Keith Carter Tonight

I know that this is a busy time but thought I'd pass this on. Illinois state title game just finished up on ESPN 3. Proviso East v Simeon. Proviso fell a little short to nat'l #1 Simeon. Keith carter played really well and had some nice buckets past and around defenders. Looks like he is the real deal and will be a great addition to the bills next year.

He's super fast, defends, and although he didn't have a great offensive night he had some really nice takes into the paint against multiple and taller defenders. He missed a few 3s, but I think Proviso as a whole was 0-16 last night. He's going to be fun to have around for 4 years.

I know that this is a busy time but thought I'd pass this on. Illinois state title game just finished up on ESPN 3. Proviso East v Simeon. Proviso fell a little short to nat'l #1 Simeon. Keith carter played really well and had some nice buckets past and around defenders. Looks like he is the real deal and will be a great addition to the bills next year.

Did you happen to see future Spartan Jabari Parker? How did he look?

Did you happen to see future Spartan Jabari Parker? How did he look?

Parker played well but did not look as good as he did in some earlier games. If I had not heard of him I would not have known he was the top ranked junior in the country. However, he is the real deal. Carter will be a great addition to our team.

Parker played well but did not look as good as he did in some earlier games. If I had not heard of him I would not have known he was the top ranked junior in the country. However, he is the real deal. Carter will be a great addition to our team.

Who would you compare Carter to and how do you see him fitting in with the current core of guards?

Who would you compare Carter to and how do you see him fitting in with the current core of guards?

I have watched two of his games online now (and all of those highlight reels), and he isn't exactly like any of the guards we have. KM gets to the hole with an explosive first step and finishes with strength, MM is quick and has that nifty baseline layup and soft-touch, JJ is just a freak athletically without much offensive polish at this point.

KC will be more of an ankle-breaker, he has that ability to penetrate against the defense and is a combination of strength and speed. He should be able to pick up Majerus' D and succeed at one-on-one defense (which will be more relevant to any playing time he gets than his offense, if the past is any indication). Another thing I noticed is that he seems to be more patient than other players with his ability. He doesn't try to embarrass his defender every possession, and is as likely to pass after beating his man as he is to finish the play himself. Perhaps this comes from playing with other collegiate-level talents at Proviso East. He knows how to play within himself, and therefore we hopefully won't see the turnover problems that plagued JJ early in his career. His shot looks good, and he can hit from deep, but he doesn't look like a future 40%+ threat from 3. He could get there, but from what I have seen he is a bit too inconsistent. All in all, he will add a slightly different skill-set to the Three Amigos, but will definitely be able to play at - and maybe someday above - their level.

I have watched two of his games online now (and all of those highlight reels), and he isn't exactly like any of the guards we have. KM gets to the hole with an explosive first step and finishes with strength, MM is quick and has that nifty baseline layup and soft-touch, JJ is just a freak athletically without much offensive polish at this point.

KC will be more of an ankle-breaker, he has that ability to penetrate against the defense and is a combination of strength and speed. He should be able to pick up Majerus' D and succeed at one-on-one defense (which will be more relevant to any playing time he gets than his offense, if the past is any indication). Another thing I noticed is that he seems to be more patient than other players with his ability. He doesn't try to embarrass his defender every possession, and is as likely to pass after beating his man as he is to finish the play himself. Perhaps this comes from playing with other collegiate-level talents at Proviso East. He knows how to play within himself, and therefore we hopefully won't see the turnover problems that plagued JJ early in his career. His shot looks good, and he can hit from deep, but he doesn't look like a future 40%+ threat from 3. He could get there, but from what I have seen he is a bit too inconsistent. All in all, he will add a slightly different skill-set to the Three Amigos, but will definitely be able to play at - and maybe someday above - their level.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, sounds like a real exciting Billiken prospect!

Granted I only saw one game, but Sterling Brown (Shannon's brother) was a beast against Simeon (game high 25 points). He's a 6'4" SG. I have no idea who's recruiting him, but why not get a Proviso East pipeline started with KC?