OT: Tonite on PBS..."The Street Stops Here"

The Street Stops Here is on PBS tonite at 10p Eastern.

(That's 9p Central for those of you with geography/math issues...)

http://www.thestreetstopsheremovie.com/

It's supposed to be the best new basketball doc.

It's about Bobby Hurley, Sr. and St. Anthony H.S. in Jersey City. Should be an absolutely incredible movie.

"The Street Stops Here takes a look at the 2007-08 high school season. The pressure is on St. Anthony's of New Jersey, which has a loaded senior class that could very well be the first to leave without a state title under Hurley's watch. The class has some names you'll recognize like Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas), Mike Rosario (Rutgers) and Travon Woodall (Pitt) among others." Meanwhile the school faces potential closing due to financial struggles.

I DVR'd "The Street Stops Here" the other night and watched it yesterday. I thought it was excellent. The St. Anthony's team featured had some amazing talent, with Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas), Mike Rosario (Rutgers-McDonald's All-American in 2008), Jio Fontan (Fordham, but has now transferred to USC), and Dominic Cheek (Villanova-McDonald's All-American in 2009). Bob Hurley Sr. is definitely an intense guy. The highest level of basketball I played was CYC ball during my freshman and sophomore years of high school, so I don't know how most high school coaches are, but Hurley might be considered to be "mean" by some people. In around 30 years of coaching there, Hurley has had I think all but 1 or 2 of his players attend college, which is quite a statement considering that many of his players have come from bad neighborhoods, some from the projects.

St. Anthony's faces a yearly battle with making financial ends meet, so much so that every year it is a question of whether the school will remain open the following year. Several of the players travel from places as far as Brooklyn or Queens to the school's location in Jersey City, which I recall them saying was around 45 minutes by train.

One moment I found funny (not a spoiler) was when they showed parts of one of their early season games. The plays they were showing made me think the game wasn't going too well for St. Anthony's. Mike Rosario might have been given 2 technicals for hanging on the rim in that game. Later in the game, Hurley was screaming at the refs over something, and he happened to notice that the opposing coach was laughing at Hurley's misfortune in these proceedings, at which point Hurley made a beeline for the other coach and started yelling at the other coach "What are you laughing at? Look at the scoreboard!" They showed the scoreboard, and St. Anthony's was winning by 30 or 40.