Bilas Picks Billikens 5th in A-10

TheBand

If only we had an Oak Hill graduate!!! :rolleyes:

Duh, Clock! You know the reason we have no shot at McClemore is because he's heading to Oak Hill, right?! It's above our level of recruiting ;)

All jokes aside, Staten will I'm sure end up being a stud...but that likely won't completely develop during his first season. By the time he's a Junior, watch out, but the same can probably be said about McCall. I can't wait until Kwamain manhandles the poor little Oak Hill boy!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus himself has said that McCall is better coming in than KM was.

That is not exactly what he said. He said he was a better shooter and a little quicker and plays a lot like him. He also warned that he has to see how he will fit in and adjust to the D1 game. Reading between the lines, I think what is important for McCall is how good will his decision-making be as freshmen. That is the big question mark. But as a prospect, Majerus is super high on him.

I have heard a few interviews by Majerus now and the freshman he talks up the most is Barnett. From those interview and the reports people have of him, it sounds like he is going to light it up when he becomes elgible.

That is not exactly what he said. He said he was a better shooter and a little quicker and plays a lot like him. He also warned that he has to see how he will fit in and adjust to the D1 game. Reading between the lines, I think what is important for McCall is how good will his decision-making be as freshmen. That is the big question mark. But as a prospect, Majerus is super high on him.

I have heard a few interviews by Majerus now and the freshman he talks up the most is Barnett. From those interview and the reports people have of him, it sounds like he is going to light it up when he becomes elgible.

One minor correction-JB is not a FR. He played his FR year last yr, but he will join what is our current FR class next yr when he becomes eligible and at that time they will all be SOPHs.

If MM can shoot as projected, JB can shoot consistent with the reports here on Billikens.com and we get just minimal outside shooting improvement from CS and KC, it sure will open up the inside for next yrs bigs. That doesn't even count on CE and RL being excellent 18-23 ft shooters.

As a long time Billikens fan I can tell you that other than the SH, EC, HW senior year, I have never looked more forward to an upcoming season. Now if we could just get a sneak peek at the new players, I'd really be excited. Come on Rick, it's time to help build excitement about the program with something approaching a Midnight Madness.

Roar. Your logic continues to impress. :lol:

Glad to see that you now admit that THE high school (not SLUH for those still reading) known as Oak Hill has had some good players. Juwan Staten went to Oak Hill. Therefore Juwan Staten will lead UD to 2nd place finish in the A10. Thanks for clearing things up!! :rolleyes:

Also, maybe you are right in saying that UD's new recruits will be better than their graduating Seniors. Only time will tell. In the meantime, why post untrue statements - that UD is keeping last year's talent and adding to it?

Finally, I don't get why you slam SLU while telling us about how great UD's recruits are. Who are you referring to when you say the UD recruits "are not like the players we (SLU) are used to getting, these players are ready to compete and contribute right away at a high level"? Are you referring to KM, WR, BC, CE, CS, etc. or are you referring to player from the prior coaching regime? Last I checked our team of Frosh/Sophs beat UD (full of upperclassmen) twice last year. This year, we have our deepest/possibly best team in 60 years (3 straight really good recruting classes), players with experience, size and strength, a HOF coach compared to Gregory. If only we had an Oak Hill graduate!!! :rolleyes:

you win, your smiley face additions to your argument clearly won out. and you are literally too dumb to insult. and i cant stand defending UD anymore.

Waht do I disagree with in this this Bilas/ESPN article?

The predictions: I like the tiered approach done on the A-10 board, namely that there are tiers of teams in this league and that shifting within the tiers is likely. Saying that, I think the top four will be, in my order, Richmond, Temple, SLU and Xavier.

Xavier: While I agree they are a "program" and to be emulated, they have lost a lost and need to replace it. However, if you subscribe to the theory that college is a guard's game (as I do), they are better off with their four returning players. Replacing Love may be as simple as plugging in a turned-on Kenny Frease and I'm sure that's what X fans are hoping for.

Dayton: Brian Gregory is not "among the finest coaches in the business." If he was, how come they continue to underachieve? I would agree with "one of the finest recruiters in the business" for the talent he keeps bringing into Dayton, but his game coaching skills are surpassed by most, equivalent to Calipari at Kentucky. Only the blindest Dayton fan will argue against that. Back to the guard theory --- while I said X was strong, Dayton is the complete opposite. No one returns in the backcourt and while Lowery and Warren were turnover-prone, their frenetic style of play may have inflated those numbers. Saying an incoming transfer or a rookie guard will improve that is a tremendous leap of faith. While YouDee did win the NIT, I watched it and I came away thinking Lowery and Warren ignored Gregory's coaching in their run. Maybe that was what worked --- they were seniors and maybe said "who cares" to what Gregory was preaching. Also disagre with "Chrish Wright ... will be an NBA player." Outside of a dunk or layup, Chris Wright has shown no ability to put the ball in the basket. He won't be able to bully his way at the next level and looks like an overseas player to me. He has not grown in his four years at YouDee. Much. Yeah, fine coaching there.

Temple: question for me is who is the spot-up shooter? With Brooks gone, they only return slashers and Fernandez. But their suffocating defense will keep them in it until someone develops. Maybe it is Fernandez and Brown is the point. Or vice-a-versa. Still, they lack in guard play. And with Brown a freshman guard, see the theory again.

Richmond: I don't know that Anderson has "dynamic playmaking and scoring ability." From what I've seen, he does have both --- but mainly for himself. He's a scorer in a point guard's body. Gonzalvez will be missed. Also no mention of the loss of Butler. I likened Butler to Kyle. Someone you don't notice unti he's gone. Only time will tell.

Charlotte: I don't know that the talnet Majpor "inherited" is what will work. Many times, a coaching change means a change in style of play. Will that happen here? Also, I thought DuJuan Harris was an all-encompassing point for the 49ers. Derrio Green was a 2-guard. No point? Hmmmmmm.

Rhode Island: Colston and Turner were key cogs and huge losses. I know Rhodey has two 7-footers but the first Will Martel was terrible. Is this new guy Vedder any better? I haven't seen two seven-footers work in a lineup since the Duncan days at Wake Forest (even though Duncan and that Spanish guy were like 6-10 or 6-11). But that little sniper on the bench is a year older and wiser so who knows.

For us: will experience equal an improvement? I think so. My two cents.

Xavier: While I agree they are a "program" and to be emulated, they have lost a lost and need to replace it. However, if you subscribe to the theory that college is a guard's game (as I do), they are better off with their four returning players. Replacing Love may be as simple as plugging in a turned-on Kenny Frease and I'm sure that's what X fans are hoping for.

Every year the story is, 'How can Xavier replace what they lost?' and every year they reload and/or someone blows up, and they make the Sweet 16. This is still their conference, as far as I'm concerned, until that stops happening.

Dayton: Brian Gregory is not "among the finest coaches in the business."

Couldn't agree more with this. However, Staten should be an upgrade over the grossly overrated point guards Warren and Lowery. If not immediately, he'll be way better for his career there. I must be the only guy who doesn't equate 'energy' with 'production' because with them, I saw two guys running around like fools because they weren't good shooters, were average passers, and had limited court vision.

Temple: question for me is who is the spot-up shooter?

Fernandez: FG% .427 3FG%: .453 (73/161) - he is the spot-up shooter. They have a few other guys who averaged about 1 or less a game, and I can't speak for the incoming freshmen.

Richmond: I don't know that Anderson has "dynamic playmaking and scoring ability." From what I've seen, he does have both --- but mainly for himself. He's a scorer in a point guard's body. Gonzalvez will be missed. Also no mention of the loss of Butler. I likened Butler to Kyle. Someone you don't notice unti he's gone. Only time will tell.

I see Gonzalvez as their only real loss. The other guys were replaceable. Anderson isn't perfect but was the POY, and Geriot has another year under his belt after massive knee surgery; he won't be 100% but should show some signs of where his early-career self appeared to be going.

Charlotte: I don't know that the talnet Majpor "inherited" is what will work.

They didn't lose anybody and Spears is a monster. A coaching change might be just what they needed.

Rhode Island: Colston and Turner were key cogs and huge losses. I know Rhodey has two 7-footers but the first Will Martel was terrible. Is this new guy Vedder any better? I haven't seen two seven-footers work in a lineup since the Duncan days at Wake Forest (even though Duncan and that Spanish guy were like 6-10 or 6-11). But that little sniper on the bench is a year older and wiser so who knows.

Vedder is a project. We shouldn't see them both on the floor this year much, if at all (he could be a redshirt candidate). Martell is also a senior, so the big frontcourt thing is a dream unless I'm totally wrong about Vedder having any shot at being an instant-impact guy. Akeem Richmond killed us and probably is licking his chops at the chance to do it again.

I'm not taking anyone in conference for granted. I think we have another conference that has a top half that can compete with the best of them and will give our BCS matchups fits, and a bottom half that has some serious rebuilding to do. Any loss to a bottom half A10 team will be devastating to the top half, who will be scrambling like mad all season. Hopefully we just don't all beat up on each other too badly before Tournament bids go out.

Every year the story is, 'How can Xavier replace what they lost?' and every year they reload and/or someone blows up, and they make the Sweet 16. This is still their conference, as far as I'm concerned, until that stops happening.

Couldn't agree more with this. However, Staten should be an upgrade over the grossly overrated point guards Warren and Lowery. If not immediately, he'll be way better for his career there. I must be the only guy who doesn't equate 'energy' with 'production' because with them, I saw two guys running around like fools because they weren't good shooters, were average passers, and had limited court vision.

Fernandez: FG% .427 3FG%: .453 (73/161) - he is the spot-up shooter. They have a few other guys who averaged about 1 or less a game, and I can't speak for the incoming freshmen.

I see Gonzalvez as their only real loss. The other guys were replaceable. Anderson isn't perfect but was the POY, and Geriot has another year under his belt after massive knee surgery; he won't be 100% but should show some signs of where his early-career self appeared to be going.

They didn't lose anybody and Spears is a monster. A coaching change might be just what they needed.

Vedder is a project. We shouldn't see them both on the floor this year much, if at all (he could be a redshirt candidate). Martell is also a senior, so the big frontcourt thing is a dream unless I'm totally wrong about Vedder having any shot at being an instant-impact guy. Akeem Richmond killed us and probably is licking his chops at the chance to do it again.

I'm not taking anyone in conference for granted. I think we have another conference that has a top half that can compete with the best of them and will give our BCS matchups fits, and a bottom half that has some serious rebuilding to do. Any loss to a bottom half A10 team will be devastating to the top half, who will be scrambling like mad all season. Hopefully we just don't all beat up on each other too badly before Tournament bids go out.

:lol: You're not the only one. That's exactly what I thought of those two.

first i want to state that all in all, i agree we should finish higher than 5th place. without seeing newcomers and seeing non conference results, i consider it silly to try to predict a conference standings at this point though. especially with our (the typical fan's) limited knowledge of all things to consider.

i am amused though with the indignant tone of some of the billikens.com posters that just assume "we finished 4th last year didnt lose anyone and recruited well so should win the world championship this year". first off, dont forget we snuck up on the conference last year. how many times did teams look past us to the next game? i would venture to guess we won 3 games in conference last year on surprise factor alone. second, while the likes of xu did indeed lose the top player in the conference, xavier has shown they have the ability to reload year after year. and while richmond and temple indeed lost players, they return their best players and also had decent recruiting classes. nobody was sitting around waiting for the billikens to take over the conference.

i think this year it will be just the opposite from last year. underdogs will be looking to make a mark against the touted billikens and i expect an unexpected loss somewhere. the richmonds and dayton's will be more prepared and wont necessarily look past us so those arent gimmee wins either. and last, just reading the other team reports at espn last night, it appears the conference only got better. granted this year we might offset the above with an unexpected win vs xu or temple, but we'll see how the overall shakes out. i hope we finish top 2 or 3 but it wouldnt surprise me to see a 500 conference record and finishing somewhere in the top 8 as well.

my point is any conjecture at this point is really akin to reading a nice novel imo. entertaining, but not necessarily the accurate picture of what's going to happen.

I don't really care what Bilas thinks. IMO we should continue to improve. If we drop down tho 5th this season it will be a big disappointment. Barring some unforeseen injury/transfer/etc. I don't see how RM lets this team go backwards in conference play next year.

I don't buy the looking past SLU argument for a second. If you do, you're downplaying the job one Rick Majerus did in getting his guys ready to play. SLU is on its way to making a mark on this league. This is the next step in the progression...making teams like 8-Dayton guaranteed wins. Once we get there, the sky's the limit. Dayton is a team of good players and one of the worst game coaches on the planet. He cost Dayton half their losses last year. SLU doesn't have that problem. It's Temple/X at the top until somebody knocks them off...so let's be the one to do it.

I don't buy the looking past SLU argument for a second. If you do, you're downplaying the job one Rick Majerus did in getting his guys ready to play. SLU is on its way to making a mark on this league. This is the next step in the progression...making teams like 8-Dayton guaranteed wins. Once we get there, the sky's the limit. Dayton is a team of good players and one of the worst game coaches on the planet. He cost Dayton half their losses last year. SLU doesn't have that problem. It's Temple/X at the top until somebody knocks them off...so let's be the one to do it.

Very inspirational post coming from a guy that calls himself 'busted dreams'. thanks.