Progress of Rob Loe

joe_davola

Thanks for starting the thread, Davola.

The hate Loe was getting on here for a while was discouraging and unjustified. Sure, he had a hot game early and hit a bad cold streak after that, but let's not forget he's a freshman big from a country without much basketball competition and had been getting some inconsistent minutes. He's got a steeper hill to climb than our freshman guards from the midwest, and now that he's hitting his shot again we're seeing why we signed this kid. Plus, while he's still no force inside, he's been playing a lot harder on defense, not backing down from guys way bigger than him. He'll be fine.

I know! Man, he sucks! Let's hope we recruit over him! I just hope he turns out to be as good as Husak, at least...

Because that's what I said. Reggie Miller has an ugly shooting stroke. Therefore he sucks even worse than Loe. Don't be silly.

Loe will be an all-conference performer and was a great get by our staff. That's the position I've taken all along and I stand by it.

If we can recruit over him, we should. But seeing as that is nearly impossible, I'm happy with him as our PF/C for the next four years.

while i think loe's shot has not looked good as of recent until saturday, my bigger concern with loe is still physical strength and poor defensive technique. he drives me crazy on that "cheat" on the high screen temporary jump switch when he very slowly recovers to his man. any big that busts hard to the basket with a good passer having the ball is almost a sure layup. watch loe on that instance and then watch conklin or evans.

Or gets called for a foul. Seems like that has happened a ton of times.

I have a well documented hate for the hedge strategy, especially with RL for the reasons you and Roy point out. Additionally, it further compounds our weakness on the interior D when we ask RL to hedge. He hedges, he's out of position and we don't have the interior size to make up for it.

BC isn't great at it either. DE and CR are the only 2 that should hedge on the dribbler. They are the only 2 quick enough to recover.

I have a well documented hate for the hedge strategy, especially with RL for the reasons you and Roy point out. Additionally, it further compounds our weakness on the interior D when we ask RL to hedge. He hedges, he's out of position and we don't have the interior size to make up for it.

BC isn't great at it either. DE and CR are the only 2 that should hedge on the dribbler. They are the only 2 quick enough to recover.

The hedging drives me bananas. An opposing PG with decent quickness, passing prowess, and ability to anticipate will burn the hedge everytime with a slower recovery. Layup city especially with the man-to-man stuff we play. Very little help defense to compensate for the open man in this situation.

You guys are right about the fouls, too. What a crappy way to give up a foul. With RL, he doesn't get in position in time on the hedge and gets called for the foul for being in motion.

That said, I think RL's defense has improved greatly. You will notice that he is starting to bang down low. He must be hanging out with BC on the weekends. I think making the adjustment to US ball would be tough from a physical standpoint.

In high school and college, we played against Europeans pretty regularly in soccer. Those dudes are physical as hell and remember that transition to playing against them all too well. Very difficult adjustment as I am sure RL has had a similar experience here. At least he has a skill set which would be harder to adjust to or acquire compared to playing a more physical game.

Nice to see a decent Bills team on the floor on Saturday. I was proud of our boys on Saturday - I hope they keep it up.

It was very good game and promising day for Loe and the future. I don't know if he'll evolve from the pop-up shooter that he seems to be but we shall see. I'd take the shooter and a decent rebounder on the defensive end, the kind that doesn't allow a Xaiver-like team to mug us on the offensive boards as was the case today. Plus, he needs to be able to defend the rare A10 big man that a Kenny Frease presents. The guy was unstoppable in the first half and had Dickey Simpkins calling him "Mister Frease" more times than I care to remember.

Does Jett have a shot outside of ten feet? Seems to be a decent dribble-driver but nothing outside the lane area. MM, DE and RL are keepers. Jett remains to be seen. In his defense, Jett shows great promise on the defensive end, and is a nive rebounder for a point guard.

JJ reminds me of a little bigger and stronger KM during his freshman year. I think he is more of a pure point guard than we would like to think. As he has slowed down a bit his a/to ratio has really improved. the scoring is down s bit but others have been more willing to shoot.

RL is going to be a very good player. He needs more time to develop but you see the capabilities and it is really exciting. With age and experience will come consistency.

It was very good game and promising day for Loe and the future. I don't know if he'll evolve from the pop-up shooter that he seems to be but we shall see. I'd take the shooter and a decent rebounder on the defensive end, the kind that doesn't allow a Xaiver-like team to mug us on the offensive boards as was the case today. Plus, he needs to be able to defnder the rare A10 big man that a Kenny Frease presents. The guy was unstoppable in the first half and had Dickey Simpkins calling him "Mister Frease" more times than I care to remember.

Does Jett have a shot outside of ten feet? Seems to be a decent dribble-driver but nothing outside the lane area. MM, DE and RL are keepers. Jett remains to be seen. In his defense, Je

Jett does have a shot outside ten feet, he has knocked down many shots a step or two inside the 3-point line. He reminds me a bit of Marque Perry when he was freshman in the way that he is shifty in the lane and can get to the basket. Jett is not as quick as Marque, but he has more strength which serves him well in traffic. Hopefully like Marque, Jett will also be able to develop a 3-point shot as his career develops. Jett's defense is really improved and he is the best on the team at getting steals. His recent reduction in turnovers is encouraging.

2 great notes regarding Loe at the Xavier game:

1. props to Xavier student section as they chanted "USA" while he shot free throws.

2. after he hit that deep 3 in the second half to put us up he had a little swag while running backwards on the court. i thought he was gonna bust out the dougie on the Cintas center

Also, high marks to Cintas center management for having a bloody mary stand outside of every section it seemed for the morning game.