OT: Oriakhi to Mizzou

-there was a line in the post story that this kid is eligible next season because uconn is not able to play in the tourney, is this the real reason? or is it the degree thing? something else?

That's the real reason. If your team is going to be ineligible for post season play due to having a low APR, you can transfer without having to sit out a year.

That's the real reason. If your team is going to be ineligible for post season play due to having a low APR, you can transfer without having to sit out a year.

-i think this is a great rule by the ncaa, kudos to them................................................(and i hope we never get negatively impacted by this one)

Yeah, 4 transfers

Earnest Brown- 6'5 guard, led Auburn in scoring and rebounding in 2012, has 2 yrs left

Keion Bell- 6'3 guard, led Pepperdine in scoring in 2010 and 2011, has 1yr left

Jabari Brown- 6'6 guard, 5 star prospect in 2011, quit Oregon's team last yr, 3yrs left, can play in December

Alex Oriahki, 6'9 center, avg 10ppg and 9rpg for UCONN on 2011 title team, lost time to Andre Drummond this season, 1yr left.

There's no way we would be able to "hang" with this collection of mercenaries (quitters). Mizzou is just too good.

There's no way we would be able to "hang" with this collection of mercenaries (quitters). Mizzou is just too good.

Nah, You guys should be preseason favorites for the final four. Your coach practically invented basketball. No way Mizzou could hang with SLU.

Nah, You guys should be preseason favorites for the final four. Your coach practically invented basketball. No way Mizzou could hang with SLU.

Not buying it... vtime insider told us this year that we couldn't hang with Mizzou and Illinois... so it must be true.

Serious question: Since the NCAA basically wrote the "poor APR means no NCAA tourney rule" two summers ago and in doing so made it impossible for UConn to comply before it went effective (i.e. their average already had too many bad years for them to possibly get out by the time this hit) what would happen to Oriaki's status if the NCAA changes the implementation timeline this summer or allows UConn to use results from this year's students in the averaging?

Many UConn people believe there is still a chance they will be eligible next year and its not clear to me if this free transfer without sitting out rule will still apply if they are eligible.

-kshoe my thought would be if the kid is already gone uconn can be upset and the kid can play at mizzou

Why?

My understanding is the rule is "seniors to be are eligible to transfer and play immediately because their current school is ineligible for the NCAA tournament." The rule isn't "seniors to be are eligible to transfer and play immediately because they thought their current school would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament."

Now, maybe a special dispensation will be made in this case but that is the question.

From a SLU fan's standpoint the headline here isn't "Oriakhi to Mizzou" as much as "Oriakhi Chooses Mizzou over Xavier". He would have been a major front-line pickup for Xavier, now that Frease and Walker are graduating. They have a very, very strong 4-man class coming in with those two, Holloway, and McKenzie on the way out. The fact that they are in the mix for a few other transfers makes me think that one more guy might be leaving. Lyons and Martin were both rumored to be leaving but that may have changed after the Tournament.

From a SLU fan's standpoint the headline here isn't "Oriakhi to Mizzou" as much as "Oriakhi Chooses Mizzou over Xavier". He would have been a major front-line pickup for Xavier, now that Frease and Walker are graduating. They have a very, very strong 4-man class coming in with those two, Holloway, and McKenzie on the way out. The fact that they are in the mix for a few other transfers makes me think that one more guy might be leaving. Lyons and Martin were both rumored to be leaving but that may have changed after the Tournament.

Lyons was thinking about leaving? For the NBA?!?!

Lyons was thinking about leaving? For the NBA?!?!

I was hearing earlier this season that he said he'd rather go to Europe than come back for his final season. He'd probably have declared for the draft, gone undrafted, and gone to Europe. And Martin seemed destined to transfer. But both were singing a different tune during and after the Sweet 16 run. I would bet Lyons returns but could still see Martin transferring.

Serious question: Since the NCAA basically wrote the "poor APR means no NCAA tourney rule" two summers ago and in doing so made it impossible for UConn to comply before it went effective (i.e. their average already had too many bad years for them to possibly get out by the time this hit) what would happen to Oriaki's status if the NCAA changes the implementation timeline this summer or allows UConn to use results from this year's students in the averaging?

Many UConn people believe there is still a chance they will be eligible next year and its not clear to me if this free transfer without sitting out rule will still apply if they are eligible.

I'm pretty sure UCONN has already appealed this and got turned down. If their appeal would have been successful, Oriaki would've had to sit out a year like any other transfer does.

I'm pretty sure UCONN has already appealed this and got turned down. If their appeal would have been successful, Oriaki would've had to sit out a year like any other transfer does.

They appealed and were turned down based on existing rules. My understanding is they think there is a good chance the rules will be changed this summer or the implementation schedule will be postponed.

To draw an admittedly weak comparison to our leagl system, the judge has said "based on the current rules, you are guilty" but if the lawmakers were to go out and re-write the rules then anything goes.

Here is an ESPN article from earlier in the year on the topic.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7723254/uconn-huskies-eligibility-not-decided-july

Of particular importance to Mizzou fans:

"Center Alex Oriakhi, who would be a senior next year, informed the school this week that he intends to transfer. His father told the Hearst Connecticut Media Group that he made that decision because of the NCAA eligibility issue. If the NCAA rules UConn ineligible for next season's tournament, Oriakhi, because he would be in his final year of eligibility, could play at another Division I school immediately.

But if UConn is declared eligible for the 2013 postseason, Oriakhi would have to sit out a year. Underclassmen would have to sit out a year either way."

Here is another article on it:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/4/5/2928770/uconn-ncaa-tournament-ban-apr

Why?

My understanding is the rule is "seniors to be are eligible to transfer and play immediately because their current school is ineligible for the NCAA tournament." The rule isn't "seniors to be are eligible to transfer and play immediately because they thought their current school would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament."

Now, maybe a special dispensation will be made in this case but that is the question.

-i was under the incorrect impression that uconn had already been declared ineligible as their appeal was denied, i now see they may have another chance, my apologies

-now i see the complete cluster the ncaa has created with regards uconn and i guess some others given the statement by the chairman that they have other appeals to consider at their april meeting

-my fondness for this rule is also waning as i see the 'free' transfer is only available to seniors, that is crap, it should be available to all if the goal is academic integrity

-it looks like they (the ncaa) are trying to do the right thing but can't figure out how to do it