Balloons

slufan13

The balloons are fun, but I say get rid of them. The students get way to distracted by them and they don't yell or clap anymore. They're too busy making stuff out of their balloon. They distract the students more than the other team. I say lose the balloons and keep the noise level up.

The balloons are fun, but I say get rid of them. The students get way to distracted by them and they don't yell or clap anymore. They're too busy making stuff out of their balloon. They distract the students more than the other team. I say lose the balloons and keep the noise level up.

+2

Students were more happy making flag shapes and tying balloons together than cheering. Also,It's a shame that the back 75% of the student section is complacent with just standing there. If they made noise, the slunatics would be LOUD.

The back of the student section was actually making some noise until we got the balloons and then after that it was nothing. It's also hard for everyone to do a cheer when you don't have the clapping. Clapping keeps everyone on the same page. There were a couple times in the second half where we were doing the same cheer but it was a mumbled together.

Atleast they are standing...

In my day we would get yelled at for standing in the SS and making noise.

heck, one time we almost got thrown out of a game by some 'head hancho' Billikens guy because we were ragging on the other teams bench.

Actually, my buddy has been thrown out once or twice in his time for yelling (with some language) at the others in the SS about how lame they were. Ohhhh those were the days...

I did it still sounded serious to me. My apologies.

No problem... I know how lame our SS can be. I think that will only change once we are a dominant team, which we have never been. We wont have a Duke-kansas esq dedicated SS until we have that domination.

....it all comes back to ... Just Win baby..and drink alot on the way.

It's not even like the balloons are distracting the other team. Maybe the white balloons do, but you can hardly see the blue ones against a background of blue.

It's also not distracting because we're not right behind the basket. I don't think we'll ever really have an affect on a shooter or a free throw if we're never allowed behind the basket.

It's also not distracting because we're not right behind the basket. I don't think we'll ever really have an affect on a shooter or a free throw if we're never allowed behind the basket.

Because of the aisle? Almost every stadium is going to have an aisle directly behind the basket. I was never at the Scottrade, but since it's a hockey arena I'm told the stands are pretty shallow. Compared to that, the student section at the 'Fetz is much more in the line of sight for shooters.

Because of the aisle? Almost every stadium is going to have an aisle directly behind the basket. I was never at the Scottrade, but since it's a hockey arena I'm told the stands are pretty shallow. Compared to that, the student section at the 'Fetz is much more in the line of sight for shooters.

Look at the Mizzou game tonight. They have an aisle right there too, but students were floating into the middle of the aisle during the free throws at the end of the game. We get yelled at by security if we're in the aisles during free throws at games.

And there are a lot of stadiums who don't have an aisle behind the backboard. Hell, SIUC doesn't even have an aisle behind the backboard in their student section.

What was the deal with the long haired white shirt clearing the center aisle in the 2nd half?

Not sure, I noticed it, but didn't really catch what was going on.

Either way, I don't think those balloons work and they're a huge distraction to the students anyway.

Blue balloons on a blue background are ineffective. Scratch them. I always wondered why the aisle wasn't packed for FT distractions. I guess they are being policed. You would think we would cut the students some slack on that.

I agree

The only good thing about balloons is the noise made when popped; they don't "wave" well. Fans should only have them for a short time before being asked to pop them. And, to have any visual effect, only balloons of the contrasting color should be deployed at blue/white games.

Suggestions for next year, providing that the noise could actually be heard: 1) pass them out after halftime, pop them when cued during a visitor free throw (I recall popping a paper bag at a game last year); 2) Work with the band to find a piece that would benefit from the sound effect.

Otherwise, just hand them out as souvenirs to kids at family-promotion games.