Dayton Post-Game Thoughts

The Pelican

Billikan must still be celebrating this win so I will start the thread.

The obvious:

Great win and very proud of our boys!

FT shooting is going to be the cause of our early death. We will not compete with the big boys at this rate. This needs to be addressed with urgency.

KM is looking more comfortable. Two games in a row where he was a leader and effective. I hope this continues but I am a bit cautious.

JJ performance was underwhelming but considering his wrist injury on Thursday I am he played at all. I expect him to bounce back quickly.

I felt like we contained Dillard pretty well. Johnson had me concerned. Glad to see their two bigs get in foul trouble early. They really clogged the paint.

Nice to see Chaifetz sparring with Archie.

BC is BC. I thought he did well staying out of foul trouble especially with a high energy/emotion game at hand.

The subtle:

DE almost a double-double. Love this guy!

KC and CR are finally settling into their respective roles.

nice to see RL hit a three. I think this is a confidence booster for him.

CE great off the bench with some decent D tonight.

Off Topic:

Watched X today. I can't believe they gave that game away. Would have been a nice win.

That was the first time in my memory that a coach effectively forfeited a competitive game. We were up by 4 with about 15 seconds left and almost completely freaked out about shooting FTs, which meant, at very worst, it would be a 2-possession game if Dayton fouled immediately. What is it about Dayton and psychologically defective coaches?

I'm starting to think that CE may be the pleasant surprise of the year. Decent three-point threat, top of the team in FT% -- but most important, he's almost always 100 percent in the game. The forced OB off the late missed FT was huge.

I'm also thinking that our guards -- all of them -- need to cut down on the cutesy no-look passes. They're very cool when they work, but I believe we're batting less than .500 on them, and on more than half of the misses, it turns into a quick transition basket for the other team.

God bless Dr. Chaifetz, although he really needs to stop hugging the refs during the game. Just leave their envelopes in the usual place. ;)

PS: Did anyone else keep by habit yelling "white" when the ball went out of bounds on them?

That was one of the worst times I've ever seen a coach get a T. Just not smart.

I agree on the TOs. It seems like either we get sped up and turn it over or on the other end try and be too cute and that doesn't work either.

It was a bit weird with the Blue jerseys, but I resorted to pointing versus yelling colors :).

I agree with everything Pelican said, except that it's not a great win or anything to be really proud of. Dayton is in the same class as the Bonnies or Duquesne. They have the most quality wins of anyone in the conference but also some horrible losses.

Really liked the effort (especially on the defensive end) that our guys put forth yesterday...

However, this was the 3rd and a half straight game (the second half @ X) where we have been shooting blanks from deep. Hopefully that means that the Philly teams are in trouble...

I agree that Dayton has slipped back some. They have moved into the 2nd tier of A-10 teams with UMass, Bonnies, & Duq. But even with that said, I would consider last night's win a good win as Dayton is still a B rated team. I would put the win in the same category as the Nova and Okla wins.

Looks like St. Joes has some decent size on the front line (3-4 guys in the 6'8" - 6'9" range), two pretty good starting guards, but not much guard depth. Overall St. Joes does not appear to be a very deep team. Galloway appears to be the deep threat as he shoots 46% from 3 point land.

If we can get active on the defensive boards and hit some 3's, we should be ok. I suspect one of the guards will go off on us (Galloway).

Looks like St. Joes has some decent size on the front line (3-4 guys in the 6'8" - 6'9" range), two pretty good starting guards, but not much guard depth. Overall St. Joes does not appear to be a very deep team. Galloway appears to be the deep threat as he shoots 46% from 3 point land.

If we can get active on the defensive boards and hit some 3's, we should be ok. I suspect one of the guards will go off on us (Galloway).

Kanacevic vs. Conklin could be one for the ages...great matchup...

Like the rest of the board feel FTs will kill us if we don't right the ship fast. Also, feel that the weak link is RL. When he's on the court it's like we have a 6'11" guard. who's not making a decent % of 3s . If he could just play 70% of what a big man should, rebounds, put backs, etc. the Bills would be pretty much unbeatable.

Like the rest of the board feel FTs will kill us if we don't right the ship fast. Also, feel that the weak link is RL. When he's on the court it's like we have a 6'11" guard. who's not making a decent % of 3s . If he could just play 70% of what a big man should, rebounds, put backs, etc. the Bills would be pretty much unbeatable.

I agree Rob needs to show improvement down low offensively, but I have been impressed with his defensive improvments in the post. Much better positioning and effort. I noticed yesterday that he and Cody were switching offense for defense in the last few minutes, so apparently Rick agrees that Rob's defense has improved as well.

I agree Rob needs to show improvement down low offensively, but I have been impressed with his defensive improvments in the post. Much better positioning and effort. I noticed yesterday that he and Cody were switching offense for defense in the last few minutes, so apparently Rick agrees that Rob's defense has improved as well.

+1. My thoughts exactly on Rob.

Billikan must still be celebrating this win so I will start the thread.

The obvious:

Great win and very proud of our boys!

FT shooting is going to be the cause of our early death. We will not compete with the big boys at this rate. This needs to be addressed with urgency.

KM is looking more comfortable. Two games in a row where he was a leader and effective. I hope this continues but I am a bit cautious.

JJ performance was underwhelming but considering his wrist injury on Thursday I am he played at all. I expect him to bounce back quickly.

I felt like we contained Dillard pretty well. Johnson had me concerned. Glad to see their two bigs get in foul trouble early. They really clogged the paint.

Nice to see Chaifetz sparring with Archie.

BC is BC. I thought he did well staying out of foul trouble especially with a high energy/emotion game at hand.

The subtle:

DE almost a double-double. Love this guy!

KC and CR are finally settling into their respective roles.

nice to see RL hit a three. I think this is a confidence booster for him.

CE great off the bench with some decent D tonight.

Off Topic:

Watched X today. I can't believe they gave that game away. Would have been a nice win.

Watch it you just said something not nice about KC - you know who will be all over you.

I actually thought for the time that JJ was in there he played well - he 6 rebounds in 16 minutes.

I agree - KM now has had two games in a row that he has shown a real scoring leading presence.

I was not that impressed with MM - he had 27 minutes and scored 4 pts - 2 on the Technical - and only 1 assist. His defense was good but he did not step up on the offense.