Off Topic Board

kwyjibo

Steve, Thicks, board,

Could we have a separate "Off-Topic" board for "off-topic" discussions? This board has a capability for many different conferences, right?

You could also have a separate board for soccer so certain people do not get pointlessly riled up.

I even liked the idea of separate trash board.

Billikens.com is due for a Re-design this summer. I try to do one every two years, and I think/hope I will have time after work this summer somewhat. I am staying in DC, so hopefully I won't be too busy.

I have been tempted to add other boards like Tigerboard has, but I don't think we have the viewership to have more than 1 board going consistently.

For example, if I create a soccer board, only a few people I think will check it daily, so many soccer posts would get ignored. But when there is one board, more eyes see it and perhaps contribute.

If others have opinions, please speak up.

Steve

PS The Trash Board will not be recreated, that thing went to Filth, and I am not going to allow that to happen again

I agree with you 100% Steve... the board is configured very well...the amount of viewership is just enough to support one board...sometimes the off topic posts are interesting... people can respond if they like... but the focus is and should remain the basketball team. What are you doing in DC this summer Steve?

If it is a lot of work to add conferences I would understand, but I do not get your point about soccer.

With a soccer board not only would people who are primarily interested in soccer (OK, there are probably not that many) have a place but the people on this (basketball) board who are not interested would not be bothered. Also, trolling about soccer would be greatly reduced which is the primary benefit. If it is low traffic at times (it won't be in season), is that not OK?

This goes for "political" discussions as well. If you really want to talk about something with this group then you could in another conference. No one is hurt and the temptation to pointlessly troll is removed.

This all presumes that you would also move posts to its appropriate site if people post about soccer on the basketball board and vice versa.

I'm a soccer poster and I still don't get why the soccer posts bother anyone or take up extra time. Almost every thread pertaining to soccer makes it clear in the subject ... so just scroll past.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Steve, I at times like to see the soccer news but probably would not go out of my way to look at it so leaving it on the board with basketball is fine. I do kind of agree with either setting up an off topic section - people could write about what they want and ask others to email them or whatever. When the Board gets clogged with personal stuff and way-off topic items then some people will stop visiting it. As far as the Cardinals section - that makes no sense to me. Not everybody is a Cardinal fan or even lives in St. Louis. This is a national Billiken Basketball board primarily and we should not forget its focus. I am a big Cardinals fan but if I want to talk about that I would go to the Cardinals website. Just my thoughts.

Nick got rid of the smack board at the tigerboard, and it's a much nicer place as a result. I don't think billikens.com has the traffic to warrant other boards, to be honest. I don't think that off-topic threads are exactly difficult to ignore if they're on the main page. And in the college basketball offseason there's only so much to talk about, anyway. I think the current setup is fine, but i'm just one person.

>What are you doing in DC

>this summer Steve?

I am working for a History Research project @ GW, that pays the bills mostly for housing. And I hope to be working for John Kerry, I had my interview yesterday. Both would be internships.

Steve

I will add another comment to this line of thinking. As long as the board relates to SLU sports or any SLU activity, that would interesting to read or ignore if the interest is not there but posts and comments should be relevant to SLU. If somebody wants to write about unrelated topics find the appropriate venue.

steve, if you want to change the look add a bell or whistle that is fine, but dont mess with the heart and soul. the one board covers all is fine. the instances of soccer threads or political threads are few and far between. sometimes in the offseason they are actually nice diversions. i wouldnt worry too much about it.