Lyons and Wells

How in the hell are these guys able to play this Year?? Lyons for AZ, and wells for

Maryland....is it if you behave badly you are

Rewarded??

Lyons had already graduated from Xavier, so he qualified to play right away as a graduate transfer. I believe this means that he is going to grad school at Arizona for a degree that Xavier did not have.

I believe Wells was kicked out of Xavier and then was given a transfer exemption due to the circumstances. I think he was kicked out by a student committee even though no criminal charges were filed in relation to an alleged sexual assault. In my opinion his exemption is bogus and he should not be eligible this year. The NCAA shouldn't let him skate on bad behavior just because he left the school where it happened.

Lyons is a punk but he did follow the rules ala the Walker kid at Xavier last year who came in from Vanderbilt the year prior. You graduate in three (Cassity and Conklin did) and then you go for a masters in a program your current school does not have (whereas SLU has an MBA for Cassity and Conklin) and you are immediately eligbile. Same thing Kowal tried from Northern Illinois to SLU when he wanted a theology masters (so that was the rumor at the time).

Wells was "convicted" by a student court ala our "situation." The DA in the Cincy area even said it was consensual until the other partner changed her mind someway through it (some sexual truth-or-dare game). The DA said pursuing criminal charges against Wells were likely futile. Given last year's brawl, I think Xavier was backed into a corner as far as basketball players' conduct was concerned and did what they had to do. But did the kid do something "wrong.?" That's a purely subjective and emotional answer that I can't make based on what I know. But Xavier, by its code of conduct, did what it felt it had to do. With no criminal violation against Wells, I think the NCAA did what it had to do ..... whether you or I don't necessarily agree with it really doesn't matter.

While I do not like Lyons, and I have no issue currently with Wells, they did what they had to do by the current rules. Sometimes, I question just who is interpretting what but that's a different argument.

Speaking of Lyons, did anybody see the Arizona/Colorado ending last night? Colorado player hit a three right before the buzzer that was waived off because the clock on the video feed was slightly faster than the clock above the basket. Reminded me of the MO State game a few years back when Ian tipped the ball in after the buzzer, but was given the basket because of the clock on the video feed.

Speaking of Lyons, did anybody see the Arizona/Colorado ending last night? Colorado player hit a three right before the buzzer that was waived off because the clock on the video feed was slightly faster than the clock above the basket. Reminded me of the MO State game a few years back when Ian tipped the ball in after the buzzer, but was given the basket because of the clock on the video feed.

-which reminds me of a question, when the shot clock expires should the red light behind the backboard get lit? I noticed on JB's end of shot clock 3 against either SIUE or Loyola it did not so I wasn;t sure if that is only end of a half which doesn;'t make sense to me as the shot clock expiring has many of the same consequences as a half ending

Agree 100% that Colorado got royally screwed. I have to believe that the game being played at Arizona had to have some effect on the official's decision that the shot came too late. Every replay that ESPN showed made it look like the ball was out of Chen's hand when it hit :00.

I get Lyons, but not Wells. That may be the rules, but it says if you behave, and decide you want to change schools, you are penalized a year. If however you misbehave, break a code of conduct and are expelled by your school, you are then treated better than the student in good standing. The NCAA should rethink this.

I get Lyons, but not Wells. That may be the rules, but it says if you behave, and decide you want to change schools, you are penalized a year. If however you misbehave, break a code of conduct and are expelled by your school, you are then treated better than the student in good standing. The NCAA should rethink this.

Agreed. The NCAA ruling on Wells was a stunner and doesn't make any sense and sets a bad precedent.

Wonder what would have happened with the NCAA in our "situation?" What if both KM and WR were the forerunners to Wells? No criminal charges. University/kangeroo court. They decide to transfer instead of sticking around? I believe it woiuld have been who they transferred to. Maryland is very NCAA savvy and they are also ACC. Hmmmm.

While I side with both kshoe and basketbill, technically, he broke no laws. How do you intercede? In federal versus state law, at least in the environmental end, state law, if more stricter, takes precedent. Again, I applaud Xavier's actions, but what chance would they hold up in real court and would it be worth it to the school to pursue? I really don't know.

Wonder what would have happened with the NCAA in our "situation?" What if both KM and WR were the forerunners to Wells? No criminal charges. University/kangeroo court. They decide to transfer instead of sticking around? I believe it woiuld have been who they transferred to. Maryland is very NCAA savvy and they are also ACC. Hmmmm.

While I side with both kshoe and basketbill, technically, he broke no laws. How do you intercede? In federal versus state law, at least in the environmental end, state law, if more stricter, takes precedent. Again, I applaud Xavier's actions, but what chance would they hold up in real court and would it be worth it to the school to pursue? I really don't know.

An athletics scholarship is a privelege, not a right. If they can be revoked or not renewed for lack of performance -- i.e., without cause -- then I wouldn't think an athlete would have a leg to stand on if he were to sue over being cut with cause.

I really don't understand how Wells was granted immediate eligibility. Had he already exhausted his redshirt?

No. He didn't want to redshirt and his legal team took it from there. He was prepared to redshirt if the NCAA ruling went the other way. Turgeon said he became the best player on their current roster whenhe arrived in College Park. And that is with a huge recruiting class and Nick Faust and Alex Len on the team.

Dayton discarded Kavanaugh for the same reason only I heard there, Kavanaugh took advantage of a "connected" freshman lady. Sound familiar? At least on the "connected" side? And I believe the young lady faced death threats from the Flyer faithful.

All I'm saying is multiple shades of gray --- very hard to see balck and white.