JJ transferring

Oh but I'm not mistaken. I never said it was an athletic scholarship. I am referring to his full academic scholarship.

i dont think he has a full academic scholarship. and even if he did have a presidential scholarship, that does not cover room and board and books and leaves paul out of any basketball program perks and offseason session work.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats your point?

you said he had a full scholarship. which i took as you believed he would be the same financially as the current student athletes on basketball scholarships. that isnt true.

BK, this is a great post! I love your idea re renewing the ath. sch for PE who was a great leader off the court last year. If PE wants to play next year he is worthy of that 13th scholarship.

The above is especially true if we would be able to add an outstanding outside shooter or a high quality player along the lines of a Beal the following year-remember that scholarship would be the ONLY one available for the next recruiting class.

I don't see the need for a player of Jett's reputed ability to be locked up with a scholarship for the next 4 years. If Jordan wasn't going to get much playing time the next 2 yrs., then how would Jett and if that's the case why would we need to sign him now. Would he leapfrog over KM, MM, KC or CS during the next two seasons? In my opinion, NO. If he isn't a program changer, I say don't lock up that scholarship for 4 more yrs.

JJ's leaving was to be expected given the number of guards above him on the depth chart, but I'm not sure who else will leave to open up another scholarship the following year. Keep in mind that if getting PT is difficult with 12 players, it is just that much harder with 13. I'm pretty happy withour current group of 12, plus PE making up the 13 scholarship group for the upcoming season.

Where are you getting that Jett is not a good player?

by full scholarship I meant tuition paid

like i said, i dont think that is true. i do not recall him being named a presidential scholarship. and that is the only slu full paid tuition scholarship that i am aware slu gives out. i also believe the presidential scholarship is only for freshmen. even if paul had won that award 4 years ago, he would have forfeited that when rickma awarded him with an athletic scholarship. last, slu will not mix awards. for example, partial academic scholarship and tuition reimbursement by an employee added together for a full scholarship.

Yeah, I cannot figure out why Majerus is playing a 6-5 PG this much, a guy who shoots 33% from 3 pt land and is one of the best defenders on the team.

He is only 6'3". I am not concerned about his defense. He needs to start scoring if he is going to continue playing 30 plus minutes. Three scorers on this team is not enough. I am tired of losing games in which we hold the opponent to less than 60 points.

I'm outraged! The Dude needs to be banned; we sat together and saw KC enjoy a tremendous year, yet he didn't quite appreciate the nuances of what he brings to the team. Next year it's 43% from threeland for Kyle.

What good is 43% if he shoots only 4 shots a game? That % is all the more reason to shoot more. It's like having money in your pocket and not spending it.

I'm sure the AD/SLU is considering all options, but billiken_roy is right about Paul not being on the Presidential, and so far as I know, not being allowed to suddenly join it. Also am pretty certain SLU can't hand out partial athletic scholarships in basketball. It's an interesting situation, that's for sure.

Yeah, I cannot figure out why Majerus is playing a 6-5 PG this much, a guy who shoots 33% from 3 pt land and is one of the best defenders on the team.

He is 6'3". His defense is fine but SLU needs him to score. I am tired of losing when we hold opponents to 60 points or less.

downhill slide?

9 - 16 - 20 three previous seasons win totals in order.

go d-2? are you serious? while i agree the billikens were not a continuing basis top 50 rpi program they were far from 340ish which would have shown a "go division II or forget about" trend. "a lot of pain and suffering"? i am sure anthony bonner, douglas and gray, claggett, highmark and waldman, hughes and love, perry and fisher, izik, lisch and liddell, ian, etc all really appreciate your analysis. fans like you are actually pretty sickening imo.

again, i never said the program was a top 50 program, but it was far from a d-2 or forget about it. far from a lot of pain and suffering. i am thrilled we are poised to accomplish a nice season and more going forward, but dont slam our players of the past. your post is even worse than big bills post. you should be ashamed of yourself.

+1

Thanks, Roy. Eastsidehoe is a clown.

downhill slide?

9 - 16 - 20 three previous seasons win totals in order.

go d-2? are you serious? while i agree the billikens were not a continuing basis top 50 rpi program they were far from 340ish which would have shown a "go division II or forget about" trend. "a lot of pain and suffering"? i am sure anthony bonner, douglas and gray, claggett, highmark and waldman, hughes and love, perry and fisher, izik, lisch and liddell, ian, etc all really appreciate your analysis. fans like you are actually pretty sickening imo.

again, i never said the program was a top 50 program, but it was far from a d-2 or forget about it. far from a lot of pain and suffering. i am thrilled we are poised to accomplish a nice season and more going forward, but dont slam our players of the past. your post is even worse than big bills post. you should be ashamed of yourself.

+1

Thanks, Roy. Eastsidehoe is a clown.

What good is 43% if he shoots only 4 shots a game? That % is all the more reason to shoot more. It's like having money in your pocket and not spending it.

Agreed....Cassity ranked #1 in minutes played this season for the Bills but ranked #5 in FG attempted. Cassity has less attempts than Ellis, who showed up in January and played half the minutes that Cassity did. In my opinion he lacks confidence in his shot, if he misses early he then hesitates to take shots later in the game. I did like seeing him take the ball to the basket more and more as the season went on, but he needs to be a little more like Ellis with his shot. Meaning, even if his shot is off early, to continue to shoot and show confidence in his ability and shot, like Ellis.

Where did you get the idea that Jett is not an outstanding prospect? He has an espn rating of 90, as a comparison Mike McCall, who everone is excited about ( including me ), has an espn rating of 82. RM isn't going to bring some one in at this stage unless he thinks he can provide help.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/...ruitId%3d102215

video

http://prepstars.com/recruiting_news/2010/...0610.jsp#target

I especially like the quote that says he plays with the savvy of a 30 year old has great court vision, pinpoint passing ability, and loves the bounce pass. Sounds like a true point guard. He would be a huge help

With more scoring options with the additions of Loe and McCall, plus the continued development of Ellis, having a point guard who is best-suited to set everybody up makes some sense. That is not to say Mitchell is not good at setting up others, but he also has a scoring mentality. This would allow our point guards to give opponents two different styles of point guard to contend with.

He is 6'3". His defense is fine but SLU needs him to score. I am tired of losing when we hold opponents to 60 points or less.

If you watch Billiken basketball, you must know that Majerus is sandbagging on the listed heights. The Dayton announcers even mentioned it on TV. When we are playing at home, it is easy to see that he is taller than the opposing shooting guards listed at 6-4. That goes for everybody but Ellis who came in at midseason. Cory is clearly taller than Ellis even though he is listed an inch shorter.

With more scoring options with the additions of Loe and McCall, plus the continued development of Ellis, having a point guard who is best-suited to set everybody up makes some sense. That is not to say Mitchell is not good at setting up others, but he also has a scoring mentality. This would allow our point guards to give opponents two different styles of point guard to contend with.

I agree and think that is why Cassity fits in well.

He is only 6'3". I am not concerned about his defense. He needs to start scoring if he is going to continue playing 30 plus minutes. Three scorers on this team is not enough. I am tired of losing games in which we hold the opponent to less than 60 points.

1) We just won 23 games so I don't know why you are tired of losing games.

2) Who are the 3 scorers? Are Willie and Cody the other 2? I think 2 of those 3 "scorers" need to do it a little more consistenly also and not disappear in some games. Of course, we should also remember they are all freshmen and sophmores.

Agreed....Cassity ranked #1 in minutes played this season for the Bills but ranked #5 in FG attempted. Cassity has less attempts than Ellis, who showed up in January and played half the minutes that Cassity did. In my opinion he lacks confidence in his shot, if he misses early he then hesitates to take shots later in the game. I did like seeing him take the ball to the basket more and more as the season went on, but he needs to be a little more like Ellis with his shot. Meaning, even if his shot is off early, to continue to shoot and show confidence in his ability and shot, like Ellis.

In my opinion KC & CS will not be expected to big time contributors on the score board , their roles will be the defensive end and setting the offense for our main scorers KM.WR ,CE & maybe MM & RL depending on how soon they can get up to speed of college ball, but if KC & CS have the opportunity to take it they will, I do believe court time will be cut dramatically for CS with the new recruits coming in and will be a back up for KC when he is rested or in foul trouble, which i beleive will lead CS to be the next through the RM revolving door at season end.

Interesting Stat

KM,WR & CE 984 FGA Ellis only here from start of Conference, and only KM is capable of creating his own shot.

Rest of the team 925 FGA

In my opinion KC & CS will not be expected to big time contributors on the score board , their roles will be the defensive end and setting the offense for our main scorers KM.WR ,CE & maybe MM & RL depending on how soon they can get up to speed of college ball, but if KC & CS have the opportunity to take it they will, I do believe court time will be cut dramatically for CS with the new recruits coming in and will be a back up for KC when he is rested or in foul trouble, which i beleive will lead CS to be the next through the RM revolving door at season end.

Interesting Stat

KM,WR & CE 984 FGA Ellis only here from start of Conference, and only KM is capable of creating his own shot.

Rest of the team 925 FGA

you are forgetting how much better CS played the last 15 games and he had a mild bump up in quality after CE showed in second semester.

The days of KM and KC playing 35 minutes a game are gone in my opinion-we are no longer a starting five and 3 back ups for a team