The Fab Five

First off, what he said still matters, and I have not heard him apologize, just use the excuse that he was 18 at the time. A poster here said he really apologized, but I have not seen it, I think all Rose has really done was hide behind his age at the time.

Secondly, yes, Michigan is highly rated academically, but has jock courses to hide the dumb football types. Exercize Science or whatever. Duke and others (SLU!) do not have blatant jock majors to hide kids. Why doesn't Jalen Rose hate Princeton? Harvard? Yale? Cornell?

I could probably write a novel-sized list of things I thought and felt when I was 18 that I no longer feel to be true.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, what he said still matters, and I have not heard him apologize, just use the excuse that he was 18 at the time. A poster here said he really apologized, but I have not seen it, I think all Rose has really done was hide behind his age at the time.

Secondly, yes, Michigan is highly rated academically, but has jock courses to hide the dumb football types. Exercize Science or whatever. Duke and others (SLU!) do not have blatant jock majors to hide kids. Why doesn't Jalen Rose hate Princeton? Harvard? Yale? Cornell?

Because nobody cares to ask him what he thought of kids going to those schools. Geezus, he was a 17yr old coming out of inner city Detroit. I'm glad Jalen was honest in his thoughts as a 17yr old for the documentary. Settle down. Everyone in this country is to 'PC' now. I would definitely have an issue if he said that as an adult & analyst for ESPN.

Because nobody cares to ask him what he thought of kids going to those schools. Geezus, he was a 17yr old coming out of inner city Detroit. I'm glad Jalen was honest in his thoughts as a 17yr old for the documentary. Settle down. Everyone in this country is to 'PC' now. I would definitely have an issue if he said that as an adult & analyst for ESPN.

+1

So you feel it's appropriate to box someone into the beliefs they held at 18...nice...He admitted that his feelings were irrational and immature, and that they stemmed from his jealousy of Grant...If he were to stand by those statements today, then I would have a problem...

I would venture to guess that Duke has certain classes that are easier than others, and that some athletes take these easier courses...What's sad is that if the Fab Five earned a degree from Michigan, they have earned a diploma from a Top 30 school no matter what course load they took...

The reason Jalen didn't hate Harvard, Yale, or Cornell is the fact that they suck at basketball...

I would venture to guess that Duke has certain classes that are easier than others...

Trajan Langdon (double math & history major) would disagree with that statement. Duke, Stanford, the Ivies, Vandy, etc. don't let players slouch through four years like Andy Katzenmoyer and his underwater golf class at THE ohio state penitentiary/university.

Trajan Langdon (double math & history major) would disagree with that statement. Duke, Stanford, the Ivies, Vandy, etc. don't let players slouch through four years like Andy Katzenmoyer and his underwater golf class at THE ohio state penitentiary/university.

I highly doubt that the likes of William Avery, Corey Maggette, and Dahntay Jones were taking standard Duke-level course loads...granted, marginally harder than the majors that public schools offer, but nonetheless, definitely not a 'double math and history major'...

So you feel it's appropriate to box someone into the beliefs they held at 18...nice...He admitted that his feelings were irrational and immature, and that they stemmed from his jealousy of Grant...If he were to stand by those statements today, then I would have a problem...

I would venture to guess that Duke has certain classes that are easier than others, and that some athletes take these easier courses...What's sad is that if the Fab Five earned a degree from Michigan, they have earned a diploma from a Top 30 school no matter what course load they took...

The reason Jalen didn't hate Harvard, Yale, or Cornell is the fact that they suck at basketball...

We were talking about my statement that the ESPN guy stunk it up even worse by bring up every standard lame excuse for AA's with a rambling, defensive style. AND he said Duke did not have enough AA's on their teams.

I do not think a kid should be held for life for what he said at age 18, though I definitely think an apology is in order and I have not heard it. Maybe he did, but all I have heard so far is him justify his statements by saying he was 18 at the time. No apology. Big issue. He called Grant an "Uncle Tom", a lot of other things. If it was the other way around and a white Duke kid was quoted as saying Rose was a thug, it would be on CNN etc 24/7, cover of Newsweek, but the ESPN guy can give the standard excuses and it is OK.

Rose needs to apologize directly. Has he?

We were talking about my statement that the ESPN guy stunk it up even worse by bring up every standard lame excuse for AA's with a rambling, defensive style. AND he said Duke did not have enough AA's on their teams.

I do not think a kid should be held for life for what he said at age 18, though I definitely think an apology is in order and I have not heard it. Maybe he did, but all I have heard so far is him justify his statements by saying he was 18 at the time. No apology. Big issue. He called Grant an "Uncle Tom", a lot of other things. If it was the other way around and a white Duke kid was quoted as saying Rose was a thug, it would be on CNN etc 24/7, cover of Newsweek, but the ESPN guy can give the standard excuses and it is OK.

Rose needs to apologize directly. Has he?

He called and apologized to Grant Hill before the documentary even aired. He also has made public apology via twitter, which nowadays is probably the most effective way to have the public hear it.

I highly doubt that the likes of William Avery, Corey Maggette, and Dahntay Jones were taking standard Duke-level course loads...granted, marginally harder than the majors that public schools offer, but nonetheless, definitely not a 'double math and history major'...

Think.

Michigan offers PE courses for football and basketball dummies. Duke does not (nor does SLU).

Do you understand the difference? It is huge. Huge. Misleading names, but you might as well call the majors "Gym Teacher 101".

Yes, Duke will squeeze in some kids that are below their standard ACT-SAT levels, and there are some courses that are easier. So do the IVY League schools. But not PE dumbsh*t jock courses.

I have close connections to Duke as you may have ascertained, and there are NO phone it in majors.

He called and apologized to Grant Hill before the documentary even aired. He also has made public apology via twitter, which nowadays is probably the most effective way to have the public hear it.

If he did, then GOOD. Lets move on. Though I am not sure he apologized. Did Hill acknowledge?

Again, my post focused on how the ESPN guy made it sound even worse.

Think.

Michigan offers PE courses for football and basketball dummies. Duke does not (nor does SLU).

Do you understand the difference? It is huge. Huge. Misleading names, but you might as well call the majors "Gym Teacher 101".

Yes, Duke will squeeze in some kids that are below their standard ACT-SAT levels, and there are some courses that are easier. So do the IVY League schools. But not PE dumbsh*t jock courses.

I have close connections to Duke as you may have ascertained, and there are NO phone it in majors.

The point and argument on this thread had nothing to do with majors at a school...it was about Jalen's comments in the documentary. I would expect Duke to have a less choices of studies (places to hide) for their athletes just do to size of the school.

I applaud your connections to Duke.

If he did, then GOOD. Lets move on. Though I am not sure he apologized. Did Hill acknowledge?

How many times do you have to be told that he apologized? You're the one that won't that one go.

I doubt you even heard everything Broussard said. If you did, you certainly didn't listen.

Are you sure we saw the same video? I still don't understand why you think he made it worse. I also don't understand why you think he reinforced any stereotypes. Seems to me he is discussing a very troubling subject within the AA community and not letting anyone off easily, especially those who label others 'Uncle Toms'.

Just watched the documentary. I think Rose made it pretty clear that his feelings about Grant Hill were rooted in jealousy of Hill's privileged upbringing, and when he referred to Duke's black players as Uncle Toms, he was making a reference to his mindset as a teenager.

He doesn't owe anyone an apology.

Are you sure we saw the same video? I still don't understand why you think he made it worse. I also don't understand why you think he reinforced any stereotypes. Seems to me he is discussing a very troubling subject within the AA community and not letting anyone off easily, especially those who label others 'Uncle Toms'.

++

Too's thoughts:

The foremost star of the Fab Five was Chris Weber - without his thoughts and input intoo the documentary, it was virtually useless except for putting money in ESPN's and Jalen Rose's (as producer) pockets. There was no new information presented except for the nice films of the team in Europe which was obvious filler for Webber's non participation. Exploitation of college athletes - Jalen Rose didn't know what he was getting intoo and signing up for in playing college basketball? - yeah right. Duke was making money off of selling jerseys as Michigan. This whole program could have been historical in nature trooly historical,in an hour, but it wasn't without Chris Weber.

But it turned intoo a Jalen Rose, his ego, not admitting that they (Fab Five) weren't any different than any other college basketball players (white or black) playing basketbal 5 on 5 and "I only took money for a few small things". What would have made the progaram much better was (and Triangle kept waiting for it) interviews with the sub and bench players and what they thought about the whole situation - it never materialized. The program should have been cancelled without Weber's input.

so it goes.

Watch Duke make Michigan pay today for The Fab Five documentary and Jalen Rose's sore loser thug statements.

Yes, it matters.

Michigan is playing well, their coach has them in sync, but not today.

Fab Five were a bunch of under the table highly paid big mouths, the qunitessence of the sad state of college hoops (and football) today. Student athletes, my *ss.

I think Duke beat them back then 3 of 3 including a 20 point pounding.

Look for it again today, make some money, take Duke - 11 pts, I'd say it will be about 88-64.

(and I doubt any Duke players will call time out when they have none)

Watch Duke make Michigan pay today for The Fab Five documentary and Jalen Rose's sore loser thug statements.

Yes, it matters.

Michigan is playing well, their coach has them in sync, but not today.

Fab Five were a bunch of under the table highly paid big mouths, the qunitessence of the sad state of college hoops (and football) today. Student athletes, my *ss.

I think Duke beat them back then 3 of 3 including a 20 point pounding.

Look for it again today, make some money, take Duke - 11 pts, I'd say it will be about 88-64.

(and I doubt any Duke players will call time out when they have none)

Duke will win because they are a better basketball team. Nothing to do with the Fab 5 documentary. You're a dbag.

Duke will win because they are a better basketball team. Nothing to do with the Fab 5 documentary. You're a dbag.

I agree. One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Duke should win because they are a #1 seed, not because they have hurt feelings about a documentary that was made about a Michigan team that played 20 years ago.

Yes, Duke is the better team, but a lot of people are talking about it... ironic after the documentary that they are matched up again a week later. A lot of people think Duke will run up the score as much as possible, will not let down even if up comfortably. It matters. AA's on Duke are playing a team that thinks they are Uncle Toms. (and do not call me dbag, who TF are you?)