OT: Student Athletes

Listening to the local sports radio over here and they brought up a study done at UNC of their student athletes.. I looked it up and found it on CNN later. (http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/)

-- Of 183 athletes in revenue-generating sports admitted to UNC between 2004 and 2012:

-- About 60% were reading between the fourth and eighth grade reading levels.

-- Between 8% and 10% were reading below a third grade level.

At risk of sounding elitist, in contrast, I think it's pretty cool that at SLU we have students like DE on the A-10 all-conference academic team. It could just be me being naive, but I don't think our students fall anywhere near the type of academic issues mentioned in that study.

Also sort of funny, after learning of the study, CNN contacted several schools for comment. Here's what they got from Mizzou:

"Missouri denied our requests, saying it does not keep records, or track in any way entrance exam scores or results of reading evaluations for athletes. Missouri also says it does not identify students as athletes during the admissions process, but does have mentors and tutors who work with athletes on all subjects."

I can't believe they don't identify students as athletes during the admissions process.

I was watching one of their football games earlier this season when the announcers focused on one of the linemen. So they put his "bio" up on the screen. His major was "Parks, Recreation and Tourism". Schools like SLU will always have an uphill fight recruiting against things like that.

Listening to the local sports radio over here and they brought up a study done at UNC of their student athletes.. I looked it up and found it on CNN later. (http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/)

-- Of 183 athletes in revenue-generating sports admitted to UNC between 2004 and 2012:

-- About 60% were reading between the fourth and eighth grade reading levels.

-- Between 8% and 10% were reading below a third grade level.

That is sad...and pathetic

Slu doesn't have football which helps. Let's not act like we've never brought in a kid who probably wouldn't be in our school sans his athletic ability. Do we do some sketchy things like all other athletic programs? Probably. Do we do less of it then other schools? I don't know. Id like to think so

Slu doesn't have football which helps. Let's not act like we've never brought in a kid who probably wouldn't be in our school sans his athletic ability. Do we do some sketchy things like all other athletic programs? Probably. Do we do less of it then other schools? I don't know. Id like to think so

THIS.

I agree completely. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share. Having said that I would like to think (but can't say for sure) more than 30% of our athletes are above an 8th grade reading level. Even if many of them wouldn't necessarily get into slu, a lot of them get degrees and would at least get into college in general.

I can't believe they don't identify students as athletes during the admissions process.

I was watching one of their football games earlier this season when the announcers focused on one of the linemen. So they put his "bio" up on the screen. His major was "Parks, Recreation and Tourism". Schools like SLU will always have an uphill fight recruiting against things like that.

As someone who has worked in the world of college admissions, I can say with confidence, that athletes are identified in the admission process.

So basically, Mizzou just lied.

It is a joke.

It is time for change, though it is unlikely to occur.

The two QB's in the BCS Championship game... do you think they could be successful students at SLU?

Time to have two tiers or some system like:

-1) just pay the players and have them represent the schools for the Florida State's (GA, MU, U Conn, Bama's, etc) of the world, they do not go to class or even pretend to do so, make it official, they just play for pay

-2) SLU, Lehigh, schools like that, they actually go to class to get a real education and get a scholarship + just a few bucks for living expenses above room & board

I realize the financial issues, logistics, details and legal ramifications are prohibitive. But this is such a joke, it gets worse every year.

Cam Newton's father was caught and admitted he received $ 180,000. But it was ruled that Cam didn't know about it, so it was "OK". Think Cam went to class?