Thomas Keith email

GOSLU68

Happy to have this guy on staff reaching out to us, but what we all want is to see some practices; see our new players and possibly see a scrimmage or two.

I think Billiken Club membership and ticket purchases over $1000 a year should entitle us to get in to see "our" team. I know, it is RM's team but give us a break

we want to be great fans and Thomas Keith can write all the rah, rah emails he wants but it would mean a lot more to get us in to see the team

We will all get to see the team...whenever the games start. In fact, there's a few exhibition games where we get to see them early! I see no reason why we are entitled to see the team before the season starts. And no, I don't think giving money to the program constitutes as a reason.

We will all get to see the team...whenever the games start. In fact, there's a few exhibition games where we get to see them early! I see no reason why we are entitled to see the team before the season starts. And no, I don't think giving money to the program constitutes as a reason.

Agreed. Parctices starts around Oct 15 and the first real game is Nov 12. There will likely be two exhibition games prior to that so the latest anyone would get to see the team is the first week of November.

Happy to have this guy on staff reaching out to us, but what we all want is to see some practices; see our new players and possibly see a scrimmage or two.

I think Billiken Club membership and ticket purchases over $1000 a year should entitle us to get in to see "our" team. I know, it is RM's team but give us a break

we want to be great fans and Thomas Keith can write all the rah, rah emails he wants but it would mean a lot more to get us in to see the team

I think having a "Billiken Club Scrimage" would be a good idea. Pay your dues,create a little buzz,give the players a little diversion. I'm sure Rick has controlled scrimages as it is, just open one up.

I agree with the original poster. What big time program does not have some sort of event for it's donors prior to the season? I can't think of one (but i certainly am not familiar with all programs). A blue/white game, a midnight madness, a special practice...something. Big time programs do this. It creates buzz, it makes the donors special, it potentially increases donations and it's good marketing.

You know what creates donors? Winning games. Making a mockery out of possibly useful practice doesn't help with that, IMO. I like RickMa's philosophy on this issue.

i am sure the hour or so of useful practice time lost can be made up at xmas break when rickma practices for 18 hours a day.

You know what creates donors? Winning games. Making a mockery out of possibly useful practice doesn't help with that, IMO. I like RickMa's philosophy on this issue.

See Roy's response. We're talking about an hour here. An hour. The positive effect would outweigh the hour of "missed" practice. And why does it have to be a mockery? A hard fought scrimmage is not a mockery. How many college football fans do you know who just can't wait for that first intra-squad scrimmage? It's the way things are done at a high level. And a midnight madness would probably be enjoyed by the players and the students...isn't that what this is all about? Sure, winning games makes money...but so do many other things. I just don't get why people wouldn't want this or think it wouldn't be beneficial to the program.

I'm not gonna lie, I would enjoy a midnight madness, but I don't believe it's in the best interest of our program. Just because something is on ESPN doesn't mean it's the right thing to do in order to be an "elite" program. And you can't use college football as an example because they only have 5 or so home games a year, compared to our 12-15(?). Plus, we have the exhibition games as I noted before. It does make a mockery of practice, especially when they're made into events instead of practices like most are.

I'm not gonna lie, I would enjoy a midnight madness, but I don't believe it's in the best interest of our program. Just because something is on ESPN doesn't mean it's the right thing to do in order to be an "elite" program. And you can't use college football as an example because they only have 5 or so home games a year, compared to our 12-15(?). Plus, we have the exhibition games as I noted before. It does make a mockery of practice, especially when they're made into events instead of practices like most are.

I call b.s. here. What do you mean by saying "it's not in the best interest of our program"? We have had midnight madness, blue-white games, etc. all in the past. What was wrong with it then?

How many midnight madness events get broadcast on ESPN?? Get serious. There are over 300 D1 programs and I'd bet that half of them have some type of pre-season event.

Explain what makes a mockery? KU has a huge event every year. How do they do so well missing an hour of practice? Cannot believe KU even makes the Tourney each year due to the mockery they create.

We aren't KU or Kentucky, and I'd bet nowhere near half of the D1 schools do a midnight madness type of event. I just don't believe there's any need for it. And yes, they do show clips of almost all of the big time programs events on ESPN, and they are all for show, with nothing good coming out of it for the players except bloated egos.

We aren't KU or Kentucky, and I'd bet nowhere near half of the D1 schools do a midnight madness type of event. I just don't believe there's any need for it. And yes, they do show clips of almost all of the big time programs events on ESPN, and they are all for show, with nothing good coming out of it for the players except bloated egos.

OK relax a little bit. I initially thought a midnight madness game would be a waste. But upon further consideration I believe it would be a fun event to give fans a little excitement so start the season. We are not a UK or KU program but that doesn't mean we can't have a scrimmage. Getting to see these players we have talked about for quite some time now would be fun to see and at no detriment to the program.

Must be August/September if the Billikens.com faithful are complaining about the lack of a midnight madness / open practice. Happens every year and it simply isn't going to change while RM is the coach.

We could always go back to the good ole days of an open practice for Billiken Club members hosted by BS at West Pine Gym where we get our first glance at players like Obi Ikeafor or midnight madnesses where we watch the Darren Clarkes of the world shoot lights out...those were the days.

I call b.s. here. What do you mean by saying "it's not in the best interest of our program"? We have had midnight madness, blue-white games, etc. all in the past. What was wrong with it then?

How many midnight madness events get broadcast on ESPN?? Get serious. There are over 300 D1 programs and I'd bet that half of them have some type of pre-season event.

Explain what makes a mockery? KU has a huge event every year. How do they do so well missing an hour of practice? Cannot believe KU even makes the Tourney each year due to the mockery they create.

KU also packs the building in, during fall break. How many people would SLU bring in? It's not really a fair comparison. I don't know of any school that has a private event for boosters. It's either completely open to the public or there's nothing. The vast majority of schools have closed practice as well.

It's more of a recruiting tool for the schools where it's a big event anyway. The rule was changed a couple years ago since the schools kept trying to move it up since a recruit can only go to one of them each year.

Must be August/September if the Billikens.com faithful are complaining about the lack of a midnight madness / open practice. Happens every year and it simply isn't going to change while RM is the coach.

We could always go back to the good ole days of an open practice for Billiken Club members hosted by BS at West Pine Gym where we get our first glance at players like Obi Ikeafor or midnight madnesses where we watch the Darren Clarkes of the world shoot lights out...those were the days.

???? So, having an event like this means we are going back to the Soderberg days? Where did this condescending attitude toward everybody come from? It's pretty pathetic.

???? So, having an event like this means we are going back to the Soderberg days? Where did this condescending attitude toward everybody come from? It's pretty pathetic.

The last three years people have complained that Majerus doesn't have a midnight madness. I don't think he is going to change his ways. It feels to me like yet another attack by many on RM.

The last coach that did do midnight madness or a billiken club even was BS. Hence the reference to him.

I apologize if you feel like I was personally attacking you by calling you part of the billikens.com faithful that wants a midnight madness.

I'm with you on this. Would I like to see an event? Of course. I've been to probably every one they've ever had, and would go this year. However, RM doesn't like them ... for whatever reason. That's fine, he's been that way since day one, so it's not like he's taking something away. Just keep the improvement coming on the court in the real games when it counts with good student athletes and I can live with the change.

The last three years people have complained that Majerus doesn't have a midnight madness. I don't think he is going to change his ways. It feels to me like yet another attack by many on RM.

The last coach that did do midnight madness or a billiken club even was BS. Hence the reference to him.

I apologize if you feel like I was personally attacking you by calling you part of the billikens.com faithful that wants a midnight madness.

I don't take it as an attack on the coach, but many feel it's a stupid decision. I wouldn't trade RM for many people these days, but still think it's a dumb decision not to do something. And, perhaps a MM wasn't held because we had nothing to show. At this point...with all the excitement going into the season...perhaps he would be willing to change his mind. Probably not, but it's certainly an acceptable conversation in August.

And I don't feel like i'm being personally attacked. No need for an apology. Just feel like a lot of your responses are quite condescending (toward most people...not me...i barely post these days). Doesn't matter, I guess. I'll live.

I don't take it as an attack on the coach, but many feel it's a stupid decision. I wouldn't trade RM for many people these days, but still think it's a dumb decision not to do something. And, perhaps a MM wasn't held because we had nothing to show. At this point...with all the excitement going into the season...perhaps he would be willing to change his mind. Probably not, but it's certainly an acceptable conversation in August.

And I don't feel like i'm being personally attacked. No need for an apology. Just feel like a lot of your responses are quite condescending (toward most people...not me...i barely post these days). Doesn't matter, I guess. I'll live.

There's a lot of condescending posters on message boards. Not sure I will ever understand that either. We are all fans of the Billikens, so essentially we are all on the same team. I would understand it more on an A-10 Board where fans are from different teams.

On the open practice thing, this will turn into an RM debate I am afraid. My feelings do not change regardless of the Coach. I would like something. Not sure what, but something. We get such little information as Billiken fans. The local media is of little help. We don't hear all that much about recruiting. There is a lackluster effort in regards to a Coaches show during the season.

Everybody wants there to be a "buzz" around our program. We are the only D1 basketball program in town in a pretty large city, yet it wouldn't seem that way. We will have a good turnout this year and we had a decent turn out last year, but if you really want to build excitement you have to find creative ways to get the fans involved. Yes, winning will do it. But, it takes more than that as well. I realize RM does things his way and that is fine but maybe there should be something. It would be nice to have at least seen new players prior to the first exhibition game, instead of a report from somebody that said they saw a player and "assumed it must be".

Maybe I am just hoping and wanting more because I wasn't able to attend the "Fan Appreciation" event and basketball experience for the fans I heard about towards the end of last season.