Something cannot be correct. A guy (Sparrow) leaving before his Senior year b/c he won't receive minutes next year? I'm told by the newly created (and ever increasing) Grandy Glaze Fan Club that such things just don't happen. Well, I guess this must be a completely voluntary situation (no honest conversations or pushing at all from the coaches) otherwise I am told that Richmond will never land another quality recruit and their team morale must be at rock bottom. I forget who Richmond's coach is anyway? Tom Crean?? :D

Also, bet Sparrow and Richmond are both glad he redshirted his Freshman year. I am constantly told by the experts on this Board how great it is redshirt (for both the player and the school) and how it should be done every year. :D

Sparrow will be immediately eligible to play elsewhere because he is graduating this spring. That makes his situation completely different than Grandy, who'd have to sit out a year. It also makes it far more like that it was his decision to leave.

You'd think that after about 20 people ripped you in the other thread about Grandy and nobody came to your defense, you'd realize that just possibly your viewpoint is wrong...

Siding with kshoe over Clock on this one. I did not know Sparrow was graduating but guessed at it. With kshoe's input, it makes it clear it is a different situation.

I personally believe that a yearly evaluation is a good thing for each player. What you've done. What you should work on over the summer. And maybe, but only up until your end of your sophomore year, a true evaluation of how you will fit on the team moving forward. You get mid-terms grades so why not an annual basketball evaluation? In that scenario, we keep Grandy or anyone else for that matter UNLESS the kid says "I'm outta here."

Three years ago a person in the Athletic Department told me Grandy was a "knucklehead kid" who likely wouldn't see much court time because he didn't "get it." that person has echoed that sentiment for three years now and, frankly, appears to have been right. I held out hope this person was wrong. Last year, we saw him appear but it was about as limited as limited can be. Four minutes at the start of each half was the standard. Under 16 timeout and gone. This year, folks said we were really good because we returned four starters, Glaze included. And yet, by the seventh or eighth game of the season, bye-bye Grandy. Now folks are saying he will have a Conklin summer and emerge as a better player for it. Call me skeptical. Grandy is likely our best rebounder right now but even when you had guys like that on other teams (Rambis, Iavaroni, Rodman) you had enough firepower from the other four slots to do without contributions from them on the offensive end. Such is not the case with this team. According to news reports, 70% of our offensive production graduated. If we scored 70 points a game that means we need to make up 49 points for next year. Our returning guys threw in about 19 ppg. A 51 point differential from the hypothetical 70. So no matter how you cut it, folks will have to exceed all expectations to make next year work.

Same too with John Manning. But I will say John showed progress this past year and I admit to hope that he will be at least servicable next year. Otherwise, throw the two freshmen bigs in there for future development.

Again, embrace the experimentation.

It's not like the returning kids were playing all the same exact minutes and getting the same opportunities to score as our 5 seniors and they only scored 19 compared to the seniors who scored 51.

I agree were are losing a lot but I'm not going to act like mccalls and barnetts offensive production are hard at all to replace. Everyone else's offensive numbers will be harder to replace and I'm guessing well replace it somewhat but not fully