Bad News last night for the A10

We should be in. Only concern possibly is if we lose to Duq in this upcoming letdown-road-sandwich game then lose first rounder in the A-10 Tourney then someone other than Temple wins A-10 and NCAA decides A-10 gets 2 teams, Temple and the A-10 surprise tourney winner (X? St. Joe?), which would be sickening. Other upsets in other tourneys could affect us, too.

We have to take it one game at a time, which sounds really easy but it is the hardest thing in the world to do. You think the SLU players aren't doing the same thing we are? Looking ahead, scheming about how many they have to win in the A-10 tournament or worrying about possible seeding in the NCAAs when they should be 100% focused on DU? It's impossible not to focus on those things, which is exactly why we lost to Rhode Island and another reason i'm worried about this DU game.

Hey Jimmy-

The only thing I like about you is your msg board name. Stop bellyaching.

How many teams with a double digit win total in Big East Conference games don't make the tournament?

it is the rare year that ANY bcs (minus the PAC 10 which is all but an after thought in the bcs talk these days) schools with a 500 conference record does not get in the tourney.

We should be in. Only concern possibly is if we lose to Duq in this upcoming letdown-road-sandwich game then lose first rounder in the A-10 Tourney then someone other than Temple wins A-10 and NCAA decides A-10 gets 2 teams, Temple and the A-10 surprise tourney winner (X? St. Joe?), which would be sickening. Other upsets in other tourneys could affect us, too.

Agreed. If SLU doesn't win the A10 tourney, I am rooting for Temple to do it. In fact, wouldn't it be nice if we knocked off Temple en route to winning out? That could result in a pretty nice bump in seeding.

Agreed. If SLU doesn't win the A10 tourney, I am rooting for Temple to do it. In fact, wouldn't it be nice if we knocked off Temple en route to winning out? That could result in a pretty nice bump in seeding.

it would have to be in the championship game as we are the top-two seeds

To be clear, those estimates are per year for six years, so whatever number we come up with you can multiply by 6 (if you ignore present valuing).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19underdogs.html Here is your article.

75% goes to the program that earns it. 25% to the rest of the league evenly. So if SLU makes a run to the S16, this year they would gain 550k minimum. That would continue to be paid out for 5 years after this. If we could start making consistent trips to the tourney and win a game or two, you start getting up there in $ paid.

Butler is bringing in 4,000,000 a year give or take for the Horizon. Not sure how they pay out, but that is the type of money we are talking. That would be the equivalent of 2nd round or sweet 16 every year.

https://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/3b09b5004e0d54799ef1fe1ad6fc8b25/2010+Division+I+Basketball+Distribution.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=3b09b5004e0d54799ef1fe1ad6fc8b25 - 2011 payouts and breakdowns.

You are saying if we end up with 24 wins we still might not make it.....no way we don't make it in with 24.

I am saying it ain't over till its over. The Selection Committee has screwed other teams so why not us? My point is the BCS schools on the edge can leap frog over non BCS schools by having a strong tourney show and a good record over their last 10 games. Non BCS schools do not get that benefit. I just heard Mike DeCourcey? on with Bernie and he says we are in and is actually surprised that we are being talked about as a 10 seed. He did mention that he does believe that a 10 or 11th seed is better than a 8 or 9th. If we win Sat. then I think how we do in the tourney is not a big deal after hearing him.

How many teams with a double digit win total in Big East Conference games don't make the tournament?

I am not sure what your question is - but if you are saying that the BE will get all their teams in with double digit win totals then you are making my point.

http://www.nytimes.c...9underdogs.html Here is your article.

75% goes to the program that earns it. 25% to the rest of the league evenly. So if SLU makes a run to the S16, this year they would gain 550k minimum. That would continue to be paid out for 5 years after this. If we could start making consistent trips to the tourney and win a game or two, you start getting up there in $ paid.

Butler is bringing in 4,000,000 a year give or take for the Horizon. Not sure how they pay out, but that is the type of money we are talking. That would be the equivalent of 2nd round or sweet 16 every year.

https://www.ncaa.org...ef1fe1ad6fc8b25 - 2011 payouts and breakdowns.

Thanks for finding that. To summarize, the Bills simply getting to the NCAA tournament this year is going to be worth approximately $1 million ($225k x 75% x 6 years). Getting to the Sweet 16 would be worth $3mm. That is on top of increased donations, season ticket sales next year. etc. Big time bucks for a school that can't afford to be on t.v. or take charter flights.

It would be fascinating to see how other conferences do this. For example, if the MVC splits everything evenly, it would be far more lucrative to be in the A-10 (assuming you think you'll make the tourney once in a while) than the MVC, even if everything else was equal, which we know it isn't.

I am not sure what your question is - but if you are saying that the BE will get all their teams in with double digit win totals then you are making my point.

Both South Florida and Cincy had double digit Big East win totals before last night's games. Their wins had no impact on them making the tournament. They were already in.

Cincy's SOS at the moment is 100. That is tough to do while playing in a conference like the Big East. They played a non-conference schedule which included home games against powerhouse teams like Alabama St, Jacksonville St, Presbyterian (who they lost to), Northwestern St, Miami OH, Wright St, Radford, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Chicago St. Depsite an RPI that will probably be in the mid-70s I don't think they'll be left out with 11+ Big East wins.

Thanks for finding that. To summarize, the Bills simply getting to the NCAA tournament this year is going to be worth approximately $1 million ($225k x 75% x 6 years). Getting to the Sweet 16 would be worth $3mm. That is on top of increased donations, season ticket sales next year. etc. Big time bucks for a school that can't afford to be on t.v. or take charter flights.

It would be fascinating to see how other conferences do this. For example, if the MVC splits everything evenly, it would be far more lucrative to be in the A-10 (assuming you think you'll make the tourney once in a while) than the MVC, even if everything else was equal, which we know it isn't.

Agreed. It makes a lot more sense to be in the A10 assuming this is fact. I always thought of it as a disadvantage. Splitting 14 ways vs 10 or 12 being my rationale.