Shaka Smart defends the A-10

NCSLU

I agree with what you say, it will not be "proof", any game can turn on a bad call or a blown layup, but this board is so blindly loyal to the A-10 and cannot see that the ACC seeds are superior even with a few A-10's that were over-seeded.

So,

ACC 1-3-3-6-9-12

A-10 5-5-6-9-11-11 even though you say SLU and UMass are over-seeded.

Has anyone on this board actually said the A-10 is better than the ACC? I must have missed it if said.

What people have said is that the A-10 is plenty good and your boy coach K needs to shut his trap.

I understand what Coach K said. And I understand what Smart said in response. As my friend from mid-Missouri was fond of saying ".. it's all about as worthless as **** on a boar hog." Coach K --- and any other coach in league/conference X --- is going to petition for other teams in his league. Doesn't the conference get shares from NCAA units as well? The more the merrier. And whatever league is the aberration, they will suffer the slings and arrows there.

Smart came back and said don't be fool enough to single one conference out over another as you probably don't have enough first-hand knowledge to pick it apart over. What's the big deal? Just another "sideshow Bob" thing going on. Besides, these stupid arguments arise every year -- only the names change to protect the innocent.

You've been saying the A10 is overrated for weeks. Disagree now? Sounds like you don't

I merely agreed that The ACC winning more NCAA games than The A-10 is not "proof", as it relates to the exact meaning of "proof".

IMO the top 6 teams in the A-10 have been significantly overrated by the RPI formula, for some reason, this year. U Mass in particular, # 13 (or so) for all that time, was ridiculous.

I think 2 of 6 A-10 teams will win their first round games, possibly, maybe 3.

He was pimping you, not me. Wooooooooooooooooooooooosh over your head.

And FYI, you wouldn't be able to comprehend my clarifications, anyway, so why bother? Most everyone else understands. You are locked into some little world of anger, why, I do not know, nor do I care.

He was pimping you, not me. Wooooooooooooooooooooooosh over your head.

And FYI, you wouldn't be able to comprehend my clarifications, anyway, so why bother? Most everyone else understands. You are locked into some little world of anger, why, I do not know, nor do I care.

My "little world of anger" ... coming from you :lol: Gutless as usual. Too scared to elaborate. Tell us, any other "thug ball" coaches in the A-10?

So we are now enamored with and support no class 'lil man / big loud mouth / cries to the refs on every play Shaka Smart, who coaches thug ball at a weak scholastic institution, who has had some success in mid major leagues.

As opposed to classy and successful winning coach, multiple NCAA Championship winner in the NCAA's at a highly ranked scholastic institution for the last 20+ years in a power conference, playing top notch competition (# 6 SOS RPI this year), HOF & USA Olympic coach K.

Wow.

I wonder who will win the most NCAA games, The A-10 or the ACC, with 6 teams vs. 5*? We shall see.

(edit 6 teams in both)

How is Shaka crying to the refs about foul calls any more disgraceful than Coach K crying to the media about there not being enough mediocre ACC teams in the Dance? Especially given Coach K's lofty resume (almost entirely from previous eons in CBB history, but a lofty one nonetheless), I think that's much whinier.

And the d-bag elements of VCU's fan base irritate me as much as anyone, but there is absolutely no reason not to respect what Shaka has done with that program. The fact that Shaka built his program on the strength of a Final Four run with ZERO 5* recruits makes it much MORE impressive than the one Final Four Duke has made this decade, not LESS impressive.

As usual, MB, it seems you are looking at the world upside down. I think you might feel more at home on a Dookies/ACC fanboy message board.

Of course. And no other coaches in the A-10 cry to the refs like Shaka does. How is Kenny Frease doing these days? Has he recovered from the hate crime perpetrated against him?

You'll wind up sitting between McMurphy and Cheswick. I think you should stop it.

I don't understand why we handicap K's accomplishment because he wins with top recruits. Recruiting is part of the job, and K does it well. He's able to recruit the way he does in very large part because of the success he's had. Such is life.

In any event, K is an objectively great coach. Shaka is also a very good coach. I don't have a problem with "whining" to the refs, either. If you're not trying to positively influence the flow of the game for your team, then that's on you as a coach. And, for what it's worth, I can't remember the last time I watched a college basketball game and didn't see the coaches from both teams occasionally jaw at the refs. Not everyone is as animated about it as a Jim Boeheim, but it's a constant feature of the game nonetheless.

I don't understand why we handicap K's accomplishment because he wins with top recruits. Recruiting is part of the job, and K does it well. He's able to recruit the way he does in very large part because of the success he's had. Such is life.

In any event, K is an objectively great coach. Shaka is also a very good coach. I don't have a problem with "whining" to the refs, either. If you're not trying to positively influence the flow of the game for your team, then that's on you as a coach. And, for what it's worth, I can't remember the last time I watched a college basketball game and didn't see the coaches from both teams occasionally jaw at the refs. Not everyone is as animated about it as a Jim Boeheim, but it's a constant feature of the game nonetheless.

I overall like Shaka and think he's good coach and great for our league but hard to see how one doesn't tire of his relentless whining. It's like McEnroe level, and I think it sometimes hurts his team.

I overall like Shaka and think he's good coach and great for our league but hard to see how one doesn't tire of his relentless whining. It's like McEnroe level, and I think it sometimes hurts his team.

OK, no malice intended here, but how many T's has Shaka been rung up for this year? Every coach in the land works the refs relentlessly. It's part of being a coach and I'd think less of a coach if they didn't give their team any and every chance they can think of to win a game.

Duke played several OOC games on neutral courts against quality opponents. I agree that Duke could have (and probably should have) thrown in a true road game or two, but I don't think it's fair to insinuate that Duke was just twiddling their thumbs down in Cameron.

In any case, I'm on board with what both K and Shaka are doing. K is clearly lobbying for his conference, and I like that he's not afraid to name names and (at least in his mind) call a spade a spade - even if that means stepping on some toes. With today's media, few people have the guts to actually say what they're thinking. If you think your conference is better than the other guy's conference, fine. Say so. And then back it up on the court.

Same thing applies to Shaka. He was justified in defending his conference - hell, if anything, I thought he was more reserved than he needed to be. But he stood his ground, and now he has a chance to back it up.

And so does SLU. Should be a great game against State.

You miss the point. The committee has implied that not having a tough out of conference record hurt you on selection Sunday. There are two ways to get an difficult out of conference schedule, play cupcakes and schedule blue blood tourney plus a few big events. Or play a bunch of

Home and home series with whoever, which lead to true road games difficult game situations, crowds and home cooking going against you.

The Dukes of the world get away with it because generally who they play in their scheduled holiday tourney will be good and they will get a good draw for their event games , and the will be above 500 in conference.

However when the team who schedules in this manor is .500 or below, not having OOC road games hurts them. Because it does not

Help the OOC RPI, their record is inflated by the home cupcake schedule, and it

Is unfair for coach K to complain about it