Beautiful Execution

TheA_Bomb

The most enjoyable thing to me is the great execution by this team. They execute on defense and offense so well and that makes this a complete team. This execution will sustain SLU through shooting droughts by our guys or hot shooting by the other team. Because the execution is constant and the shooting drought or hot streak will eventually end. Conklin had a great tournament but he didn't do it by himself. He is executing getting in position and his team mates are getting him the ball. The balanced attack opens up the lanes for him or can open up the outside shooting for our guards or 7' sniper. Conklin's footwork and finish has improved he makes some shots inside the other team compensates but he can also pass back outside for a 3. Every single player is an effective passer and they value the ball. They've cut down on mistakes and work the ball around for a better shot. On the defensive end in nearly every game, I've witnessed a time when the other team's frustration boils over. That boiling point is usually followed by SLU running up the score and cruising to a double digit victory.

To me that total team effort is more enjoyable than watching a team with one dominate player (Hughes) or a one dimensional 3 point shooting team. This all around team will fare better than those as they are effective in all aspects of the game and a team can't focus on shutting down just one player or aspect of the game. I credit Majerus as the pieces are finally in place and it is a well oiled machine.

A tape of last night's game should be in every coach's video library. The halfcourt O and D were things of beauty, and the shots going in the icing on the cake.

I had the chance to watch the Billikens for the first time this year over the holiday. They looked incredibly polished for this point in the season (a time in which many other teams are not). Should be a very good A-10 team and I suspect a sleeper in the NCAA? Nice to see the revival (even if it is one year later than expected).

The most enjoyable thing to me is the great execution by this team. They execute on defense and offense so well and that makes this a complete team. This execution will sustain SLU through shooting droughts by our guys or hot shooting by the other team. Because the execution is constant and the shooting drought or hot streak will eventually end. Conklin had a great tournament but he didn't do it by himself. He is executing getting in position and his team mates are getting him the ball. The balanced attack opens up the lanes for him or can open up the outside shooting for our guards or 7' sniper. Conklin's footwork and finish has improved he makes some shots inside the other team compensates but he can also pass back outside for a 3. Every single player is an effective passer and they value the ball. They've cut down on mistakes and work the ball around for a better shot. On the defensive end in nearly every game, I've witnessed a time when the other team's frustration boils over. That boiling point is usually followed by SLU running up the score and cruising to a double digit victory.

To me that total team effort is more enjoyable than watching a team with one dominate player (Hughes) or a one dimensional 3 point shooting team. This all around team will fare better than those as they are effective in all aspects of the game and a team can't focus on shutting down just one player or aspect of the game. I credit Majerus as the pieces are finally in place and it is a well oiled machine.

About midway through the first half we were tied, yet I had a very strong feeling we were going to win that game. They flashed a graphic around that time which showed that we had 6 assists and Oklahoma had 0. We were running our offensive sets smoothly, while they were scoring primarily with a bunch of 1 on 1 stuff. I figured there was no way OU was going to be able to sustain that.

I had the chance to watch the Billikens for the first time this year over the holiday. They looked incredibly polished for this point in the season (a time in which many other teams are not). Should be a very good A-10 team and I suspect a sleeper in the NCAA? Nice to see the revival (even if it is one year later than expected).

I suspect at least part of this can be attributed to the Canadian trip and the extra practices as it gave us a head start on the season. What it probbaly means is that eventually other teams will catch up to us to some extent, but it sure is fun right now.

A "mid-major" team with a crafty veteran coach who knows the game, and a deep bench of players who come ready to play as a team every time. Wonderful to watch, with satisfactory results. Where have we seen this before? Oh, yeah, late last summer, when a "mid-market" ball club did fairly well with that approach. Of course they also had a few big-time players to get them all the way, but a good program will attract top talent. Meanwhile, I'm sure enjoying the ride. GO BILLS!

I'm liking the plays we're Conk and CE are rolling off the screens and cutting to the hoop for an easy layup. By the way, if anyone has any doubts about CE's court savvy watch that pass he made to Conk on the back door play. A gem. Almost L. Bird quality.

I loved that back cut Princeton offense move. That is a good point about this team being in mid-season form already. The key is heady play and intensity. They have to be able to keep that up. Great coaches know how to push those buttons and keep their teams focused on every game. Do that and this team will go far. This team is doing it with role players and a few good players. If Majerus ever gets that one or two really special guys on a team that plays like this - watch out - that is what makes for a deep tourney run.

I suspect at least part of this can be attributed to the Canadian trip and the extra practices as it gave us a head start on the season. What it probbaly means is that eventually other teams will catch up to us to some extent, but it sure is fun right now.

I agree and think that those 20 extra practices are paying HUGE dividends early in the year but I also believe that this season really started last year when Kwamain returned and everyone understood the reality was that they needed to just focus on improving with an eye on this season as an opportunity to make a statement. The challenges presented last year helped this team come together and now with every player seemingly bought in to RM's system and knowing and accepting their roles they are able to play with so much confidence TOGETHER.

The Washington game proved to them just how good they can be if they execute and it just carried over to Anaheim.

I also love how the bench is up cheering on almost every play...great sign of a true team spirit in my opinion.

-KM talked on the post game interview how they have great team chemistry, that is awesome

-also, looking at the box score to me an AMAZING stat for our Billikens was every player except The BoneCrusher had an assist, unreal

-being outrebounded by 2 considering going into the game ou was +9 in margin is fantastic

I loved that back cut Princeton offense move. That is a good point about this team being in mid-season form already. The key is heady play and intensity. They have to be able to keep that up. Great coaches know how to push those buttons and keep their teams focused on every game. Do that and this team will go far. This team is doing it with role players and a few good players. If Majerus ever gets that one or two really special guys on a team that plays like this - watch out - that is what makes for a deep tourney run.

Continue to watch and have patience. As good as they are now, the team could even get better. If CE, RL and CR continue to improve, and as KM continues to old form, and if KC continues to want to shoot more, and JJ..., and DE..., and MM..., ......WATCH OUT. As someone else pointed out, there may be a reason this year that the Billiken smiling and winking.

I used to think that no matter what happens this year, we'll be better next year, but I'm not so sure anymore since we lose Conk. Manning has shown a nice touch around the basket, so hopefully he'll be able to somewhat replace Conk's scoring in the paint.

I used to think that no matter what happens this year, we'll be better next year, but I'm not so sure anymore since we lose Conk. Manning has shown a nice touch around the basket, so hopefully he'll be able to somewhat replace Conk's scoring in the paint.

I really wouldn't worry about this at all. If you look back at all of our pre-season navel-gazing threads about who would have to step up and who was going to be a leader etc etc etc I don't think anyone came anywhere close to the scenarios that led us up to this 6-0 point.

We now have an entire squad that has bought into (and, even more important, figured out) RickMa's system. Only two of those players won't return. Of course, we need to keep playing for the rest of the season at the level we've attained, but right now, it bodes well for continuous years of seniors leaving and others stepping up. I bet that at least half of the time it won't be the "others" that we expect it to be.