Importance of Xavier and our NCAA Tourney hopes

Outside of us doing our own winning, two things directly involving Xavier would help us, especially if we end up on the bubble....

1) Xavier's success the rest of the way is very important to our tourney chances. We need them to win every game, except that one game they play in Saint Louis at the end of the A-10 season.

2) Xavier's AD (I think, or someone from their athletic dept) is on the Committee this year. Having beat them at their place is going to be on his mind. He'll have a say, and our win against them at their place (and hopefully one at our place), along with a strong Xavier team, will help boost our chances of getting an at large.

They obviously want us to win the rest accept for the last game too...

Outside of us doing our own winning, two things directly involving Xavier would help us, especially if we end up on the bubble.... 1) Xavier's success the rest of the way is very important to our tourney chances. We need them to win every game, except that one game they play in Saint Louis at the end of the A-10 season. 2) Xavier's AD (I think, or someone from their athletic dept) is on the Committee this year. Having beat them at their place is going to be on his mind. He'll have a say, and our win against them at their place (and hopefully one at our place), along with a strong Xavier team, will help boost our chances of getting an at large. They obviously want us to win the rest accept for the last game too...

excellent post

Do not count out Washington either, their two road wins over the weekend has dropped their RPI into the 60's. While they lost CJ, Woten is coming on strong, they have a couple home games, then the two Oregon's on the road. The may well sneak into the top 50 RPI.

OT but the A-10 ought to learn from the Pac 10 or 12 or whatever it is. They Play Thursday, Saturday or Friday Sunday. But the same four teams play on those days, so all teams have the same rest.

The Huskies' improvement is encouraging for sure. We can also keep an eye on Feb. 18 Bracket Buster tilt UNC-Asheville at Ohio. Dickey vs. Smif. A Legend Buster.

While we will all definitely keep an eye on Dickey vs. Smif, LMU got itself a Bracketbuster game against Valpo. LMU gets the game at home, and Valpo has been pretty bad on the road, with some truly unsightly losses against bad teams like IPFW, IUPUI and Wright St. What looked like a big win for Valpo early in the season on the road (Butler) has lost a lot of its luster considering how mediocre Butler has been this season.

Right now, it looks very good that LMU can finish with a conference record of 11-5. A win against Valpo can potentially give them a decent enough RPI to make the NIT, and at worst, the CBI. At the very least, it should remove some of the stench from that loss there early in the season. It will help our resume a lot not to have any sub-100 RPI losses.

I would really like to see either Washington and Oklahoma move into the top 50. Both would be ideal. Washington has a real chance to run the table in their remaining 9 games and finish 16-2 in the Pac-12. Probably not going to happen, but they really don't have any tough games (at Oregon is probably their toughest) the rest of the way, and have C.J. Wilcox back. As for Oklahoma, the Big 12 is a beast this year, and they still have games against Baylor, Mizzou and Kansas on their schedule. But it is that toughness of their remaining schedule that could help them. If they can even just pull off one of those upsets, and win the other games that they should, then it is also possible for them to climb into the top 50.

JB. Very astute analysis. I would love to see the two B©S teams you mentioned at the end become Top 50 wins. Oklahoma beating 1 of the 3 teams you mentioned at the end would be very, very nice for us. As long as LMU becomes sub-100 RPI, doesn't really leave us with any "eyesore" losses as long as the Bills take care of business on the floor.

The other route is to win in Atlantic City and leave the guesswork for another fanbase.

[

The Huskies' improvement is encouraging for sure. We can also keep an eye on Feb. 18 Bracket Buster tilt UNC-Asheville at Ohio. Dickey vs. Smif. A Legend Buster.

And here I thought you were just an old retired guy w/ nothing better to do than post on Billikens.com. Obvious from your post, Smif v Dicley, you've done your homework. Good job, Westy Pine Jim. I'm sure that game's gonna be big for the Billikens. :ph34r: :ph34r: Old Guy Ninja strikes again.

While we will all definitely keep an eye on Dickey vs. Smif, LMU got itself a Bracketbuster game against Valpo. LMU gets the game at home, and Valpo has been pretty bad on the road, with some truly unsightly losses against bad teams like IPFW, IUPUI and Wright St. What looked like a big win for Valpo early in the season on the road (Butler) has lost a lot of its luster considering how mediocre Butler has been this season.

Right now, it looks very good that LMU can finish with a conference record of 11-5. A win against Valpo can potentially give them a decent enough RPI to make the NIT, and at worst, the CBI. At the very least, it should remove some of the stench from that loss there early in the season. It will help our resume a lot not to have any sub-100 RPI losses.

I would really like to see either Washington and Oklahoma move into the top 50. Both would be ideal. Washington has a real chance to run the table in their remaining 9 games and finish 16-2 in the Pac-12. Probably not going to happen, but they really don't have any tough games (at Oregon is probably their toughest) the rest of the way, and have C.J. Wilcox back. As for Oklahoma, the Big 12 is a beast this year, and they still have games against Baylor, Mizzou and Kansas on their schedule. But it is that toughness of their remaining schedule that could help them. If they can even just pull off one of those upsets, and win the other games that they should, then it is also possible for them to climb into the top 50.

While you are watching Wash & Okla, don't forget about Nova. I have them ranked with those two...all B+. A strong finish by Nova (with maybe an upset of GT) would be beneficial to the Bills too.

I just checked LMU record, I see they beat BYU at the Marriott. I not big follower of BYU basketball but didn't they some phenomenal home streak. So this loss may end up not all that bad.

JB. Very astute analysis. I would love to see the two B©S teams you mentioned at the end become Top 50 wins. Oklahoma beating 1 of the 3 teams you mentioned at the end would be very, very nice for us. As long as LMU becomes sub-100 RPI, doesn't really leave us with any "eyesore" losses as long as the Bills take care of business on the floor.

The other route is to win in Atlantic City and leave the guesswork for another fanbase.

LMU won't be sub-100 RPI because the win against St. Louis is no longer regarded as a "quality" win since you've lost four more.