Article on Xavier basketball commitment

bbill

Someone needs to print this, highlight the effects that the basketball program had on the enrollment and nail it to Biondi's door. Any Frat guys or rugby players out there that can make a pledge or a rookie do that? It would be awesome. I double-dog dare ya.

Interesting article on Xavier basketball spending and use of charters. If they're the standard . . .

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2010032...big-time+player

Kinda like the old saying, "You gotta spend money to make money." Doing things first class pays off in the long run. I just wiosh our HC would have handled the charters situation privately instead of letting his mouth run in public.

Kinda like the old saying, "You gotta spend money to make money." Doing things first class pays off in the long run. I just wiosh our HC would have handled the charters situation privately instead of letting his mouth run in public.

In a way, this article would have less significance if RM didn't open his mouth publicly.

It also helps when your president is insane about basketball. I've heard Father Graham talk, and he is extremely knowledgeable about the sport, to the point where he can rattle off Xavier's current RPI and intelligently discuss why the A-10 deserved 4 or 5 teams in the Tourney (this was in early February)...

Plus, he's visible at every game- the student section even has a chant for him, which he feeds with his enthusiasm...he is kind of like their Jesuit Mark Cuban...

It also helps when your president is insane about basketball. I've heard Father Graham talk, and he is extremely knowledgeable about the sport, to the point where he can rattle off Xavier's current RPI and intelligently discuss why the A-10 deserved 4 or 5 teams in the Tourney (this was in early February)...

Plus, he's visible at every game- the student section even has a chant for him, which he feeds with his enthusiasm...he is kind of like their Jesuit Mark Cuban...

The thrust of the article is "if you're gonna hang with the big dogs you can't act like a puppy." Hopefully, FR. B, RM, and the good Dr. C have some nice long chats (dinners) over the offseason and get SLU on the same track. We now have the talent to compete, a great coach, good staff... all that's lacking is some sound leadership and support from the top.

Biondi needs to get the kids charter flights to play in the A-10.

I am sure Majerus mentioned it publicly because it was necessary.

It was the right move; RM did what was necesaary.

Biondi needs to get the kids charter flights to play in the A-10.

I am sure Majerus mentioned it publicly because it was necessary.

It was the right move; RM did what was necesaary.

He should have waited until after the season to make it an issue. Terrible timing in the middle of the season.

He should have waited until after the season to make it an issue. Terrible timing in the middle of the season.

It was a broken promise. The kids were suffering. His pleas were falling upon deaf ears. Majerus is no dummie. He has power.

He has earned respect. RM is not the one who reneged. It was the right move. Look where he has taken us, and IS taking us. The kids understand. They probably cheered when they heard him FIGHT for them. They know Xavier, etc, fly charter and do not miss as much class time and campus life. IMO. :lol:

Another thing to take out of this article is Frease's statement of "Lunken Airport." Lunken is the old Cincinnzti airport east of town on the Ohio River. Xavier is on the east side of town as well. How nice is it to have not only your own plane, but your own airport? This would be akin to the Bills not only having a plane but flying out of Parks. On some maps, Parks is listed as "St. Louis Downtown Airport." its akin to selecting Reagen or Dulles in DC. Ever been to Dulles? Arguably the worst airport in the world. Worst I've ever been in.

The hassles Xavier must avoid!!!! No early to the airport. No overcramped seats unable to handle a 6' 4" guy, let alone a 7-footer. Downgraded security issues with less of a crowd to inspect. Leaving on your time and not some cxontrived airport schedule. Take it from a guy who travels alot ---- if avoiding the problems of actually "going to the airpot" existed, I'd be about 50% happier with travel. And I wonder where we stay. I'd probably be surprised if it were above a Holiday Inn Express.

After thjis expose, someone should also do one on Butler. Our two old MCC friends that got away ...... and go toplaces like the Sweet Sixteen and the Final Four. Butler could win a national championship tonight. I remember whne Butler didn;t make the conference playoffs back in MCC days. Butler's the new Gonzaga which was the new Xavier which was the new Georgetown and Villanova and Seton Hall and St. John's. Its there for the taking --- you have many examples to follow.

Another thing to take out of this article is Frease's statement of "Lunken Airport." Lunken is the old Cincinnzti airport east of town on the Ohio River. Xavier is on the east side of town as well. How nice is it to have not only your own plane, but your own airport? This would be akin to the Bills not only having a plane but flying out of Parks. On some maps, Parks is listed as "St. Louis Downtown Airport." its akin to selecting Reagen or Dulles in DC. Ever been to Dulles? Arguably the worst airport in the world. Worst I've ever been in.

The hassles Xavier must avoid!!!! No early to the airport. No overcramped seats unable to handle a 6' 4" guy, let alone a 7-footer. Downgraded security issues with less of a crowd to inspect. Leaving on your time and not some cxontrived airport schedule. Take it from a guy who travels alot ---- if avoiding the problems of actually "going to the airpot" existed, I'd be about 50% happier with travel. And I wonder where we stay. I'd probably be surprised if it were above a Holiday Inn Express.

After thjis expose, someone should also do one on Butler. Our two old MCC friends that got away ...... and go toplaces like the Sweet Sixteen and the Final Four. Butler could win a national championship tonight. I remember whne Butler didn;t make the conference playoffs back in MCC days. Butler's the new Gonzaga which was the new Xavier which was the new Georgetown and Villanova and Seton Hall and St. John's. Its there for the taking --- you have many examples to follow.

I second the Dulles opine, obviously named after America's worst DCI, Allen Dulles.

Flying out of Lunken instead of CVG is a huge convenience for them. It's probably a 10-15 minute shuttle over there from XU's campus, no security, no checking in, no waiting in any lines or at any gates, just straight out of the van and into the plane. That's awesome.

Getting over to CVG takes twice as long, and even flying charter from there is going to take longer to get off the ground than at Lunken. Flying charter for Cincinnati teams is a must, as CVG is still one of the most expensive airports in the US (Delta has almost 90% of all incoming and outgoing flights), thankfully being bumped in 2009 from the 'most expensive' title that it held for several years. Flying commercially for XU and UC is significantly less a cost savings than for programs in most other cities. The positive to this is that CVG is not very crowded, just like Lambert these days.

If SLU flew charter, is it even possible to go in and out of Parks?

Flying out of Lunken instead of CVG is a huge convenience for them. It's probably a 10-15 minute shuttle over there from XU's campus, no security, no checking in, no waiting in any lines or at any gates, just straight out of the van and into the plane. That's awesome.

Getting over to CVG takes twice as long, and even flying charter from there is going to take longer to get off the ground than at Lunken. Flying charter for Cincinnati teams is a must, as CVG is still one of the most expensive airports in the US (Delta has almost 90% of all incoming and outgoing flights), thankfully being bumped in 2009 from the 'most expensive' title that it held for several years. Flying commercially for XU and UC is significantly less a cost savings than for programs in most other cities. The positive to this is that CVG is not very crowded, just like Lambert these days.

If SLU flew charter, is it even possible to go in and out of Parks?

It would be possible. A number of large 15-20 seat private jets are hangared out at Parks. Spirit (Lindbergh) Airport would be another option, but you basically drive past Lambert to get there.

Someone needs to print this, highlight the effects that the basketball program had on the enrollment and nail it to Biondi's door.

First someone might like to so a similar study for SLU over the past 10 years and see if the numbers are similar. (Bet they are -- as they are for almost any higher-tier university in America.)

They could also read the in-depth research analysis abot athletics spending as a whole that BRoy posted in another thread -- and decide whether a sportswriter with a vested interest in the success of a team is a better resource than a couple of Ph.D.s with training in advanced statistical analysis.

Of course, we could also always conclude that Kansas having its travel budget cut was the reason it got knocked out of the tournament so early. B)

PS on the charters: I haven't flown private charter out of Lambert for at least 10 years, but it used to be that you flew out of a terminal on the north side of the airport. 40 to 170 to the first exit past 70 (McDonnell Blvd.?).

PS on the charters: I haven't flown private charter out of Lambert for at least 10 years, but it used to be that you flew out of a terminal on the north side of the airport. 40 to 170 to the first exit past 70 (McDonnell Blvd.?).

I believe so, but I guess it's been a while for me, too. Anyway, that's how it was in 2005, last time I did.