New rankings out. Beal no. 6, McLemore no. 9

"Shooting guards, No. 2 Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla./Winter Park), No. 6 Bradley Beal (St. Louis/Chaminade College Prep) and No. 20 Nick Johnson (Gilbert, Ariz./Findlay Prep) can get on a hot streak with 3-pointers, hit mid-range jumpers, beat defenders off the dribble and find open teammates. Johnson is the best defender of the three, but all of them are dangerous in transition or in the half-court set and can even play the point guard position in a pinch."

Elite newcomers

Ben McLemore (St. Louis/Eskridge)

SG, 6-5, 185 pounds | College: undecided

"He had a tremendous spring and outplayed many other people at his position, which is how McLemore earned his No. 9 ranking. He can score from multiple spots on the floor and finishes above the rim."

McCluer North's BJ Young was listed at no. 44.

"Shooting guards, No. 2 Austin Rivers (Winter Park, Fla./Winter Park), No. 6 Bradley Beal (St. Louis/Chaminade College Prep) and No. 20 Nick Johnson (Gilbert, Ariz./Findlay Prep) can get on a hot streak with 3-pointers, hit mid-range jumpers, beat defenders off the dribble and find open teammates. Johnson is the best defender of the three, but all of them are dangerous in transition or in the half-court set and can even play the point guard position in a pinch."

Elite newcomers

Ben McLemore (St. Louis/Eskridge)

SG, 6-5, 185 pounds | College: undecided

"He had a tremendous spring and outplayed many other people at his position, which is how McLemore earned his No. 9 ranking. He can score from multiple spots on the floor and finishes above the rim."

McCluer North's BJ Young was listed at no. 44.

Wherever Austin Rivers is ranked, Beal should be ranked higher. He is better.

bad boyz for life

I think Rivers is more talented, but Beal is a better winner. I would rather have Beal on my team.

Is this the best St. Louis class ever?

How can you make that assumption? What makes you think Beal is a "better winner"? I'm not knocking Beal, but come on.

Because whenever they go head-to-head Beal's team seems to come out on top. Beal is the captain of the olympic team and leading scorer. He has a state championship. He isn't as flashy as Rivers but he is a grittier player—a winner.

Because whenever they go head-to-head Beal's team seems to come out on top. Beal is the captain of the olympic team and leading scorer. He has a state championship. He isn't as flashy as Rivers but he is a grittier player—a winner.

Pretty much every player of these guys level are going to have a long list of achievements.

On a side note, does any know if Ben is still a virtual lock for KU?

Pretty much every player of these guys level are going to have a long list of achievements.

On a side note, does any know if Ben is still a virtual lock for KU?

Ok, but at every level Brad has been on, he wins. And every time they go head to head Brad seems to get the better of Rivers.

Ok, but at every level Brad has been on, he wins. And every time they go head to head Brad seems to get the better of Rivers.

Rivers is the flashier of the two but Beal is the steadier player. I've actually seen Rivers more often than I've seen Beal. I have seen a number of his games on television. I see most of the top players in the country on Fox Sports television. Rivers team was beaten this year in the state tournament. I'd rather have Beal. Coach RM likes Beal. I don't know if he would care for Rivers style of play.

Rivers is the flashier of the two but Beal is the steadier player. I've actually seen Rivers more often than I've seen Beal. I have seen a number of his games on television. I see most of the top players in the country on Fox Sports television. Rivers team was beaten this year in the state tournament. I'd rather have Beal. Coach RM likes Beal. I don't know if he would care for Rivers style of play.

In all honestly, the state of Florida probably has more quality teams than Missouri. So saying because Beal won State and Rivers didn't doesn't really make much sense in this situation.

RM would take Rivers in a heartbeat if Rivers wanted to come to SLU regardless of his flashiness.

In all honestly, the state of Florida probably has more quality teams than Missouri. So saying because Beal won State and Rivers didn't doesn't really make much sense in this situation.

RM would take Rivers in a heartbeat if Rivers wanted to come to SLU regardless of his flashiness.

Its all about winning though. Rivers probably has a better supporting cast than Beal. Beal is the captain of the U17 National team. That says a lot.

Its all about winning though. Rivers probably has a better supporting cast than Beal. Beal is the captain of the U17 National team. That says a lot.

Are we in the running for any of these kids? I thought Beal committed to FL. Not sure but this is the first time I've seen 3 STL kids in the top 50.

When you're ranked top 10 you're expected to play in the league in the very near future.

No way. This is only rankings for one position. There's no way the top 50 high school players are expected to be in the NBA in the very near future by anyone other than themselves and their entourage.

No way. This is only rankings for one position. There's no way the top 50 high school players are expected to be in the NBA in the very near future by anyone other than themselves and their entourage.

Actually, those are overall rankings. Beal is the 6th ranked overall. 2nd in shooting guards.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/...26season%3d2011

This top 50 at the shooting guard position, not top 50 overall.

Nope those are overall rankings.

And SLU does not appear to be in the running for any. Perhaps an extreme long-shot for Mclemore.

Nope those are overall rankings.

And SLU does not appear to be in the running for any. Perhaps an extreme long-shot for Mclemore.

That's a shame. I'd like to see us land a decent local or two. Might start a trend. If FJ is indeed gone, by my count we have only one local on the team, PE.

Rickma would roll out the red carpet for Austin. He is Doc's kid.

I think Rivers is more talented, but Beal is a better winner. I would rather have Beal on my team.

Is this the best St. Louis class ever?

Rivers was clutch and played like a true winner at the FIBA U18 Americas championship leadiing the US to the championship. Set a USA FIBA single game scoring record of 35, lead the team in scoring at 20.2 ppg, and shot 60% from 3pt (21 out of 35).