Biondi and the next HC

slu72

-after some reflection since Friday afternoon….

-first I want to 'Thank' Coach Majerus for his time at SLU and wish him nothing but the best for his recovery, greedily I want the chance to stand and applaud to him at Chaifetz to show my appreciation as he took SLU to the tourney which was a complete rarity (let’s hope ‘was’ is the correct form)

-second, to the Players and staff, you have a lot of people supporting you, do great things this season on the court and in the classroom

-to Chris May and FrB, not necessarily in that order, don’t screw up the hire for the permanent coach, I don’t know who would be best, but see what one year of success has done and what prolonged success could do for Saint Louis University, spending others’ money here, don’t go cheap and convenient

-to address some points…

-Rick said Jensen went to the developmental league because he did not want to recruit, how does not wanting to recruit translate to success in the college game?

-Harriman, I don’t know, they are signing some folks up in lincoln

-see my point above on cheap and convenient, I too fear we end up with Crews or Whitesell

-very disturbing to see bernie’s words about this was going to be the last season anyway because of FrB, very disturbing, how does his shadow over the offices at Chaifetz lead to a quality hire? (bernie, if you are serious in your column today I hope I never hear you on your radio show again talking about smoking cigars in your man cave while watching sports, perhaps you should put a treadmill in the man cave and get rid of the ashtray and buffet)

-i think we need the next coach to have midwest recruiting connections to fill the open spots for the juniors (I am not confident we can fill the spots of the seniors in our situation)

-Tatum as an assistant to bring only his son? kid better achieve legend status if this is done

-is there any chance we have been lied to? that Rick is saying ‘stuff it’ to FrB? but if he was I would think he would use bernie to proclaim that message and he likes the players too much to bail on them , but still that shadow of doubt is in my mind

Billiken dave very good post which actually shows there hasnt been much difference between all biondi coaches when it comes down to the actual numbers. I will only throw out that spoon, romar and half of soderberg's stints came vs much better schedules due to the very strong cusa of those days.

AIDS. say that majerus wasn't about to take SLU on a fuoking BALLS OUT run of success over the next several years. say that he didn't care about the kids. fuoking say it and mean it. i gotdamn fuoking dare you.

AIDS. say that majerus wasn't about to take SLU on a fuoking BALLS OUT run of success over the next several years. say that he didn't care about the kids. fuoking say it and mean it. i gotdamn fuoking dare you.

He isn't saying that Majerus wasn't about to make a sustained run. Or that we didn't have success last year. He is pointing out that we were in a tougher conference before. Spoon and Romar were good. I like both of those coaches. As for Majerus we were always worried about when the other shoe would drop. This health issue is not new. So I hope that May was prepared as well. I'm not excited about Whitesell or Crews. However, I will say this you never know on this stuff. I'm a die-hard Auburn fan and so many people were anti Gene Chizik as head coach (in FB) there is even the famous video of a guy booing the AD at the Auburn airport. That hire turned out well. Sometimes, even though I hate to admit it, people like May know more about sports and coaching than we do. Sometimes someone just fits in a certain place and the chemistry is right and you can win. We can win at SLU we should win this year. I hope we get this thing done soon and done well so recruiting doesn't suffer and we digress.

Is Majerus well enough to break down game tape and send us his notes on a napkin? Most experienced Video Coordinator ever.

Also was Bernie's article straight up cheese or am I heartless? Oh who can I relate to about being fat? I don't know how about 50% of the US population.

One thing that's gone ignored in all of this, in June RM was "interviewed" for the SMU job. CM had no qualms about granting SMU permission, nor did he offer RM an extension upon his return. Not long after this "interview", we heard rumors, from someone in Utah, that RM's health was in jeopardy. Is it unreasonable to suggest that the powers that be, Fr. B and CM, knew of RMs health problems all along and they didn't want it known because it would/could impact recruiting, ticket sales, Drew and Carter coming to SLU, or potential monetary obligations to RM if he was granted an extension?

What's bothersome about the above scenario, if in fact they had indications RM's health was going to be a major concern this season, is why they didn't go on the look for a top notch asst back in the early summer. They could have kept everything on the hush hush by simply stating we had the opportunity to hire a really good AC, and we did it because he will help us carry on the success of last season into the future. This way the guy could have led our recruiting, established a relationship with the team, learned the systems, and been ready to assume the job of HC in the event RM was forced to miss the season.

What A list HC candidate wouldn't have jumped at the potential opportunity to coach a tourney ready team in his first and second years, have a top notch facility to show recruits, compete in a top flight conference against some of the best young coaches in the country, and get pointers from one of the game's gurus?

I think our current situation SUGGESTS that "penny pinching" is still the case when it comes to SLU athletics. CM and FR.B always knew RM's health was a ticking time bomb, no pun intended, that could go off at any moment, so IF, big if, they had any indication that RM's ability to coach this season was up in the air, sound management would have dictated they go on the hunt for the next Shaka or Stevens type. Instead, their succession plan is two middle aged AC's who never really had much success as HC's and don't hold the reputations that will have recruits dying to come to SLU. However, in a pinch one of them could assume the HC's job at no great expense. Of course, some of the blame falls on RM's shoulders as well since he hired these guys, but in his defense we'll never know how much latitude or budget he was given to bring in a guy who fans and the media would have seen as a promising top flight successor. And I seem to recall when he brought in Crews, didn't he claim or indicate he paid part of his salary out of his own pocket? If true, that speaks volumes as to where the Admin stands on giving SLU the support needed to compete at a high level.

The fear here is we may be heading for a Utah like fate after RM left there for health reasons.

I think our current situation SUGGESTS that "penny pinching" is still the case when it comes to SLU athletics. CM and FR.B always knew RM's health was a ticking time bomb, no pun intended, that could go off at any moment, so IF, big if, they had any indication that RM's ability to coach this season was up in the air, sound management would have dictated they go on the hunt for the next Shaka or Stevens type. Instead, their succession plan is two middle aged AC's who never really had much success as HC's and don't hold the reputations that will have recruits dying to come to SLU. However, in a pinch one of them could assume the HC's job at no great expense. Of course, some of the blame falls on RM's shoulders as well since he hired these guys, but in his defense we'll never know how much latitude or budget he was given to bring in a guy who fans and the media would have seen as a promising top flight successor. And I seem to recall when he brought in Crews, didn't he claim or indicate he paid part of his salary out of his own pocket? If true, that speaks volumes as to where the Admin stands on giving SLU the support needed to compete at a high level.

The fear here is we may be heading for a Utah like fate after RM left there for health reasons.

It's rare that a program has two assistants coaches with extensive head-coaching experience like we have. What coach that SLU can afford would have recruits dying to come to SLU? Also you don't really know who the next Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart is now do you? If someone did they would be the greatest AD ever. How highly touted were those guys when they were hired?

A lot of people on this board wanted Cuonzo Martin a few years ago and he seems to have turned out pretty well winning at SMS but he bolted for Tenn. SMS went back to the Gene Keady coaching tree and got Lusk.

A Bomb, you're right I don't know. No one knows how seemingly promising hires are going to turn out in any endeavor. But there are some good proven recruiters out there and that is a large part of the game these days. Plus, I'd be surprised if RM, w/ his connections, isn't aware or could find out pretty quick what guys seem to be the next in line most promising HCs. Look, we have to give Crews his shot as I posted that earlier, but the standards for keeping him here have to be high. Again 1.) take us dancing, 2.) fill the two open scholies with players RM was after, 3.) Keep this team together, no transfers. If he does all that, then who can complain? If he fails, even at one of the above, he should go and the hunt begin for RM's successor.

No, he wouldn't have been my first choice, nor Whitesell. They weren't exactly being sought after by other schools. But all that's besides the point. I'm behind the guy 100%, because he is the guy. My point in the previous post was I'd hate to see a promising season go down the toilet, or we lose recruits we had a decent shot at landing. Time will tell.

Only at SLU can a legendary coach rebuild the basketball program, take it to the NCAA tournament and return with a loaded roster and NOT get a contract extension.

That's all speculation. They may have known about this issue. I don't know it seems that some people knew as we heard rumblings months ago. Don't let the new problem cloud your vision. Whether extended or not we'd still be right here.

That's all speculation. They may have known about this issue. I don't know it seems that some people knew as we heard rumblings months ago. Don't let the new problem cloud your vision. Whether extended or not we'd still be right here.

If they knew was the point of my post above. They could have done more to mitigate the damage. But as I also stated all we can do now is see how our interim HC does. If you read Dr. B's post about SLU morale being an all time low, wanting or wishing for a new white knight ain't happening this season.

I've read a lot of apathy about Crews or Whitsell being handed the keys to RM's car permanently. While I'll be the first to admit that seems like the easy (and cost effective) way out that FB would likely endorse isn't it a possibility that a return trip to the NCAA this year would put them in a position to continue the upward momentum? While neither has had "big time" success, both have coached at low level schools in largely irrelevant conferences (apologies to the MVC). If SLU can sustain a top-25 ranking this year and not lose out on the recruiting battles perhaps their coaching acumen could finally be put to use at a school where sustained success is possible. What are the board's thoughts?

Kappy,

An interesting thought. It all depends on the Keith Carter, Austin McBroom, Jared Drew, Grandy Glaze, John Manning types; If they stay on then I think what you lay out is very feasible. In my opinion, the next 2 years, our players are good enough to finish top 3 in the A10 with me as the coach. Evans, McCall, Jett were among the best in the A-10 as sophomores last year and they are only going to get better.

I agree that we need to keep the faith with Crews, Whitesell and the current Majerus system that has been drilled in the players head since they stepped on campus. They have seen the success that it brings last March, and the veterans have bought in. Changing coaches/systems now just bc Jim Crews isnt sexy, wastes 2 years of Evans/Loe/McCall/Jett dominating in RM's system.

-Nick

It's not speculation - they never signed him to a contract extension. Hell, they should have extended his contract after the CBI season when there was every indication that the program was trending in the right direction.

If the university had information on Majerus' health, or even concerns about it, they should have worked with him on a succession plan to avoid the very situation that we now face.

In preparing my above post, I found this article republished in 2010 surrounding the aftermath of the 5-23 year (1991/1992). Not directly applicable but I forgot how all that went down with Grawer and no extension. As it suggested, no recruits were signed.

Funding, planning, foresight with personnel in an athletic program does not seem to be the speciality of Biondi. As I remember he fired Brad after most positions were filled and after the spring recruiting session, before he had Rickma lined up. Who was his plan B?

How could they let Porter and Harriman go if there were concerns about Rickma's health or at least you have a coach in waiting a la Matt Painter? What do you tell recruits or is this year a wasted recruiting year?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-s-four-freshmen-and-a-trip-down-an-unpleasant/article_506c7798-0a24-11e0-9e04-00127992bc8b.html

I've read a lot of apathy about Crews or Whitsell being handed the keys to RM's car permanently. While I'll be the first to admit that seems like the easy (and cost effective) way out that FB would likely endorse isn't it a possibility that a return trip to the NCAA this year would put them in a position to continue the upward momentum? While neither has had "big time" success, both have coached at low level schools in largely irrelevant conferences (apologies to the MVC). If SLU can sustain a top-25 ranking this year and not lose out on the recruiting battles perhaps their coaching acumen could finally be put to use at a school where sustained success is possible. What are the board's thoughts?

Again, he has to accomplish 3 goals this year: 1.) Take us dancing, 2.) Land 2 of the recruits we were pursuing prior to this, 3.) Keep the players SLU Nick mentioned. If he does all that, he deserves to stay. Miss out on one, he should be gone. That would be continuity of RM's plan for success.

Again, he has to accomplish 3 goals this year: 1.) Take us dancing, 2.) Land 2 of the recruits we were pursuing prior to this, 3.) Keep the players SLU Nick mentioned. If he does all that, he deserves to stay. Miss out on one, he should be gone. That would be continuity of RM's plan for success.

I don't disagree with you but practically speaking. How do you recruit when you have no guarantee that you will be there? Come play for me at SLU .... except I may not be the coach? THis is the problem with "interim" coaches.

It's not speculation - they never signed him to a contract extension. Hell, they should have extended his contract after the CBI season when there was every indication that the program was trending in the right direction.

If the university had information on Majerus' health, or even concerns about it, they should have worked with him on a succession plan to avoid the very situation that we now face.

There was still time to give him an extension. Wasn't it Chris May that said on numerous occasions "Coach Majerus can stay here as long as he wants." Just because they didn't do it sooner doesn't mean they didn't intend to do so. It is now a moot point. To the point that there is no plan of succession how do you know? It is Monday morning this event happened Friday. Or maybe there was a plan that has to be adjusted do unforeseen circumstances.

I liked the Women's HC choice. I'm not happy with that Majerus is out that will hurt SLU (not to mention I hope his health improves). There just isn't enough known to begin bashing SLU right now.

I don't disagree with you but practically speaking. How do you recruit when you have no guarantee that you will be there? Come play for me at SLU .... except I may not be the coach? THis is the problem with "interim" coaches.

Totally agree on recruiting this fall as the most notable hurdle facing our program. This can't be lost on Crews, Whitsell and May but I'd be naive to pretend I know how FB views things. If we can't (or won't) name a replacement now I'd like a committment by the school to keep our next coach in the RM "coaching tree" and sell that as their vision to potential recruits. It may not be the Maji coaching you but his disciples will be.

This approach maximizes the talents and hardwork of our current crop which puts us in the best position to win this year and presumbably allows us to continue to focus on the recruits we've been eying who RM and the staff felt were a good fit.

There was still time to give him an extension. Wasn't it Chris May that said on numerous occasions "Coach Majerus can stay here as long as he wants." Just because they didn't do it sooner doesn't mean they didn't intend to do so. It is now a moot point. To the point that there is no plan of succession how do you know? It is Monday morning this event happened Friday. Or maybe there was a plan that has to be adjusted do unforeseen circumstances.

I liked the Women's HC choice. I'm not happy with that Majerus is out that will hurt SLU (not to mention I hope his health improves). There just isn't enough known to begin bashing SLU right now.

No, just saying that Majerus could have stayed as long as he wanted to is not enough, especially in light of his brief flirtation with SMU a few months ago. If the university was in any way serious about retaining Majerus, they would have worked out a deal.

Presumably, if there were a succession plan in place, they would have made it known and would likely be in the process of executing it now. Obviously neither Harriman nor Jensen figured into our future plans, and opposing coaches have been negatively recruiting against us, using Majerus' health concerns, for some time now.

No, just saying that Majerus could have stayed as long as he wanted to is not enough, especially in light of his brief flirtation with SMU a few months ago. If the university was in any way serious about retaining Majerus, they would have worked out a deal.

Presumably, if there were a succession plan in place, they would have made it known and would likely be in the process of executing it now. Obviously neither Harriman nor Jensen figured into our future plans, and opposing coaches have been negatively recruiting against us, using Majerus' health concerns, for some time now.

Well, they've got a loaded gun to use against us now. Yes, Whitesell has a tough job to convince kids to come here w/o a guarantee RM will return and no guarantee he'll be here, and the former sounds extemely doubtful at this point. It may also be that some or all of these recruits' parents/coaches/advisors asked the question when RM's ills were not known, how long was his contract? What was RM or the ACs supposed to say, "Oh, he can stay as long as he wants. It's open ended." Doesn't sound all that reassuring to me. If they didn't want RM to return or knew his health was a serious issue, more serious being a relative term, they should have given him the authority and funds to nominate some guys he thought would be the best choice to continue what he started.