Saturday's Game

The people in Soulard think Mardi Gras started last weekend. I drove down Gravois last Saturday at 10 a.m. heading for downtown and was shocked by the number of cars jamming every conceivable parking spot with people wearing Gras beads tumbling out of the cars, cups in hand. I've never been to Mobile but this Mardi Gras event in STL has gotten crazy. As David said, it wasn't like this before. Yeah, I remember being drunk to point of not being able to see by noon but it was just a bar hop event back then when you actually could walk inside one of the bars in Soulard. The sheer volume of people now is way, way beyond what it was 20-25 years ago in STL.

The people in Soulard think Mardi Gras started last weekend. I drove down Gravois last Saturday at 10 a.m. heading for downtown and was shocked by the number of cars jamming every conceivable parking spot with people wearing Gras beads tumbling out of the cars, cups in hand. I've never been to Mobile but this Mardi Gras event in STL has gotten crazy. As David said, it wasn't like this before. Yeah, I remember being drunk to point of not being able to see by noon but it was just a bar hop event back then when you actually could walk inside one of the bars in Soulard. The sheer volume of people now is way, way beyond what it was 20-25 years ago in STL.

Blame it on the Mizzou kids. I do.

Before Hurricane Ike, Galveston actually laid claim to the #2 spot. It's coming back, but like Mobile, it reeks of paper mills, dead fish and STDs.

I lived on the Mississippi coast for about 5 years (04-09), about 30 miles from Mobile. Had to go to Mobile a lot with my job. I always thought the Mobile downtown was pretty nice. Enjoyed the old section of town with its old Spanish style buildings and the many quaint restaurants and bars. Also the environs around the bay and delta is beautiful. Great for kayaking. B)

Yeah, Mobile has to be second to New Orleans in terms of length, organization, and pageantry. Cumulative attendance would beat STL most years, probably. If NO's Mardi Gras reflects how the common man would celebrate it, Mobile's seems to represent how southern gentility would celebrate it- exclusive society parties, masquerade balls, 'mystics' parades, and a bunch of other traditions I in no way understand or could get on board with (especially the mystic societies and Chief Slacabamorinco thing). There are still plenty of other parades and festivities open to everyone, and a lot of drinking, but it isn't like New Orleans or even STL in terms of how wild it gets.

That said, there is nothing going on in Mobile the other 358 days a year. I was there over a weekend in September 2009 and the city was about as active as Times Beach is today. Seriously, as much as people complain about downtown STL being vacant and lifeless, it's got nothing on Mobile. Glad I got to visit the only brewery in town- Hurricane Brewing- a couple times before it shut down due to lack of business.

What you described is part of the charm and culture of Mobile.

Should have spoken to me before you went.

As far as things to do, I have to say some best seafood restaurants in the country are located in and around Mobile. Just coming out the downtown harbor tunnel you get on the causeway and you come up on about dozen or so seafood restaurants. These in my opinion are some of the best seafood restaurants in the country. Fresh shrimp the size of a lobster.

Around the Bay is Bellingrath Gardens, Orange Beach, Point Clear, etc. The sights, wildlife and fauna are outstanding. I am a big on kayaking. I used to love kayaking up into the delta nature preserve (the Mobile and Tensaw River deltas). You can kayak for hours without seeing anything but nature and wildlife.

Also downtown area is not bad. It is old and historical but quaint. Spring Hill College campus (which is almost downtown) is beautiful. The drive to the college along Spring Hill Blvd from downtown with its very old antebellum mansions is really something to see. Nice time to go is now, with the azaleas/magnolias in full bloom.

You want crappy downtowns, go to Pensacola.

I had relatives who lived in Soulard for 10 years or so. They moved in 96 I believe so it got big in 95.

I went to my first one in 98. I went to it 3 years back. Have thought about it since then but the cold, rain, and the fact you can't bring your own booze unless you want to get arrested keeps me away. I'm on the wrong side of 30 now for that type of nonsense.

Seriously ..... when did all this "Mardi Gras in St. Louis" start? I was at the U from 1975 throguh 1979. Graduated and lived in North and West County until moving back East in 1988, and don't ever recall Mardi Gras in St. Louis (mind you) being anything of great note. And we partied with the best of them to include something as ridiculous as "another day that ends in the letter "Y", woooo-hoooooo, it's go time!"! And we played for bars like Friday's, Clark's, Billy Goat Hill, McGurk's, The Brewhouse and Turk's so we didn't miss much. But short of actually tripping down I-55 all the way yo Nah'lins .... Mardi Gras meant nothing.

When did that change and why wasn't I informed?

When I was there ST. Louis was noted for the Veiled Prophet. what happened to him?

What you described is part of the charm and culture of Mobile.

Should have spoken to me before you went.

As far as things to do, I have to say some best seafood restaurants in the country are located in and around Mobile. Just coming out the downtown harbor tunnel you get on the causeway and you come up on about dozen or so seafood restaurants. These in my opinion are some of the best seafood restaurants in the country. Fresh shrimp the size of a lobster.

Around the Bay is Bellingrath Gardens, Orange Beach, Point Clear, etc. The sights, wildlife and fauna are outstanding. I am a big on kayaking. I used to love kayaking up into the delta nature preserve (the Mobile and Tensaw River deltas). You can kayak for hours without seeing anything but nature and wildlife.

Also downtown area is not bad. It is old and historical but quaint. Spring Hill College campus (which is almost downtown) is beautiful. The drive to the college along Spring Hill Blvd from downtown with its very old antebellum mansions is really something to see. Nice time to go is now, with the azaleas/magnolias in full bloom.

You want crappy downtowns, go to Pensacola.

And it's Jimmy Buffet's hometown.

Looks like students get in for free if they show their student ID at the door, they also get a free blizzard tee-shirt. Im hoping for a good student turnout and a billiken victory. Might have to bust out the checkered pants for the "WhiteOut"...