Whitesell to Join Staff

NH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard this Blog and Nate. Have you guys been in contact with Whitesell? Curious if he will make himself available to you. Does RM or the other coaches make themselves available to you guys?

Thanks.

I don't see why Nate would be in contact with Whitesell honestly.

I don't see why Nate would be in contact with Whitesell honestly.

Well. Don't most local newspaper writers who cover high school recruiting usually try to talk with the local coaches? You did know that Nate is covering recruiting for the Post right?

Well. Don't most local newspaper writers who cover high school recruiting usually try to talk with the local coaches? You did know that Nate is covering recruiting for the Post right?

If you show me the last post-dispatch writer who covers high school sports (or any newspaper's high school sports reporter) that talked with a newly hired assistant at an area college that'd be cool. I'm just saying what Nate covers is incredibly removed from him ever interviewing Whitesell.

If you show me the last post-dispatch writer who covers high school sports (or any newspaper's high school sports reporter) that talked with a newly hired assistant at an area college that'd be cool. I'm just saying what Nate covers is incredibly removed from him ever interviewing Whitesell.

No offense but you're too young to remember that recruiting news was nearly exclusive to newspapers. Again, though I directed the question to Nate and Heard This. If you could answer, then fine. Otherwise, maybe just let Nate answer on his own next time. Speaking of answering, why are you refusing to answer those directed to you. If you really now think RM is doing a good job recruiting then why the personal attacks on him? Why did Jensen go to Germany to recruit Bruenig and not the heavy lifting PM? Do lazy recruiters usually go to such lengths? How about New Zealand and Australia? Why didn't PM sign any top locals during his time here? Why didn't PM get anyone good in the Spring during his time here? Did PM get us Justin Jordan? That was sure a good addition. Let's see he was a bad student, a participant in the Train, discipline problem and now we may lose a scholarship because of him. Sometimes it's better to not get a recruit.

No offense but you're too young to remember that recruiting news was nearly exclusive to newspapers. Again, though I directed the question to Nate and Heard This. If you could answer, then fine. Otherwise, maybe just let Nate answer on his own next time. Speaking of answering, why are you refusing to answer those directed to you. If you really now think RM is doing a good job recruiting then why the personal attacks on him? Why did Jensen go to Germany to recruit Bruenig and not the heavy lifting PM? Do lazy recruiters usually go to such lengths? How about New Zealand and Australia? Why didn't PM sign any top locals during his time here? Why didn't PM get anyone good in the Spring during his time here? Did PM get us Justin Jordan? That was sure a good addition. Let's see he was a bad student, a participant in the Train, discipline problem and now we may lose a scholarship because of him. Sometimes it's better to not get a recruit.

Exam week. A little busy I haven't seen every thread. I read the post every day so I know their high school sports section isn't likely to interview Whitesell.

"If you really now think RM is doing a good job recruiting then why the personal attacks on him?"

- I think he has been a relatively lazy recruiter. That doesn't mean we haven't gotten results.

"Why did Jensen go to Germany to recruit Bruenig and not the heavy lifting PM? Do lazy recruiters usually go to such lengths? How about New Zealand and Australia?"

- Haha I didn't say Jensen didn't recruit or anything like that. So I don't think I need to answer these silly questions.

"Why didn't PM sign any top locals during his time here? "

-What top locals were there to sign? RM was in charge of the recruiting and he decided not to go after locals. Instead he sent PM to Chicago where we cleaned up with DE and MM. Porter apparently had a great shot with top 50 player in the nation Nolan Berry, one of the few locals we recruited.

"Why didn't PM get anyone good in the Spring during his time here? Did PM get us Justin Jordan?"

- I don't think you understand how recruiting works. There was a good article in SI that could clear some of your misconceptions up. PM doesn't just go pick guys for us to go recruit and then offer them. That is RM's job. Porter, and hopefully the other assistants as well, forged relationships with those players. I agree about JJ and my original point, which you must not have picked up on very well, was that rarely do spring recruits pan out. Which is why it was a shame that our recruiting this year was somewhat dependent on spring recruits.

I get why people would poke a little fun at NH for the ACT/SAT comments, etc., but I don't understand the other venom directed at him. People point to his youth and use it as a reason why he doesn't get "it". I think he could just as easily point right back and say that some folks don't get "it" because of their older age. For better or worse, things today aren't like they were back in the good ole days.

I think NH brings up a lot of fair points to discuss. I don't necessarily agree with NH's opinions all the time, but what fun would it be if i did? He appears to have a fair amount of knowledge about the local scene and initiates good discussion.

I get why people would poke a little fun at NH for the ACT/SAT comments, etc., but I don't understand the other venom directed at him. People point to his youth and use it as a reason why he doesn't get "it". I think he could just as easily point right back and say that some folks don't get "it" because of their older age. For better or worse, things today aren't like they were back in the good ole days.

I think NH brings up a lot of fair points to discuss. I don't necessarily agree with NH's opinions all the time, but what fun would it be if i did? He appears to have a fair amount of knowledge about the local scene and initiates good discussion.

Yes. You're right. He does have a fair amount of knowledge and does initiate some good discussion. My issue with him is that he jumps to conclusions without facts and inside information, turns his personal "gut" feelings based upon his reading and knowledge into facts and then uses these "facts" to take repeated personal shots at our head coach and program.

Yes. You're right. He does have a fair amount of knowledge and does initiate some good discussion. My issue with him is that he jumps to conclusions without facts and inside information, turns his personal "gut" feelings based upon his reading and knowledge into facts and then uses these "facts" to take repeated personal shots at our head coach and program.

+1 Stating the RM was a "lazy" recruiter seemed to be based largely on the opinion of one unnamed high school coach. Who was the high school coach and why should we automatically accept that opinion as fact? Is it some high school coach who believes that because RM doesn't go out to watch some marginal local prospect play? Is this a h.s. who has any clue about what it takes to be a good D1 player? Is this a h.s. coach who is primarily a Biology or Algebra teacher who coaches basketball on the side? Based on a long track record of success at the D1 college level, I am going to conclude that RM knows what he is doing and gives the proper ammount of effort to recruiting. The opinion of one random h.s. coach is not going to change that.

+1 Stating the RM was a "lazy" recruiter seemed to be based largely on the opinion of one unnamed high school coach. Who was the high school coach and why should we automatically accept that opinion as fact? Is it some high school coach who believes that because RM doesn't go out to watch some marginal local prospect play? Is this a h.s. who has any clue about what it takes to be a good D1 player? Is this a h.s. coach who is primarily a Biology or Algebra teacher who coaches basketball on the side? Based on a long track record of success at the D1 college level, I am going to conclude that RM knows what he is doing and gives the proper ammount of effort to recruiting. The opinion of one random h.s. coach is not going to change that.

No one ever mentioned a H.S. coach but I appreciate your concern. RM hasn't been successful in ten years and he's gotten older. It's not ridiculous to think his effort could have possibly decreased.

No one ever mentioned a H.S. coach but I appreciate your concern. RM hasn't been successful in ten years and he's gotten older. It's not ridiculous to think his effort could have possibly decreased.

Thanks. So you have even less to base your opinion on than I originally thought.

Probably because often times in the past it seems like when someone questions him, or even unfairly tries to belittle him based on his age, opinion, etc., he tries to defend himself a little too hard (ex. ACT comment, being told he would make a good NBA scout by someone, etc.) and it comes off poorly. NH brings good discussion to the board, but he takes it (the board), as well as himself, a little too seriously. The lofty/grating attitude he brings to his posts often times turn people off, and it turns into more tough-guy flaming from both sides. A lot of times it comes simply from trying to defend himself or his opinions; I can't blame him for wanting to do that. My $0.02.

Probably because often times in the past it seems like when someone questions him, or even unfairly tries to belittle him based on his age, opinion, etc., he tries to defend himself a little too hard (ex. ACT comment, being told he would make a good NBA scout by someone, etc.) and it comes off poorly. NH brings good discussion to the board, but he takes it (the board), as well as himself, a little too seriously. The lofty/grating attitude he brings to his posts often times turn people off, and it turns into more tough-guy flaming from both sides. A lot of times it comes simply from trying to defend himself or his opinions; I can't blame him for wanting to do that. My $0.02.

Fair points from both you and Clock.

NH. So now what is it you are saying? Is he a good recruiter for us or not?

Here what you said last week (May 18th in the Majerus Haters thread):

"Who are you talking to? If it's me, I don't hate Majerus at all. I like Majerus and I'm glad he is our coach. I don't look certain things, but I don't think it's an all or nothing proposal. I am just as excited as anyone when we win and hope Majerus has incredible success with us. I think he has proven to be a good in-game coach and we have certainly enjoyed recruiting success."

Are you now trying to split hairs and say that RM has been lazy from the start at SLU, and in spite of being lazy, has enjoyed recruiting success at SLU? If so, I hope he remains just as lazy so that he keeps bringing in the talent.

Or are we back to RM is lazy and that most all of the recruiting success has been the result of Porter, the heavy lifter? If so, the biggest recruiting successes after that first year have got to be CE and RL and credit would not appear to go to him. Again, RM hired PM and PM is selling RM's team so I'd be careful giving too much credit to assistant coaches.

Whitesell got some nice pub in an NYT article.

http://www.nytimes.c...0cncsports.html

The more I read about him the more he sounds like UB. No reflection on their character as they both seem decent and honoable men. But I'm not so sure that decent and honorable are highly rated factors when it comes to being a successful D1 coach, which I think is the sub text of the article. Whitesell should have 2 years to show his mettle in the recruiting game. How he does there will determne whether he replaces RM. If I was him I'd be knocking on Noah Berry's door at the first available opportunity. Landing him could land him SLU's job.

The more I read about him the more he sounds like UB. No reflection on their character as they both seem decent and honoable men. But I'm not so sure that decent and honorable are highly rated factors when it comes to being a successful D1 coach, which I think is the sub text of the article. Whitesell should have 2 years to show his mettle in the recruiting game. How he does there will determne whether he replaces RM. If I was him I'd be knocking on Noah Berry's door at the first available opportunity. Landing him could land him SLU's job.

Let's not lay the red carpet out for Whitesell just yet. He was barely .500 at Loyola, which doesn't merit him in the line of succession conversation AT ALL. AT ALL. Just because Majerus is a sausage bender away from checking out of his hotel on a permanent basis doesn't mean the job will automatically go to Whitesell. Not sure anyone on this board is ready to make him the heir. When RM's tenure ends, we need a national search for his replacement, with preferably a young, black coach to take his spot.

Somebody needs to take the training session on anti-discrimination law, because I see two protected classes that were just discriminated against.

I was actually promoting that SLU incorporate the Rooney Rule and interview a minority candidate. You played the card, I didn't.

I would like to see a young black coach at SLU in the Shaka Smart mold. Someone that will slam his blazer on the ground a fire up the AARP section of Chaifetz Arena. I am all for it.

BUT, i should also say that SLU should go after the best coach we can get for a high mid major job who, if he's deemed worthy, will be rewarded with a high 6 figure contract.

But we need a youth movement at SLU on the coaching staff when RM leaves.

I was actually promoting that SLU incorporate the Rooney Rule and interview a minority candidate. You played the card, I didn't.

Not going to play your game. You want me banned and are trying to lay out the land mines. Not going to stoop to your level.

Then why didn't you just say, the best coach we can get for a high mid major job who, if he's deemed worthy, will be rewarded with a high 6 figure contract?

Then why didn't you just say, the best coach we can get for a high mid major job who, if he's deemed worthy, will be rewarded with a high 6 figure contract?

Why do we want to take a step down and hire an unproven coach for less money? If you haven't noticed these A-10 conference foes mostly have coaches with a lot of seniority and we have not been dominating anyone.

Whitesell must be here to push paper and make sure the contracts are signed.

Why do we want to take a step down and hire an unproven coach for less money? If you haven't noticed these A-10 conference foes mostly have coaches with a lot of seniority and we have not been dominating anyone.

Whitesell must be here to push paper and make sure the contracts are signed.

I didn't say anything about unproven. Whitesell's only proven he could go .500 in the horizon. Trust me, right now he's done nothing to prove he can take us to a higher level. I don't even know why he was hired, since I hope we're not taking Loyola's rejects to guide this program. I guess my ideal coaching candidates in order of priority to succeed RM would be as follows:

1.) A guy who's dominated a mid major conference for about 3-4 years and been to the dance. Like the guy at Winthrop, his name escapes me, who went to Wichita. Hopefully, this guy was in a mid western conference. So that would rule out a Whitesell type who didn't dominate the Horizon. The ideal here would be Stevens, but he ain't leaving Butler for SLU.

2.) An AC from an A-10 winning program. Whoever X's AC is in waiting for the HC to depart to greener pastures would be great. If for nothing else than to disrupt the coaching heritage X has going.

3.) An AC from a BCS'er who was the primary recruiter. One has to be careful here, since my dog could be Coach K's or Calipari's AC and sign big time kids to Duke and KY, but might fall flat on his face at SLU. I think we saw a little of this with Zo. He could get kids to sign on at UCLA, but not at SLU. We don't need a Quinn Snyder type.

4.) A once successful BCS coach who left for what he thought was his final stop but it didn't work out and he didn't cheat. A guy like Crean comes to mind. IU hasn't let him go yet, but if he doesn't do something quick he could be out on the street in the near future. A Paul Hewiitt type for example.

Whoa, I wish I had the time to bring up the arrival of Porter/Biancardi posts and how we trashed them.

Whitsell's job description is the following:

1) Maintain the recruiting pipeline from the Chicago/Milwaukee area. Get us those under the radar gems like Evans and McCall.

2) Handle the PR for the program like the post game shows and for some of the radio shows.

3) Fill in as game coach when Rick is unable.

Lets see how does with those first.

If we were smart we would try and get Jerrance Howard to become the next head basketball coach...

Peoria Central product currently on BWeb's staff at UIUC. Would be an excellent choice. Has made stops in Lexington and College Station along the way...