No love from the AP or coaches

Maybe that is a good thing.

It will probably take a home court win over Xavier to get SLU ranked in the polls. Some of the national pundits, who are ahead of the crowd, are taking notice of SLU.

I find it fascinating that Notre Dame has risen from near oblivion to suddenly being ranked, this despite an RPI of 40 as of Sunday's play, whereas SLU's RPI was 23.

It will probably take a home court win over Xavier to get SLU ranked in the polls. Some of the national pundits, who are ahead of the crowd, are taking notice of SLU.

I find it fascinating that Notre Dame has risen from near oblivion to suddenly being ranked, this despite an RPI of 40 as of Sunday's play, whereas SLU's RPI was 23.

Totally agree, but ND is a much sexier name to throw out there than SLU

And ND also has beaten a handful of "ranked" teams, including #2 Syracuse. Those are attention getters....we lack any of those.

And ND lost by 29 points to Mizzou in KC and by 20 points to Gonzaga in Spokane. Those were also attention getters for this observer. Presumably the "We are ND" Exemption is now evident with the voters.

Next, watch Texas rise from the deep abyss, along with Washington and/or Arizona from the Pathetic (Pac) 12.

And ND also has beaten a handful of "ranked" teams, including #2 Syracuse. Those are attention getters....we lack any of those.

Finally, someone who gets it.

ND has beat 'Cuse, Louisville, U Conn, WV, Marquette. Four are top 20 give or take. WV is 40th.

ND SOS is 33.

Big wins, especially on the road, count in a postive way much, much more than bad losses penalize a team.

Finally, someone who gets it.

Do the routs ND suffered to Mizzou and Gonzaga no longer count under the "entire body of work"/"eye test" standard? Evidently those routs are no longer part of the entire body. They've been exorcised from the pundits' consciousness.

ND's RPI is 40, yet the voters have ND ranked in the Top 25. SLU's RPI is now 22, yet SLU remains unranked by the voters. Thus, SLU's RPI is significantly better than ND's RPI, and that's following the BCS's own self-perpetuating rating system, the RPI.

This one cannot merely be rationalized by the Luck of the Irish.

How much time per week do you think a coach spends thinking about how to vote in the coaches poll? 10-15 minutes? Do you think any of them use sophisticated algorithms or high speed super computers, like KenPom or the Wiz? Doubtful. It also makes sense that the voters think more in terms of what a team has done lately vs. their entire body of work.

ND beat then #10 Louisville, #1 Syracuse, #19 Uconn, and #15 Marq. in the last 5 weeks or so, plus they are 9-3 in an excellent conference. Coaches evidently take notice of that, as does the general public, who aren't near as well-informed as us.

Hey, there's no reason to hate on Notre Dame. At least they believe in God, unlike the pagans at Mi$$ou.

I look forward to SLU and ND being in the same all-Catholic conference some day.

I don't think it's a "Notre Dame bias" but rather a "BCS bias." This is what happens to the non-power conference members. Frankly, I'm surprised Murray State didn't even drop out witrh their one loss. Harvard did yet did so by losing at a place (Princeton) they haven't won at in years. A rivalry week game. And Harvard now resides one notch above us in the AP poll. Only six teams are in the AP from non-power conferences. Less than 25%. In the coach's it five teams and 20%. Face it -- that's the piece of the pie we are playing for. We might only get ranked by winning out.

Which is fine by me --- I hope these same coaches pay us no nevermind when it comes tournament time and we stun them when it counts.

Which is fine by me --- I hope these same coaches pay us no nevermind when it comes tournament time and we stun them when it counts.

Totally agree. As much as I'd like to be ranked, at this point in the season...I'd rather stay under the radar of the Top 25, win the rest of our games, make the NCAA tourney and then shock the world!

How much time per week do you think a coach spends thinking about how to vote in the coaches poll? 10-15 minutes? Do you think any of them use sophisticated algorithms or high speed super computers, like KenPom or the Wiz? Doubtful. It also makes sense that the voters think more in terms of what a team has done lately vs. their entire body of work.

ND beat then #10 Louisville, #1 Syracuse, #19 Uconn, and #15 Marq. in the last 5 weeks or so, plus they are 9-3 in an excellent conference. Coaches evidently take notice of that, as does the general public, who aren't near as well-informed as us.

Hey, there's no reason to hate on Notre Dame. At least they believe in God, unlike the pagans at Mi$$ou.

I look forward to SLU and ND being in the same all-Catholic conference some day.

That's a pompous and utterly ludicrous statement.