New Blue Crew Name

slufan13

I like this line:

"SLUnatics, a mixture of the SLU and the word for describing somebody who is insane, comes to signify a change in tone for the student section at Chaifetz."

You know, for all the illiterate Carbonadlians.

And hey, we've got a Billikens.com voice being heard:

That originality is what fans hope will add to the experience of attending basketball games.

“I think the history of student apathy toward athletics is starting to turn in a big way,” Billiken fan, junior Zac Miller, said. “Many more groups of people are taking initiative and adding their personal touch to the student section.”

"Regularly-attending basketball fans hope this new name also clears up confusion in the student section between those who viewed themselves as members of the student section, but not members of Blue Crew.

Miller feels some sentimentality about the re-branding, but believes it is for the best.

“I grew up knowing the student section as Blue Crew, and it is a little weird seeing it go. But it’s time, with basketball enthusiasm at an all-time high,” Miller said.

“I think SLUnatics will help if it is made clear to the students that this is not a student club or an exclusive group in any way,” Miller said. “It needs to be obvious that this is renaming the student section and basically retiring the idea of a ‘student fan group.’”

Got a better name? I'd love to hear it.

'05

Absolutely. Re-read my posts. Blue Crew was a good name -- possibly poor structure. Billiken Brigade is another decent name.

Again, if students were timid or afraid to join the Blue Crew b/c of its name (which I don't believe to be the case), good luck getting them to join a group whose name immediately creates high expectations. No way will the students be able to live up to the name. We're just lucky to get 200 students to stroll across campus for free food and T-shirts must less truly be some wild, crazy or "lunatic" group. Try standing or taking a few baby steps before you try to run fartleks. For a Saturday night game against UD or X, less of a problem. For a Tuesday night game against a buy team, when the student area is not full, enjoy the introduction by Guy Phillips.

Again, why not form a mainstream group as well as a hardcore group? Instead, the mainstream group has the hardcore name.

I like the name. I was a member of the blue crew back in the day, but it was totally unoriginal. We needed something fresh and I think this meets the need.

I wasn't a part of the blue crew club, but everything else I'm in total agreement with.

Thoughts I shared with one of our posters:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

For nostalgia's sake, I like Blue Crew better than SLUnatics. I like SLU TANG CREW better than SLUnatics, but we all knew that wasn't going to fly.

I'm also no longer a student, nor do I live in St. Louis. I'll be lucky to see 2 Bills games in person this season and don't really care if I sit in the student section when I do, student section name be damned.

I understand the desire for the change, but I don't think it really will have any impact. Winning games brings fans. Making the CBI does not. "

I like the originality of the name, but how does changing the name change how the student body feels about the section. If there was a perceived difference between the Blue Crew and the rest of the section, how does that change now? By the way, I personally didn't notice any separation during the games I saw last year as a freshman.

I like the originality of the name, but how does changing the name change how the student body feels about the section. If there was a perceived difference between the Blue Crew and the rest of the section, how does that change now? By the way, I personally didn't notice any separation during the games I saw last year as a freshman.

It goes back to the days of being at Scottrade. IMO since we got to Chaifetz it is amazing how great the student section has been compared to then.