Billikens vs. Cardinals

SShoe

59 members have voted

1. 1. As a fan, what level of Billiken success would you trade for a Cardinals World Series championship?

• Get to the NCAA tournament.
    • Get to the Sweet 16.
    • Get to the Elite Eight.
    • Get to the Final Four.
    • Win it all.
    • None of the above, I'd prefer a World Series championship over NCAA championship.

I've had this conversation with friends of mine who are shocked when I say that I would prefer just a Final Four appearance over a World Series championship. Hell, an elite eight run may even be preferable over a WS title.

So I'm curious as to what the preference is of other folks on this board. Would you trade a World Series championship for a Final Four appearance, or would we have to win it all? Or would you simply take an NCAA appearance at this point?

If you're not a Cards fan, just imagine it's your favorite MLB, NFL, NBA, or NHL team.

-if you are asking what would i prefer a cardinal championship or a Billiken championship? not even close, Bills EVERY TIME

-a fairly close second (compared to how far behind 3rd place is) is a Blues Stanley Cup

-Bills winning would be just awesome

-Billiken success, just think about that for a moment............

-if you are asking what would i prefer a cardinal championship or a Billiken championship? not even close, Bills EVERY TIME

-a fairly close second (compared to how far behind 3rd place is) is a Blues Stanley Cup

-Bills winning would be just awesome

-Billiken success, just think about that for a moment............

I figured that for most of the posters on this board, but I'm curious to know if the posters are like me and would take a big exciting run that ends in loss over a championship from your second favorite team/sport.

I figured that for most of the posters on this board, but I'm curious to know if the posters are like me and would take a big exciting run that ends in loss over a championship from your second favorite team/sport.

Very interesting poll. I voted for just an NCAA appearance. I have been a fan since 2003 and we have never been announced on Selection Sunday. Therefore I have never been able to fill out a "homer" NCAA bracket and put SLU in the sweet 16. I pick that opportunity over what I experienced in 2006 when I was downtown celebrating with the entire city (which I largely view as a once in lifetime opportunity).

Whoever put they prefer a cards championship over a bills NCAA championship should be banned on this site for a week...only half-kidding

-Nick

Very interesting poll. I voted for just an NCAA appearance. I have been a fan since 2003 and we have never been announced on Selection Sunday. Therefore I have never been able to fill out a "homer" NCAA bracket and put SLU in the sweet 16. I pick that opportunity over what I experienced in 2006 when I was downtown celebrating with the entire city (which I largely view as a once in lifetime opportunity).

Whoever put they prefer a cards championship over a bills NCAA championship should be banned on this site for a week...only half-kidding

-Nick

:(

-Nick

I'm certainly surprised by the number of folks who said they would prefer just reaching the tourney over a WS (or Super Bowl or whatever). I figured there might be a few, just like I'm not surprised to see some prefer a WS over an NCAA ring, but the number certainly exceeded my expectations.

Fortunately, we don't have to choose. Let's get both.

I love baseball and I'm a huge Cardinals fan, but March Madness > Playoff Baseball.

The Cardinals run this year has been the most fun I've ever had watching baseball, but the NCAA Tournament is my favorite time of year and if SLU were in the tourney it would make it even better.

I've had this conversation with friends of mine who are shocked when I say that I would prefer just a Final Four appearance over a World Series championship. Hell, an elite eight run may even be preferable over a WS title.

So I'm curious as to what the preference is of other folks on this board. Would you trade a World Series championship for a Final Four appearance, or would we have to win it all? Or would you simply take an NCAA appearance at this point?

If you're not a Cards fan, just imagine it's your favorite MLB, NFL, NBA, or NHL team.

I voted for Elite 8, but could have gone Sweet 16.

Its a personal decision for all, but simply getting to the NCAA tourney isn't enough for me. Quite frankly we should be doing that every other year on average. Winning a World Series is never an every other year proposition.

This poll isn't asking what you'd prefer to watch, it's quantifying the perceived value of the respective achievements. If you don't care about baseball (or if you're a troll who doesn't care about Billiken basketball) then you might as well just sit this out and let the adults talk.

In my lifetime...

The Cardinals have made the World Series 6 times (including this year), and have won twice

while

The Billikens have made the NCAA tournament 4 times, twice advancing to the second round.

No way I'm giving up a WS (which only goes to 1 team every year, or nobody in 1994), for something that 64+ teams have achieved every year since the mid-80s. I can see if you're too young to remember the 90s teams why you might feel differently, but it shows lack of confidence that you'd sacrifice a WS champioship for a measly first round tourney exit. Ditto for 2nd round appearances. Been there - done that. There's no reason to think we can't get back to that spot next 2 years.

I think you have to hold out for at least a Sweet 16 birth - which they've never achieved in the modern (no matter how you define it) era. A Sweet 16 allows you to soak in the national spotlight and swell the bandwagon for the better part of a week.

On the flip side, you'd have to effing crazy not to trade a WS title for a spot in the Final 4.

There are few things I wouldn't trade for a Billiken final 4

That's what the real poll should be...where is the line drawn...would you trade a kidney? An arm? Leg? ********? First born?

• 2 weeks later...