De(S)LUsion

OC

Last year some of the deSLUsional fans on this board were comparing SLU to Butler going forward, weeks after SLU had just been dispatched twice by VCU in the Shop'n'Save tourney--while Butler had recently bested Syracuse, K-State, Michigan State and nearly Duke on a stage that was lit just slightly brighter.

I offered some objective reasoning on the matter. Some of you were kind enough to counter with some blue kool-aid.

I thought that was the peak of deSLUsion...

But now I read that Kyle Cassity is headed to the National Basketball Association. You know, the league that employs JJ Redick is a role player, sparingly employs Adam Morrison, and doesn't at all employ Blake Ahearn.

Do you think he'll even bother staying for his senior year?

Last year some of the deSLUsional fans on this board were comparing SLU to Butler going forward, weeks after SLU had just been dispatched twice by VCU in the Shop'n'Save tourney--while Butler had recently bested Syracuse, K-State, Michigan State and nearly Duke on a stage that was lit just slightly brighter.

I offered some objective reasoning on the matter. Some of you were kind enough to counter with some blue kool-aid.

But now I read that Kyle Cassity is headed to the National Basketball Association. You know, the league that employs JJ Redick is a role player, sparingly employs Adam Morrison, and doesn't at all employ Blake Ahearn.

Only if he's a lottery pick. No sense shorting yourself.:)

NEWS FLASH: OC climbs out from under his rock and STILL doesn't realize that the Billikens lost their top two players for the season.

Get back to us once you enter this fun little place we call reality.

Posted Image

I guess you didn't notice the other posters who questioned that statement. Maybe you're right maybe we should just all quit being fans stop the optimism. Way to keep us in check.

The thought of Kyle heading to the NBA was held by one person and disagreed with by the rest of the people on the board. I think most folks here are well grounded. Your effort was very weak. Try again.

Slu lost one really good player, and one tall, semi-effective player. Losses that would hurt any program, sure, but a top program could sustain that loss and perhaps beat APeay and not get throttled by MoState.

(AP went to Memphis without ACampbell or excuses...and took them to OT.)

Butler lost a guy to the NBA lottery, and played the heck out of Duke(the Kyrie Irving version).

Duke, you may recall, embarrassed SLU with perhaps the nations best PG in street clothes.

A couple of you can get snippy, and bring up tv shows that pleasure you...but it gets old coming on here wanting to have some insightful basketball conversation but instead have to listen to people compare SLU and Butler, and a Kyle to the NBA.

You guys act like I said all of you are guilty of it.

Keep your pants on...

Slu lost one really good player, and one tall and semi-effective player.

Not to say everyone thinks he's going first round in 2012, but I don't think you can call someone semi-effective while someone else has them going 1st round in the 2012 draft.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

Again, go back to your Laguna Beach episodes so you don't say something stupid again.

Slu lost one really good player, and one tall and semi-effective player. Losses that would hurt any program, sure, but a top program could sustain that loss and perhaps beat APeay and not get throttled by MoState.

Butler lost a guy to the NBA lottery, and played the heck out of Duke(the Kyrie Irving version).

Duke, you may recall, embarrassed SLU with perhaps the nations best PG in street clothes.

A couple of you can get snippy, and bring up tv shows that pleasure you...but it gets old coming on here wanting to have some insightful basketball conversation but instead have to listen to people compare SLU and Butler, and a Kyle to the NBA.

Keep your pants on...

While I disagree with your statement about Willie just being a tall semi-effective player (as supported our interior defense this year, he has a huge impact on the defensive end of the floor), you're generally right about some of the delusions of the posters on this board. It's hard to take posters seriously when they think Kyle has a potential NBA future.

You are talking about BillikenRoy who said that. Deal with that one person directly. Sorry, not a lot of "blue kool-aid" flowing on the Kyle to the NBA thing.

I meant that as a compliment to Ahearn, who is far superior to Kyle as a guard...and on another stratosphere as a shooter.

I question nbadraft.com, but I acknowledge he is or will be scouted by Marty Blake's NBA posse.

You may want to acknowledge that there is only one reason he is on that list...and it isn't because of his dexterity, deft post moves, or shooting touch. The NBA game and the college game are quite different.

The guy can't stay out of trouble, friends.

He and his dad are about as good a face for our program as that petulant kid who rants/raves/cries in the student section.

Sorry if I should have just called out BRoy on his Disneyesque assessments of Cassity.

I usually find Roy to be objective, even if we don't agree (save for Daniel Lisch).

A few people took me to task on the butler vs slu thing, and fellas...it's not all that close.

BK18: Should I assume you eat your fair share of Burger King?

Slu lost one really good player, and one tall, semi-effective player. Losses that would hurt any program, sure, but a top program could sustain that loss and perhaps beat APeay and not get throttled by MoState.

Keep your pants on...

Now how can anyone have an insightful basketball conversation with you when you make comments all over the map like these? You first start off by stating that Willie Reed is just a semi-effective, tall player and that the program should have been able to easily absorb losing him right before the season started. Then you follow that up by stating that SLU should have been able to beat AP while at the same time stating that AP is good enough to take a ranked Memphis team to OT without one of their best players. Not following your logic there...seems to me like you are giving a very good reason why SLU lost to AP.

I think the conversation earlier this year about comparing SLU to Butler was that SLU could perhaps sneak up like Butler did and have a nice little tourney run. Having WR and KM all season was the key to that conversation. Also, Butler without Heyward is not that good this year. Yes, they are better than SLU, and still a potential tourney team, but they are also a team that lost to Evansville at home this year. It is disingenuous to bring the board's comparisons between SLU and Butler from earlier in the year up now after the loss of the team's two best players. Butler hasn't easily replaced Heyward; SLU isn't going to easily replace WR and KM and immediately start winning.

Kyle to the NBA was one poster's pipe dream that many on this board have disagreed with. You end your post by saying that you wonder why we act like you are stating we are all guilty of outlandish statements and exagerrations. Yet, you just got done making sweeping statements about the board and saying you can't take it seriously due to all of the statements made on it. You can't have it both ways.

OC--You need to keep your pants on, instead of dreaming of Lauren Conrad all day.

So what if some fans want to dream big, that is part of being a fan. I was one of the bigger Jeff Reid fans and thought he was going to be a force in a billiken uniform. Never worked out. No big deal.

If you are going to be critical of SLU fans for aspiring to be like Butler (small midwest school from a mid major conference with top 25 credentials) then I guess you should call up the likes of a Doug Gotley or Andy Katz since both were predicting SLU would be breaking into the top 25 this season until we lost one good gaurd and a semi-effective big man. But any good program can lose their top two players one week before the season and it would no make difference to them? Right?

Jbizzle: You say that I said they should 'easily absorb' the losses? Where'd i say that?

In fact, I acknowledged that they'd hurt (look it up). I just don't think if we are indeed akin to butler that we'd lose two guys and get blasted by MoState, etc.

I brought up APeay bc they missed Campbell but still went to Memphis and played their tails off.

I'm upset--bc I too am a fan--that we didn't play our tails off in many of our last few ballgames.

About Willie: yeah he's effective--I said as much. But is he really better than that? Two 20-pt games to his career. I think he went for 2pts and 5pts respectively against Dayton last year. NBA players go to Bowling Green and put up more than a 4-spot.

Alot of NBA bigs can shoot it, even though they may not attempt many in games. Willie is sub 50% from 15ft with no one on him!

Yes, we need him. Yes, he's especially effective on defense as someone stated.

He needs to do more to prove to me he's a pro. On and off the court.

The fact that he's more of an NBA possibility than, say, Butler's Matt Howard, doesn't mean much in the world of college basketball.

My main beef is from last year's Butler comparisons after we made our little run vs the Sycamores, Princeton, etc. I was proud of where SLU was headed..but to see some compare it to butler's historic blaze through THE tournament was a bit much for me.

Jbizzle: You say that I said they should 'easily absorb' the losses? Where'd i say that?

In fact, I acknowledged that they'd hurt (look it up). I just don't think if we are indeed akin to butler that we'd lose two guys and get blasted by MoState, etc.

I brought up APeay bc they missed Campbell but still went to Memphis and played their tails off.

I'm upset--bc I too am a fan--that we didn't play our tails off in many of our last few ballgames.

About Willie: yeah he's effective--I said as much. But is he really better than that? Two 20-pt games to his career. I think he went for 2pts and 5pts respectively against Dayton last year. NBA players go to Bowling Green and put up more than a 4-spot.

Alot of NBA bigs can shoot it, even though they may not attempt many in games. Willie is sub 50% from 15ft with no one on him!

Yes, we need him. Yes, he's especially effective on defense as someone stated.

He needs to do more to prove to me he's a pro. On and off the court.

The fact that he's more of an NBA possibility than, say, Butler's Matt Howard, doesn't mean much in the world of college basketball.

My main beef is from last year's Butler comparisons after we made our little run vs the Sycamores, Princeton, etc. I was proud of where SLU was headed..but to see some compare it to butler's historic blaze through THE tournament was a bit much for me.

actually, you said he was semi-effective.

The question ahouldn't be how good Butler is this year without Heyward, it's how good would they have been last year losing say Howard and Mack.

Gosh it's good of you to point out that some SLU fans may be overly optimistic about their team on their own teams message board. I bet it's the only message board with fans who may think a bit to highly of their team.

Semi-effective is not the opposite of effective. Semi does not mean non.

When you say someone is semi-something, it doesn't mean he's "not" that something.

That Brian Kelly girl looks like she could've been spawned by Larry Bird...which I'm man enough to admit is a turn-on.

Willie Reed may play in the NBA. He may not. Where does nbadraftexpress have him getting drafted?

Skip, you're right. Alot of message boards are littered with optimists. Im down with that.

Brother, I'm just tired of some of it.

We have 5 pages worth of posts on a thread titled something like "Kyle Cassity is a friggin' boss".

That's semi-delusional. (BK: that doesnt mean it is NOT delusional)

Go Bills. I'd love for us to be on par with Butler, I really would.

Semi-effective is not the opposite of effective. Semi does not mean non.

When you say someone is semi-something, it doesn't mean he's "not" that something.

That Brian Kelly girl looks like she could've been spawned by Larry Bird...which I'm man enough to admit is a turn-on.

Willie Reed may play in the NBA. He may not. Where does nbadraftexpress have him getting drafted?

Skip, you're right. Alot of message boards are littered with optimists. Im down with that.

Brother, I'm just tired of some of it.

We have 5 pages worth of posts on a thread titled something like "Kyle Cassity is a friggin' boss".

That's semi-delusional. (BK: that doesnt mean it is NOT delusional)

Go Bills. I'd love for us to be on par with Butler, I really would.

Does it have to either mean the opposite of effective or effective? Perhaps your meaning was somewhere in-between. Nothing wrong with back-tracking a bit, but don't act like you weren't trying to say he was something less than effective, which is wrong.

If SLU had KM and WR this year would a tourney bid be possible? How about a win or 2 in the tourney? Remember when the Butler thread was taking place the train hadn't even left the station and everyone (rightfully so, I might add) expected a healthy Cody with a full summer of work under his belt.