With all the transfer talk......

sluhomer

Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that Booker has Missouri State as one of the schools he may like to transfer into.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cuonzo Martin out recruits everyone for St. Louis kids in the future. RM has taken kids from KC and

Topeka we would have never gotten before and seems quite able from Northern Illinois to get kids there, also. It seems he

has a good sense of locals who might not be real SLU material from an academic standpoint. I think it takes special kids to

do all that travel and still hit the books.

Lowrey is not a replacement for Weber.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cuonzo Martin out recruits everyone for St. Louis kids in the future. RM has taken kids from KC and

Topeka we would have never gotten before and seems quite able from Northern Illinois to get kids there, also. It seems he

has a good sense of locals who might not be real SLU material from an academic standpoint. I think it takes special kids to

do all that travel and still hit the books.

Lowrey is not a replacement for Weber.

I believe that you are dead on in this assessment of Martin. I do not belive there is any truth to the above posters statement that MO State is a possible destination for Booker as he would have to sit 2 years per Valley rules. I hate to lose him but while AB had the potential to be real good, he also needed quality coaching. SIU is completely without quality coaching right now.

I believe that you are dead on in this assessment of Martin. I do not belive there is any truth to the above posters statement that MO State is a possible destination for Booker as he would have to sit 2 years per Valley rules. I hate to lose him but while AB had the potential to be real good, he also needed quality coaching. SIU is completely without quality coaching right now.

this is exactly why every coach should take the money and run whenever it is there. while i am not a lowery fan and never have been (i think he is nothing more than a thug teacher), when he had offers coming from everywhere a few years ago and settled for less to stay at siu carbondale, he made a huge mistake. obviously he is on life support now with players leaving in droves a couple of subpar seasons etc whereas just a few years ago the carbondale fans adored him and had proclaimed him the new king. take the money.

[/i][/u]

this is exactly why every coach should take the money and run whenever it is there. while i am not a lowery fan and never have been (i think he is nothing more than a thug teacher), when he had offers coming from everywhere a few years ago and settled for less to stay at siu carbondale, he made a huge mistake. obviously he is on life support now with players leaving in droves a couple of subpar seasons etc whereas just a few years ago the carbondale fans adored him and had proclaimed him the new king. take the money.

Maybe. But the road is also littered with plenty of coaches that tried to step up their game to the next level and end up being fired a few years later. Lickliter and Gillespie are two that come to mind off the top of my head. McDermett knew he was a year from being fired, hence his decision to take a step down (in conference anyway).

If Lowrey had moved on a few years back and had been as disapointing as he was these past three years and had the players leaving he'd already be fired at a BCS school. At least here he'll get at least one more season to turn things around.

Maybe. But the road is also littered with plenty of coaches that tried to step up their game to the next level and end up being fired a few years later. Lickliter and Gillespie are two that come to mind off the top of my head. McDermett knew he was a year from being fired, hence his decision to take a step down (in conference anyway).

If Lowrey had moved on a few years back and had been as disapointing as he was these past three years and had the players leaving he'd already be fired at a BCS school. At least here he'll get at least one more season to turn things around.

those "fired" coaches would still have the additional hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of additional dollars. lowery is going to get fired anyway, so what was the point of showing "loyalty"? should have taken the money.

[/i][/u]

What surprises me is the lack of local media coverage of what is essentially a program that is imploding. When SIU was winning a lot of games and going to the NCAA, there was a ton of coverage. They were considered this great "local" team we were all supposed to root for. Now, nothing. If this was happening to MU or SLU, the local media would be all over it.

[/i][/u]

but what about the coach's committment to the kids?

yeh Roy, what about the committment to the kids?

yes the school should be committed to the kids and not allow jerkoff coaches to send them packing for no good reason other than they found another kid that can shoot better than the one leaving.

the coach made the kid a promise to give them an education and play basketball. if the coach promised them he would be the coach forever, and that is the reason the kid came, well the kid apparently isnt very smart. the kid should be coming to the school for the school itself.

the kid gets promised college not a father.

yes the school should be committed to the kids and not allow jerkoff coaches to send them packing for no good reason other than they found another kid that can shoot better than the one leaving.

the coach made the kid a promise to give them an education and play basketball. if the coach promised them he would be the coach forever, and that is the reason the kid came, well the kid apparently isnt very smart. the kid should be coming to the school for the school itself.

You sure pretend to care about the kids when its convenient for your argument and when its not ###### EM!

You sure pretend to care about the kids when its convenient for your argument and when its not ###### EM!

who is the last player that i said "######EM"? (anything other than cotto, please provide link)

I wasn't quoting you roy. I was merely exaggerating.

fine even in your context. when have i ever not been supportive of the players? you made the slanderous statement, now back it up big boy.

fine even in your context. when have i ever not been supportive of the players? you made the slanderous statement, now back it up big boy.

Wow slander, thats a rough charge for a message board. Besides I don't have to look any further to this post:

I was saying that you only care about the kids when it comes to the coach promising them 4 years of education. Isn't there something to be said about a coach telling a kid he will be their coach and then jumping at the first offer that comes his way.

you really think the kids come because of the school? Under that premise UB should recruit just as well as RM, it is after all the same school?

Now on the other hand it is clearly spelled out on the scholarship agreement that it is for 1 year. Do you think RM guarantees them 4 or 5 years?

you really think the kids come because of the school? Under that premise UB should recruit just as well as RM, it is after all the same school?

Now on the other hand it is clearly spelled out on the scholarship agreement that it is for 1 year. Do you think RM guarantees them 4 or 5 years?

no i am not that naive, but i am saying that is why the kids should come. the LAST reason they should come is because of the coach and promise that coach will be their to give them a bath and hold their hands when watching a scary movie on cable for the next four years.

last question you asked, i think all coaches insinuate the whole diploma. no way i believe they preach "this is a one year deal and every year we will re-evaluate."

I never did understand if they redshirt, get a medical year, etc but are "on the team" for five years do they have tuitioin, room and board for all five years and does that count against the scholarship limitation for all five years?

I never did understand if they redshirt, get a medical year, etc but are "on the team" for five years do they have tuitioin, room and board for all five years and does that count against the scholarship limitation for all five years?

yes to all

no i am not that naive, but i am saying that is why the kids should come. the LAST reason they should come is because of the coach and promise that coach will be their to give them a bath and hold their hands when watching a scary movie on cable for the next four years.

last question you asked, i think all coaches insinuate the whole diploma. no way i believe they preach "this is a one year deal and every year we will re-evaluate."

thats why you like mediocre coaches roy.

thats why you like mediocre coaches roy.

what you believe that rickma goes in to mom and tells her, how tough he is and that the scholarship is one year and the kid is gonna take it and like it? nice joke.

Yes.

If these kids were coming to the school for the "school" and not the basketball program then why aren't the Ivy League school breaking into the Final Four every year?

The reality of it is this: the majority of basketball players looking to play college ball are not choosing a school, they are choosing a basketball program or a coach (Look at Coach Cal bringing his Memphis recruits with him to UK - UK is a $hitty school academically in comparison but they didn't care). Look at RL - he doesn't know diddly about the academics of SLU but he sure knows the coach. The coach will develop him because he is known to develop bigs for the next level. He chose SLU for the team chemistry but not the chemistry department in Monsanto Hall. These kids all think they are going to the NBA. School/schoolwork is an obstacle or obligation to many of these guys not a privelege or goal. There are some exceptions like the poster-child to all student-athletes in the Lisch kids. As a matter of fact, I am sure how the coeds look is more important than school and plays more of a factor in their decision making than academics.

So, you are right - they aren't very smart for not caring about school and the academics and making it a large weight in their decision-making; however, they think their brain is less likely to make them successful than their fade-away or 3-point shot which ultimately is their ticket to the NBA (and they all have some delusions of grandeur in thinking they are NBA bound - but it is a little understood since they have heard they are going to the NBA all their life).

One other thing, if the coaching staff is truly an ambassador to the school then shouldn't the school share the blame for kids being "run off" rather than just the head coach. The school is the guarantor of the scholarship not the coach.

Also, can you define above "play basketball".