Whitesell to Join Staff

NH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do not win 20 games this coming season, RM fully deserves to be fired. Soderberg was fired after a 20 win season. That 06-07 season was a complete failure and this season will be a failure to me if we don't win 23 or 24 games.

If we do not win 20 games this coming season, RM fully deserves to be fired. Soderberg was fired after a 20 win season. That 06-07 season was a complete failure and this season will be a failure to me if we don't win 23 or 24 games.

That ain't happening. Read Billikan's post above. Look, the essence of any sport is the talent of the players and how it's used, abused or misused by the coaches. Yes, some talent challenged teams can succeed due to coaching, and that's where a guy like RM earns his keep. However, for us to make the leap to the X or Zaga level, who should be our standard, we still need more talent. More than even we currently have. This spring's recruiting period show's right where we are in the grand scheme of things. Two priority recruits were lost to BCS schools. But neither of these recruits can be considered a big time get for UT or UW. UW had a need for a big and luckily filled it when Bruenig came available. I'll be anxious to see how he fares out there as Zo likes athletic players and am not sure Bruenig is that athletic. Chievous filled a roster spot for Cuonzo. With Pearl there he may never have got a look see at UT. But the point is both kids saw no status in signing with SLU, where they both probably would have got serious minutes their first year here. These would have been good talents for SLU to land, but we've had a history of missing these types and even RM hasn't changed that. He won't change it until we start WINNING. Winning cures all ills.

That ain't happening. Read Billikan's post above. Look, the essence of any sport is the talent of the players and how it's used, abused or misused by the coaches. Yes, some talent challenged teams can succeed due to coaching, and that's where a guy like RM earns his keep. However, for us to make the leap to the X or Zaga level, who should be our standard, we still need more talent. More than even we currently have. This spring's recruiting period show's right where we are in the grand scheme of things. Two priority recruits were lost to BCS schools. But neither of these recruits can be considered a big time get for UT or UW. UW had a need for a big and luckily filled it when Bruenig came available. I'll be anxious to see how he fares out there as Zo likes athletic players and am not sure Bruenig is that athletic. Chievous filled a roster spot for Cuonzo. With Pearl there he may never have got a look see at UT. But the point is both kids saw no status in signing with SLU, where they both probably would have got serious minutes their first year here. These would have been good talents for SLU to land, but we've had a history of missing these types and even RM hasn't changed that. He won't change it until we start WINNING. Winning cures all ills.

+1

What did I miss that has caused such high expectations for SLU? Yes, we have RM but this is still SLU. We won 11 real games last year!! This will be the first year (except for RM's first year) that we don't rely upon Freshmen to win games for us!! Name me any mid-major that truly has been successful playing Freshman against BCS schools and their upperclassmen. Give me a break!! 2 years ago, we won 23 games with nearly all Frosh and Sophs and CE (Frosh) here only half the season. Last year would have been even better but for the Situation. This year, even w/o WR, I am predicting 20 to 26 wins depending upon how KM comes back, how good JB and Manning will be, how much improvement these guys have made in the offseason... 20 wins or you're fired is simply juvenille.

Curious. Would you nut jobs rather have Frank Haith as our coach? Not me. And yet that's the best that Mizzou could get (and they've been a much better program than us over the years, have had much more success/Tourneys than us and are in the BCS!!). And still, they could only get Frank Haith!! Some on this Board to get a reality check.

+1

What did I miss that has caused such high expectations for SLU? Yes, we have RM but this is still SLU. We won 11 real games last year!! This will be the first year (except for RM's first year) that we don't rely upon Freshmen to win games for us!! Name me any mid-major that truly has been successful playing Freshman against BCS schools and their upperclassmen. Give me a break!! 2 years ago, we won 23 games with nearly all Frosh and Sophs and CE (Frosh) here only half the season. Last year would have been even better but for the Situation. This year, even w/o WR, I am predicting 20 to 26 wins depending upon how KM comes back, how good JB and Manning will be, how much improvement these guys have made in the offseason... 20 wins or you're fired is simply juvenille.

Curious. Would you nut jobs rather have Frank Haith as our coach? Not me. And yet that's the best that Mizzou could get (and they've been a much better program than us over the years, have had much more success/Tourneys than us and are in the BCS!!). And still, they could only get Frank Haith!! Some on this Board to get a reality check.

I just mentioned that I don't see RM being here after next season if we don't make the tournament.

I love the guy. I hope he is here for years to come.

+1

2 years ago, we won 23 games with nearly all Frosh and Sophs and CE (Frosh) here only half the season. Last year would have been even better but for the Situation.

This sentence really shows what RM can do. All it takes is a few things to fall right for us. CE getting his shot back, CR committing to the weight room and just emphasizing defense, Loe putting on some weight and shooting 35% from 3, JB being the first billiken not to forget how to shoot when playing for RM's Billikens (40% from three).

This might the first off-season where this board has not even discussed our roster. While we are busy arguing about ACT scores, pay stubs, and who actually watches area JV basketball games, our roster is sporting a returning backcourt of KM, MM, and JB. Is that the best backcourt since Perry? Hughes?

I hate the off-season.

Didn't say I think he would be fired, but he deserves to be. I love Majerus and hope he is here a long time too, but the Majerus era has just been full of excuses and mediocre basketball so far. It's time to put up or shut up. If we do make the NCAAs this season, we will have done it with only 2 seniors, and neither of them are star players, and we can expect the team to be better in 12-13. That is the level we want the program to be at, I think.

Anyone defending Biondi's commitment to this program is flat-out wrong.

I think Majerus will make this discussion irrelevant very soon (probably around March of 2012, actually). This has the potential to be a good team. Last year's record was an embarrassment for everyone involved. That will never happen again under Majerus' watch. The talent is there, now it's time to get some mileage out of it.