Air Jordair

How about the site below? The shirt doesn't say "Jordair Jett of Saint Louis University". It says airjordair and has an image of a dude with whacky hair. Seems like it could be Jordair Air Compressors to me.

http://www.jordair.ca/

I agree with Skip on this. It is BS and I don't think SLU has any ability to say something about this. As long as we don't involve Jordair, I think we should make the shirts. Did Kentucky tells its fans to stop wearing Jorts....of course not. Only at SLU....

Quailman - I didn't get an order in, but if you start selling again, please let me/the board know. I planned on ordering 2.

maybe it is because saint louis university and billikens.com has a slight connection these days. if i recall, last fall steve agreed to take video's and othe feed information and post on the front page. plus there is no doubt that there are Athletic Department personnel that do post on the website.

thus, slu attys might be playing caustiously that there is a "connection" that then would put issues on this board at the direction of the ncaa guidelines. if you all notice, if you go into the billiken store at the fetz, there is no clothing that has a direct connection to any specific player. dont you think if they could they would? the ncaa says they cant. thus if they (the ncaa) might construe this site to be an "arm" of slu, the atty's are going to do everything they can to stop any activities that might be considered against the guidelines.

i truly never thought of it prior to it happening. in fact as i said before, i assumed the closeness to a protected nike marketing scheme "air jordan" would be a bigger issue. think about the north face lawsuit a couple years ago vs the kid in st louis that started printing south butt clothes. i believe that south butt was sued and eventually they went to court, were ordered to try to work it out and i believe south butt is no more. my guess is that north face paid them off, but not before a lot of time and money was spent.

i am not an atty, but just trying to compare previous instances as to where the real issues are with "air jordair".

maybe it is because saint louis university and billikens.com has a slight connection these days. if i recall, last fall steve agreed to take video's and othe feed information and post on the front page. plus there is no doubt that there are Athletic Department personnel that do post on the website.

thus, slu attys might be playing caustiously that there is a "connection" that then would put issues on this board at the direction of the ncaa guidelines. if you all notice, if you go into the billiken store at the fetz, there is no clothing that has a direct connection to any specific player. dont you think if they could they would? the ncaa says they cant. thus if they (the ncaa) might construe this site to be an "arm" of slu, the atty's are going to do everything they can to stop any activities that might be considered against the guidelines.

i truly never thought of it prior to it happening. in fact as i said before, i assumed the closeness to a protected nike marketing scheme "air jordan" would be a bigger issue. think about the north face lawsuit a couple years ago vs the kid in st louis that started printing south butt clothes. i believe that south butt was sued and eventually they went to court, were ordered to try to work it out and i believe south butt is no more. my guess is that north face paid them off, but not before a lot of time and money was spent.

i am not an atty, but just trying to compare previous instances as to where the real issues are with "air jordair".

South Butt and North Face settled out of court and South Butt is still around

I'm only a law student, and I haven't covered this kind of law, but from the little bit I know about the NCAA, anything could happen and SLU is only doing what they can to keep one of their players eligible.

Basically, money cannot be made off the name or likeness of an amateur athlete. An example would be that if you ever look at the cover of any college sports themed video game, the player on the cover is always a player who is no longer playing in college.

I remember back a number of years ago that a Kentucky player was almost declared ineligible because there was some memorabilia showing the team celebrating a national title that was sold. The picture included an underclassmen.

Not sure if this has anything to do with Nike, or if the Billiken trademark also covers current players, but from where I'm sitting, the eligility of a key player isn't even remotely worth risking so a few people can have a cool t-shirt.

Cease and Desist from the athletics department...

I was planning to order the new batch of shirts on Monday so unfortunately, at this point, anyone who filled out that form will not be getting a shirt. I replied to the email stating that it is not a commercial product, I am not profiting, and JJ played no part in the development of the t-shirt. I'm pretty sure I am not breaking any rules but I don't blame them for wanting to be on the safe side. I have yet to get a response from them and I doubt I ever will. If I can somehow prove that I am selling the shirts at cost (which would be closer to $8 due to the large number of orders) then you will all be the first to know.

Curious as to how many orders you had? It is a very cool t-shirt!

I'm only a law student, and I haven't covered this kind of law, but from the little bit I know about the NCAA, anything could happen and SLU is only doing what they can to keep one of their players eligible.

Basically, money cannot be made off the name or likeness of an amateur athlete. An example would be that if you ever look at the cover of any college sports themed video game, the player on the cover is always a player who is no longer playing in college.

I remember back a number of years ago that a Kentucky player was almost declared ineligible because there was some memorabilia showing the team celebrating a national title that was sold. The picture included an underclassmen.

Not sure if this has anything to do with Nike, or if the Billiken trademark also covers current players, but from where I'm sitting, the eligility of a key player isn't even remotely worth risking so a few people can have a cool t-shirt.

I get it may be against NCAA rules. My question though is does the athletic department have any real authority to stop someone if they decided to do it anyway. Would the athletic department have a case in court and if so why?

My point would be that the NCAA rules are silly. So if I wanted to say screw Mizzou. I could go donate $100 to the Mizzou athletic department and then openly pay players a bit of cash and they'd be in violation .... even if they instructed me not to and threatened me with court action if I did it.

law basically states that you are allowed to copy someones material if you use it as satire. South Butt was basically deemed satire of north face. I believe the kid was making something like $5000 a year before he got sued and now runs south butt making at least 10 times that much. north face really screwed up by not just paying the kid off.

I get it may be against NCAA rules. My question though is does the athletic department have any real authority to stop someone if they decided to do it anyway. Would the athletic department have a case in court and if so why?

My understanding is that the AD did not force the shirts not to be sold, but that they told Steve the situation and asked him to take it down.

law basically states that you are allowed to copy someones material if you use it as satire. South Butt was basically deemed satire of north face. I believe the kid was making something like $5000 a year before he got sued and now runs south butt making at least 10 times that much. north face really screwed up by not just paying the kid off.

That isn't true. The South Butt is no longer in existence.

I also thought it was still doing business. A google search found this quote by jwinkelmann on Reddit's AMA, (ask me anything):

[S] 70 points71 points72 points 6 days

ago

Well, unfortunately I personally cannot sell the South Butt passive-aggressive ######-you gear anymore. However, it is being sold at some places online I hear and I know in St. Louis it is sold at the Mills Mall. But I am selling some new gear making fun of the preppy wearing bro douchers with my spoof on POLO called OLOP by Lalph Rauren. And to uphold our spirit of the butt we are selling another new line called The Butt Face.

The dirtyricans mother, motherrican, makes tshirts. She will be happy to make them for you. Just bring what you want on the shirt. I'm getting a no one wants to play at the fetz shirt made.

I want one of these...muchos por favor. :)

So happy I got my jj shirt. Sorry for any who didnt... I tried to get that ball rolling when I thought it was ok.