Martin Bruenig

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan Clayton, his asst. coach, texted me saying that he is still compiling a list but should know more later today.

Not a good sign if you ask me. Sure, we might have been in his top 3 a couple of months ago, but some BCS schools still have openings and/or had some transfers/lost players. The playing field is different right now than even a couple of months ago. Heck, a writer for CBS sports has tweeted that 35 schools have inquired about Breunig.

So is the May 19th a hard date?

He has to choose a school by this Thursday in order to play for the 2011-2012 season?

I dont think so. Roy posted something about enrolling without signing a LOI earlier in this thread. I think he mentioned Drejaj did that.

Not a good sign if you ask me. Sure, we might have been in his top 3 a couple of months ago, but some BCS schools still have openings and/or had some transfers/lost players. The playing field is different right now than even a couple of months ago. Heck, a writer for CBS sports has tweeted that 35 schools have inquired about Breunig.

I agree. At this point I wouldnt even consider him a possibility just so I dont get my hopes up. Some big schools are going to be very interested in him

So is the May 19th a hard date?

He has to choose a school by this Thursday in order to play for the 2011-2012 season?

it is a significant date for the schools. that is the date to sign an loi which of course binds the student athlete to the school. however by no means is it a significant date for the student athlete beyond a guarantee of sorts that he/she has a college scholarship. a player can enroll and still get the scholarship any time thereafter assuming the school has an open scholarship. for the top players available this is not a problem. it is the marginal players that will get lost.

Has SLU even contacted him since he got his release? How can we be in his top two or three before he gave MD his LOI and now we dropped off the face of the earth-something's not quite right.

While it doesn't sound like SLU will land him now, I don't think you can assume that RM and staff didn't contact him upon his release. At this point, you have a bunch of hungry buzzards going after whatever is left to fill their last remaining scholarships. When it was announced that Bruenig was released, I am sure he was bombarded by just about every BCS school with an opening. As has been stated, the only place he is going to visit this week is Washington. I wouldn't think it would be odd or even telling that he doesn't visit SLU prior to making a decision as he already visited the campus prior to committing to Maryland.

Has SLU even contacted him since he got his release? How can we be in his top two or three before he gave MD his LOI and now we dropped off the face of the earth-something's not quite right.

Yes, they have. His coach said, "They definitely have interest and we have talked with them". Said they may plan something for the future, but it's just all up in the air right now.

How can we be in his top two or three before he gave MD his LOI and now we dropped off the face of the earth-something's not quite right.

I'll give you a few reasons: Washington, Texas, Florida, Cal, USC and probably a handful of other higher tier BCS schools.

Then why were they not interested before he gave MD his LOI. Like I said if we were one of his top choices that should not affect his interest now.

Because since that time these schools have likely had transfers, kids dropping out, kids going to the draft, verbal recruits signing an LOI elsewhere, injuries, etc. For whatever reason they didn't have as high a need for Breunig. Additionally, Breunig has climbed up the rankings chart, going from relative unknown to a top 150 ranking in at least one ranking list.

Add together, stir, and you have a 6'9" kid with perceived talent that could fill a need for a lot of bigger schools.

Because since that time these schools have likely had transfers, kids dropping out, kids going to the draft, verbal recruits signing an LOI elsewhere, injuries, etc. For whatever reason they didn't have as high a need for Breunig. Additionally, Breunig has climbed up the rankings chart, going from relative unknown to a top 150 ranking in at least one ranking list.

Add together, stir, and you have a 6'9" kid with perceived talent that could fill a need for a lot of bigger schools.

Exactly.

For instance, if a kid like John Manning had de-committed, I would almost certainly bet that the top BCS schools would now be wanting to fill their rosters with him - a 7' center with good hands. Last Fall, not so. If that were to happen, and if RM were to keep him, then some on this Board would finally appreciate more what we already have.

Exactly.

For instance, if a kid like John Manning had de-committed, I would almost certainly bet that the top BCS schools would now be wanting to fill their rosters with him - a 7' center with good hands. Last Fall, not so. If that were to happen, and if RM were to keep him, then some on this Board would finally appreciate more what we already have.

I like Manning more than most, but I believe the comparison you just made doesn't work. BCS level teams were recruiting Breunig before he committed to Maryland and it showed by where he committed. Manning had plenty of exposure to BCS schools and we were the "best" school to offer. There is no evidence to suggest that if he was to de-commit he would receive new interest from BCS schools.

I like Manning more than most, but I believe the comparison you just made doesn't work. BCS level teams were recruiting Breunig before he committed to Maryland and it showed by where he committed. Manning had plenty of exposure to BCS schools and we were the "best" school to offer. There is no evidence to suggest that if he was to de-commit he would receive new interest from BCS schools.

You're absolutely correct. There is not one verbal or written LOI I can show you or anyone. At the same time, I believe recruiting is nothing more than a case of supply and demand. The elite players are in high demand at all times while the marginal players are in less demand in the Fall, but if they wait, then they become in high demand in the Spring. By waiting until the Spring, recruits run the risk of not getting their favorite school as well as the risk of injury or a mediocre Senior year, both of which are possibly but probably not that likely, which could work against a recruit waiting until the Spring. If the goal is play for any BCS team, then the recuit has little to lose. Still, I believe most D1 kids want the incessant recruiting, speculation and uncertainty to end by signing a written letter of intent in the Fall and most choose not to wait for possible/better offer in the Spring. For all the others who are willing to take the above risk or who might be late qualifiers, late bloomers or those who just not receive the offers they expected, they seem to get the offers when Spring time rolls around. Maybe it's because head coaches (and not just RM) wait until the Spring to clear the deadwood from their bench/program or maybe because of the number of coaching changes leading to de-commitments... but whatever the reason, marginal to good recruits seem to become in high demand in the Spring and all of a sudden become recruited by better schools than one would think. BCS schools which showed no interest in the Fall all of a sudden start beating the doors down. Chievous seems to be a good example. Brad Soderberg experienced this with a number of kids such as Lance Stemler. Had SLU alone been able to sign kids before the Spring period, Brad would have done quite well recruiting. Instead, the demand for these kids increased so much that they had no problem going elsewhere. In the month of February when Josh Harrelson was bouncing ball at Southwest IL Community College, or whatever they call it, I'd suggest that even he never thought Kentucky and UCLA would be calling. Based upon interest prior to the Spring, who would have thought Stemler, Cheivous, Harrelson, etc. were BCS recruits - and not just low level BCS recruits as Indiana, Kentucky UCLA and Tenn are pretty good schools. I'd suggest nobody.

My point: if a guy like Manning "only" had SLU, Richmond, VA Tech, G. Mason and William & Mary after him in the Fall, how can you say that JM would not be having top tier BCS schools after him now in the Spring? Pure speculation but I'd suggest that the JM would be in very high demand right now.

Another point: Harrelson had a very good Senior year with a Final Four, but I'd suggest most of these Spring recruits don't fare nearly so well. Most, I'd suggest, become role players at the BCS schools where they could have been go-to guys at mid-majors. Others, like Stemler got alot of minutes at a name school like Indiana but which had dropped off significantly.

All of a sudden, Spring recruiting changes things.

You're absolutely correct. There is not one verbal or written LOI I can show you or anyone. At the same time, I believe recruiting is nothing more than a case of supply and demand. The elite players are in high demand at all times while the marginal players are in less demand in the Fall, but if they wait, then they become in high demand in the Spring. By waiting until the Spring, recruits run the risk of not getting their favorite school as well as the risk of injury or a mediocre Senior year, both of which are possibly but probably not that likely, which could work against a recruit waiting until the Spring. If the goal is play for any BCS team, then the recuit has little to lose. Still, I believe most D1 kids want the incessant recruiting, speculation and uncertainty to end by signing a written letter of intent in the Fall and most choose not to wait for possible/better offer in the Spring. For all the others who are willing to take the above risk or who might be late qualifiers, late bloomers or those who just not receive the offers they expected, they seem to get the offers when Spring time rolls around. Maybe it's because head coaches (and not just RM) wait until the Spring to clear the deadwood from their bench/program or maybe because of the number of coaching changes leading to de-commitments... but whatever the reason, marginal to good recruits seem to become in high demand in the Spring and all of a sudden become recruited by better schools than one would think. BCS schools which showed no interest in the Fall all of a sudden start beating the doors down. Chievous seems to be a good example. Brad Soderberg experienced this with a number of kids such as Lance Stemler. Had SLU alone been able to sign kids before the Spring period, Brad would have done quite well recruiting. Instead, the demand for these kids increased so much that they had no problem going elsewhere. In the month of February when Josh Harrelson was bouncing ball at Southwest IL Community College, or whatever they call it, I'd suggest that even he never thought Kentucky and UCLA would be calling. Based upon interest prior to the Spring, who would have thought Stemler, Cheivous, Harrelson, etc. were BCS recruits - and not just low level BCS recruits as Indiana, Kentucky UCLA and Tenn are pretty good schools. I'd suggest nobody.

My point: if a guy like Manning "only" had SLU, Richmond, VA Tech, G. Mason and William & Mary after him in the Fall, how can you say that JM would not be having top tier BCS schools after him now in the Spring? Pure speculation but I'd suggest that the JM would be in very high demand right now.

Another point: Harrelson had a very good Senior year with a Final Four, but I'd suggest most of these Spring recruits don't fare nearly so well. Most, I'd suggest, become role players at the BCS schools where they could have been go-to guys at mid-majors. Others, like Stemler got alot of minutes at a name school like Indiana but which had dropped off significantly.

All of a sudden, Spring recruiting changes things.

This is a very good analysis, Clock.