Open Letter to Students

Maybe someone from the athletic department or coaching staff could address the various fraternities and sororities at their respective chapter meetings - tell them about the team, how we're trying to establish a true home court advantage, and tell them that we need them to show up, wear blue, make noise and be rowdy. Let them know that when they look back on their college years, going to the games and having a great time with their friends will be among their fondest memories...but they actually have to go to the games in order to make those memories.

You'd have a captive audience to send your message to, and sometimes with Greeks, a personal appeal can be effective.

I would bet the farm that if RM would spend 10 minutes with every Greek organization that he would own them. I would gladly trade some of his media time for some student time. Go see the kids! They would respond to him, and I think he would enjoy it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, throwdown. I think we ought to set up a race of 105.2 times around the 'Fetz. We could even sell beer and make it a fundraiser for the Slunatics. If we wanted to get even more students to attend, maybe we could require these two to wear razorsharp "hubcaps" on the outside of their knees.

On second thought, Nobody wants to run at the 'Fetz. B)

Wow, throwdown. I think we ought to set up a race of 105.2 times around the 'Fetz. We could even sell beer and make it a fundraiser for the Slunatics. If we wanted to get even more students to attend, maybe we could require these two to wear razorsharp "hubcaps" on the outside of their knees.

On second thought, Nobody wants to run at the 'Fetz. B)

Halftime show for the Xavier game.

I would bet the farm that if RM would spend 10 minutes with every Greek organization that he would own them. I would gladly trade some of his media time for some student time. Go see the kids! They would respond to him, and I think he would enjoy it.

This was done at the school I attended during a one year football revival that took place. The head coach promised if we attended he would personally have shirts made for us if we showed up with spirit. (he wanted to provide beer to help the spirit but thought that would be inappropriate) The AD decided to make a contest and the fraternity and sorority that had the highest attendance and showed the most school spirit received 120 free shirts that they could design. This resulted in by far the biggest display of school spirit the school has seen in years.

Let's go. I beat you in the every other race we've been in together. You shouldn't be talking to someone you've lost to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItwY_0QcDs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Backhand > bk

I think it's fantastic that we have to bribe students to come out for sporting events and support their school

They are having a big party starting at 11-3 today in the lower gym. From the pictures, it looks like they put a lot of effort into it and they are offering food and prizes--I hope they come, but I am not holding my breath.

They are having a big party starting at 11-3 today in the lower gym. From the pictures, it looks like they put a lot of effort into it and they are offering food and prizes--I hope they come, but I am not holding my breath.

Its Mardi Gras, SLU's pep rally is going to be empty

Additional factors that you haven't considered are that the Cardinals were mediocre during the time, and I think there was an impact from the strike/lockout; there was no football team in St. Louis (at first); and the economy was much more bullish (and gas wasn't nearly $4 per gallon!).

Yeah, plus I heard that PT's and Roxy's have 1/2 price lap dances on Wed. nights now. Back in the Spoon days, you had to pay full price!

third, no doubt the casual fan of st louis was more interested in seeing louisville, marquette, depaul, cincy, memphis etc than the a-10.

IMHO, this is, by far the biggest reason for poor attendance. 80% of the people at the games are "casual" fans, compared to the posters on this board, they wantto see top 25 ratings, and marquee teams coming into the Fetz.

Of course, that will all change as soon as we join the Catholic Athletic Conference ( working title) which will include perennial top 25 teams- Georgetown, Notre Dame, Marquette, Xavier, Villanova, Creighton, as well as Seton hall, Dayton, DePaul, Providence, maybe St. Joseph's, and NOT Duquense.

Next weekend I should be free, I'm training for a marathon in April in Asia right now. Are you running Chicago?

PM me your name, I don't even know it. I can't runner stalk you with out it.

I'm doing marathon relay.

PRs:

4:34 mile

17:09 5k

3:33 marathon with a stress fractured metatarsal

I ran 17:40 in the Billiken 5k that you were in.

Give us a report 05! If they are not there now ( it is a bit early) I am hoping they come as it gets closer to game time!

There are about 50 kids here now. We are all having a great time.

Sorry having a big pep rally on Mardi Gras vs Fordham is a huge waste of resources

It's actually not.... Believe it or not, not all students wake up and drink at 7am. We have joined forces with Billikens After Dark and are throwing this pep rally to entertain the students that don't go down to Soulard.

There are about 50 kids here now. We are all having a great time.

It's actually not.... Believe it or not, not all students wake up and drink at 7am. We have joined forces with Billikens After Dark and are throwing this pep rally to entertain the students that don't go down to Soulard.

Thats good to hear. I think its great that you are posting on here and are trying to get some idea, good stuff. Just hoping for a good and raucous crowd today.