The Play

bk18

wow. originally i thought it was a foul, but a foul that any decent ref would NEVER call in that situation, but that's not even a foul.

The photo above shows the ref with his arm up, so the foul would have already been called. If this is the same defense that was being played a second earlier that caused the ref to call a foul, this ref needs to never call a college game again.

wow. originally i thought it was a foul, but a foul that any decent ref would NEVER call in that situation, but that's not even a foul.

This picture is deceiving. Notice the ref's arm is up with his whistle in his mouth. He has already called the foul. If we could back up the action just a few frames, you will see Christian's arm impeding the progress of the AP player along the sideline. Very touch call but Christian pressured the ball so aggressively that he put the ref in a tough position to make a call. I'm still pissed that Christian tried to go coast to coast with the steal and got blocked at the 12 second mark. Christian obviously thought he could take it hard to the hole and draw a foul ... but why do that? We had been clanking free throws all game. Best case, AP probably gets the ball back with plenty of time only down by one. Worst case, he gets blocked. Christian must account for the superior athleticism of the player he is taking it up against. No situational awareness. He's not a freshman anymore. He should have known to pull that ball out and look for a trailer. Somebody would have been open on the secondary break and got a clean look with under 10 on the clock.

This picture is deceiving. Notice the ref's arm is up with his whistle in his mouth. He has already called the foul. If we could back up the action just a few frames, you will see Christian's arm impeding the progress of the AP player along the sideline. Very touch call but Christian pressured the ball so aggressively that he put the ref in a tough position to make a call. I'm still pissed that Christian tried to go coast to coast with the steal and got blocked at the 12 second mark. Christian obviously thought he could take it hard to the hole and draw a foul ... but why do that? We had been clanking free throws all game. Best case, AP probably gets the ball back with plenty of time only down by one. Worst case, he gets blocked. Christian must account for the superior athleticism of the player he is taking it up against. No situational awareness. He's not a freshman anymore. He should have known to pull that ball out and look for a trailer. Somebody would have been open on the secondary break and got a clean look with under 10 on the clock.

I agree. CS grabbed the player with both hands which happened before this picture was taken. However, many times this foul is not usually called on the home team in this kind of situation. Also, I agree he should not have tried to take the ball all the way without at least faking the shot first. IMO.

Didn't see the game but given the situation, the ref is to swallow his whistle unless there is a blatant foul. Clearly, this was not. Disappointing for sure. However, we should have never been in that position to begin with. It's Austin Peay.

Different season, same crap.

Totally agree with you. As much as a fan as we all are, you can't blame a ref for a loss. I was as pissed as anyone, but we should have been leading this ball game, not tied. It's freaking Austin Peay.

Onto the Rockhurst game, which means a ton.

how do we ignore users?

this call defines what is wrong with today's officiating in basketball. IF the refs called all the fouls all game, then either salacich wouldnt have either been guarding as close because he would have known that would be a foul or everyone in the arena would have agreed with the call because it was the norm.

instead, they allow the hand check 35 feet from the basket the entire game and then they call it with 4 seconds left to decide the outcome. i surely hope our athletic department thinks real hard about ever hiring frank spencer again.

this call defines what is wrong with today's officiating in basketball. IF the refs called all the fouls all game, then either salacich wouldnt have either been guarding as close because he would have known that would be a foul or everyone in the arena would have agreed with the call because it was the norm.

instead, they allow the hand check 35 feet from the basket the entire game and then they call it with 4 seconds left to decide the outcome. i surely hope our athletic department thinks real hard about ever hiring frank spencer again.

You are right. If they did not call hand check fouls earlier during the game it should not have been called with four seconds to play.

-seeing the play from my seat, asking those around me "did it look like a foul to you?" and then watching the recorded game, imo it was a foul

-CS had both hands on the kid and his jersey is pulled away from his body

-it brought me back to an interview from a couple of years ago with ed hightower done by slaten on the definition of the foul of hand checking which ed said is both hands on the opposing player, clearly to me what CS did

-is it called all the time? nope, no foul is

-did it screw us? yep

-did we have 100 other plays in the game that if they went our way would have not made this play in the last 5 seconds be so important? yep, nature of sports

-we lost the game not because of that one play but in my mind b/c we did not defend worth a crap which caused them to have an Al Fisher type of game, we did not rebound good enough, we did not make ft's good enough, we did not shoot good enough, we did not handle the ball good enough or perhaps we are just not that good

-the positive, the coaches have all kinds of teachable points at this time for the players