OT Willie and the Draft

His agent should have advised him not to have a party like that. A small gathering of family at his house would have been more realistic. You don't hold a big get together when you THINK you might be one of the last 15 selections. But I put a lot of the blame on his agent.

i agree. it's my guess this "agent" deserves a lot of of blame starting months ago. probably whispering in the reed family ear all the wrong things instead of:

"hey go straighten out your grades and be a billiken in 2011-12 if you really want to make some money."

i agree. it's my guess this "agent" deserves a lot of of blame starting months ago. probably whispering in the reed family ear all the wrong things instead of:

"hey go straighten out your grades and be a billiken in 2011-12 if you really want to make some money."

I think everyone in Willie's life gives him bad advice. A shame really. That boy needs to be thrown over pappys knee and givin a spanking.

I think everyone in Willie's life gives him bad advice. A shame really. That boy needs to be thrown over pappys knee and givin a spanking.

RM was the best one to advise him on his potential future in the NBA. Surprised, he didn't bring in one of his friends like Karl or Nelson to talk to WR and his dad to inject some reality into their thinking. His best shot now at some $$ is to go European or somewhere on the International scene and make a splash. Sadly, I get the feeling he thinks his talent is such that he doesn't need to put in the work to make it to the next level. If he displays the same attitude in Europe he'll be cut quicker than you can say, Passport please.

These are the big men ... the Americna big men .. who got drafted (obviously ahead of WR): Derrick Williams, Tristan Thompson, the Morris twins, Harris from Tennessee. Faried, and JaJuan Johnson, all in the first round. I don't consider Derrick Williams a PF but he was listed as such so he's listed here but I see him more a small forward, not a WR-comparable player at this point.

In the second round, you get Justin Harper from Richmond, Trey Thompkins, Jeremy Tyler, Jon Leuer, LaVoy Allen, and Vernon Macklin. in this group, i consider Harper to be a small forward as well, one not in WR's fair comparison range. And Tyler is an unknown having not played college ball as far as I can tell. That's it ... 13 American power forwards snatched up in the draft. And someone thinks WR is one of those? Now there's a longshot in this Derby if I've ever seen one.

Who didn't get drafted but had to have more NBA moxie than WR? Just in the A10 I offer Mr. Dayton Flyer himself, Chris Wright. How about A10 POY one-year-removed Kevin Anderson. Damien Saunders. Even X's Jamel McLean. At least Mclean had a reputable body of evidence to back up his work. Malcolm Delaney didn't get drafted out of Va Tech and the ACC. LaceDarius Dunn wasn't selected out of Baylor. Julian Vaughn and Austin Freeman from G-town went untouched. I saw Rick Jackson and Syracuse play and WR ain't no Rick Jackson. Dallas Lauderdale from Ohio State was freakin' hughe in person .... he ain't no WR.

No .... I think those of us that are close to a program or a player think "he's got it" when he really doesn't. And we amplify the SLU-ness of our being but we ain't close. Willie Reed's only chance was to make it at SLu through at least three decent years. He didn't have the stamina for one semester in the classroom. I am not suggesting he will have the stamina to do what it takes to make it to the League ... not from his current level.

RM was the best one to advise him on his potential future in the NBA. Surprised, he didn't bring in one of his friends like Karl or Nelson to talk to WR and his dad to inject some reality into their thinking.

It wouldn't have made any difference. There was no getting through to them. They suffer from selective hearing and selective memory.

Michael Jordan could personally lecture Willie about how he's got to work harder and polish his game if he wants to make it, but that advice goes out the window the second some blogger casually includes Willie in a mock draft.

Any opinion telling them what they want to hear trumps anyone that dares to tell them the truth. The draft party is just the latest example of this.

And Tyler is an unknown having not played college ball as far as I can tell.

No he didn't. He dropped out of HS during his junior year and played ball in Israel (where he got kicked off his team) and Japan. Kind of a head case as much as I can remember.

No he didn't. He dropped out of HS during his junior year and played ball in Israel (where he got kicked off his team) and Japan. Kind of a head case as much as I can remember.

A kid with amazing ability with zero maturity. Everyone who has played with the kid has been miserable, especially in Israel. There was a good article about him in the past year detailing this. I will try to find it and copy the link.

A kid with amazing ability with zero maturity. Everyone who has played with the kid has been miserable, especially in Israel. There was a good article about him in the past year detailing this. I will try to find it and copy the link.

NY Times Tyler article

This might be the one. I remember reading it back in 2009 after he went to Israel. It was actually pretty big news when he announced he was skipping his senior year, as there was a concern that more high school kids would be taking this route.

These are the big men ... the Americna big men .. who got drafted (obviously ahead of WR): Derrick Williams, Tristan Thompson, the Morris twins, Harris from Tennessee. Faried, and JaJuan Johnson, all in the first round. I don't consider Derrick Williams a PF but he was listed as such so he's listed here but I see him more a small forward, not a WR-comparable player at this point.

In the second round, you get Justin Harper from Richmond, Trey Thompkins, Jeremy Tyler, Jon Leuer, LaVoy Allen, and Vernon Macklin. in this group, i consider Harper to be a small forward as well, one not in WR's fair comparison range. And Tyler is an unknown having not played college ball as far as I can tell. That's it ... 13 American power forwards snatched up in the draft. And someone thinks WR is one of those? Now there's a longshot in this Derby if I've ever seen one.

Who didn't get drafted but had to have more NBA moxie than WR? Just in the A10 I offer Mr. Dayton Flyer himself, Chris Wright. How about A10 POY one-year-removed Kevin Anderson. Damien Saunders. Even X's Jamel McLean. At least Mclean had a reputable body of evidence to back up his work. Malcolm Delaney didn't get drafted out of Va Tech and the ACC. LaceDarius Dunn wasn't selected out of Baylor. Julian Vaughn and Austin Freeman from G-town went untouched. I saw Rick Jackson and Syracuse play and WR ain't no Rick Jackson. Dallas Lauderdale from Ohio State was freakin' hughe in person .... he ain't no WR.

No .... I think those of us that are close to a program or a player think "he's got it" when he really doesn't. And we amplify the SLU-ness of our being but we ain't close. Willie Reed's only chance was to make it at SLu through at least three decent years. He didn't have the stamina for one semester in the classroom. I am not suggesting he will have the stamina to do what it takes to make it to the League ... not from his current level.

Great, great post.