Missouri getting worked

moytoy12

Yeah, going to 96 wouldn't make it as much fun watching the room full of athletes eating pizza with sweats on walk away devastated on live TV as their school name doesn't get called. And don't forget the madness of watching kids get their names called as they get selected. Pure chaos. I guess you would get both with 96, but I don't think it would be as intense.

I think the 9-24 matchups would suck that first week in a 96 team tournament, but imagine how much cooler the number 1's sweating would be if they were playing SLU or Illinois or Memphis or Washington in that 1-16 game. Would make the round of 64 waaaaaay better.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... imagine how much cooler the number 1's sweating would be if they were playing SLU or Illinois or Memphis or Washington in that 1-16 game. Would make the round of 64 waaaaaay better.

With that, I agree. A 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed in the 64 team field. Most of them have not been anywhere near close, akin to de facto byes or exhibitions.

This year, we're looking at such potential matchups as Syracuse v. Lehigh, Kentucky v. the Winthrop/SWAC play-in winner, etc.

I once sat through a Kentucky v. South Carolina State 2-15 opening round exhibition in Atlanta. The game wasn't close.

Uhhh, we also played Georgia. Illinois probably won't make the tourney either. So you played 3 tourney teams out of conference and Richmond was looking like a bubble team a few weeks ago. Wow.

Uhhhh we also played Vandy, Richmond, Old Dominion, Illinois, and Georgia. SLU only played one team that's going to make the NCAA tourney in the non-con and even they were a bubble team until a week ago. You can argue the merits of SLU v Mizzou all day, but SOS is not one that will favor you, roy.

3 > 1?

Overall SOS of Mizzou > Overall SOS of SLU?

Wow!

Mizzou has played assorted non-conference cupcakes at home for years, going back to Norm, through Pretty Q, and currently.

This year Mizzou hosted its own Little 8: Tenn.-Martin, Texas Pan American, Chattanooga, Fairleigh Dickinson, Ark.-Pine Bluff, Austin Peay, UMKC, and Savannah State. There's not much doubt as to who is going to win those games.

One of these years, Mizzou should get the Washington Generals on its non-conference schedule.

So subtract those 8 cupcake wins, and Mizzou is what- 14-10. Plus, Mizzou has tanked.

Missouri's biggest problem is in the low post. It was their biggest weakness before Safford went down and it really is now. MU had a four man rotation of Safford, Ramsey, Bowers, and Moore with Safford, Ramsey, and Bowers getting most of the minutes. Safford tore his ACL and is out for the season, Bowers is playing with one arm due to torn ligaments, and Moore cracked his head on a camera and didn't come back for the second half of the Nebraska game.

They do have Underwood and Stone two big guys sitting on the bench but if they couldn't get minutes against Nebraska yesterday they probably aren't going to be playing in March Madness.

Missouri is safely in the tournament, however they are probably a 10 or 11 seed and unless they can heal and get some help in the post I'm guessing they are headed for an early exit.

Mizzou has played assorted non-conference cupcakes at home for years, going back to Norm, through Pretty Q, and currently.

This year Mizzou hosted its own Little 8: Tenn.-Martin, Texas Pan American, Chattanooga, Fairleigh Dickinson, Ark.-Pine Bluff, Austin Peay, UMKC, and Savannah State. There's not much doubt as to who is going to win those games.

One of these years, Mizzou should get the Washington Generals on its non-conference schedule.

So subtract those 8 cupcake wins, and Mizzou is what- 14-10. Plus, Mizzou has tanked.

You sure you want to subtract cupcake games? Oh actually I bet you'd love to, since SLU actually lost one of theirs.

You sure you want to subtract cupcake games? Oh actually I bet you'd love to, since SLU actually lost one of theirs.

i assume you are speaking of bowling green. my guess is that the slu schedule makers thought that bowling green was going to be more of a 100 rpi team rather than the 189 team that they ended up being.

in reality the bowling green loss is pretty much the same as the mi$$ouri bad egg loss to oral roberts.

both games were likely scheduled with the same thought in mind and i think both are going to be respective home games next year.

the truth is that slu should have not played bowling green and mi$$ouri not played oral roberts and in that slot played each other for this season and next. that would have made far more sense and been a huge money maker instead of the expense it ends up being for both programs.

the truth is that slu should have not played bowling green and mi$$ouri not played oral roberts and in that slot played each other for this season and next. that would have made far more sense and been a huge money maker instead of the expense it ends up being for both programs.

I hear what you are saying about a SLU-missouri game, but let's assume that ain't gonna happen. If Bowling Green had an RPI around 100, would you be upset that they played there?

I don't mind the schedule if we replace 200+ RPIs with 75-125 RPIs. Sure, it's guesswork and if our schedule maker guesses incorrectly, I'm not going to hold that against them.

It's funny how everyone here thinks that SLU's mediocre 1st half shouldn't be considered, but still not willing to consider that Mizzou's "body of work" is consistent with an NCAA bid, especially in a down year for the field.

Cheesycow: why are you on the SLU board?

Mizzou has a good team, yes, but they can get lunkheads in school that could not make it at SLU, and of course JUCO badasses can transfer to MU.

AND MU gets tax money, so great facillities, equipment, charter planes, and in a big BCS conference, MU has a clear advantage.

So I say, good for them.

But until they grow some nads and play SLU every year, you should go to the Mizzou-Mizzou board and stay away from here. :lol:

I hear what you are saying about a SLU-missouri game, but let's assume that ain't gonna happen. If Bowling Green had an RPI around 100, would you be upset that they played there?

I don't mind the schedule if we replace 200+ RPIs with 75-125 RPIs. Sure, it's guesswork and if our schedule maker guesses incorrectly, I'm not going to hold that against them.

no, i actually have no problem with the bowling green game at all. i would love to schedule 3 bowling greenlike games each year and drop three of the semo, kennesaw state, mississippi valley state, rockhurst (or one of the other two exhibition games, three were stupid)umkc and eastern.

2-3 buy games are enough. bowling green likely wasnt intended to work out the way it did, but even then, i rather lose one on the road vs a middling team bowling green that than have the 340th team in the country here 6 times.

my only point is that the schedule slot can be made for the game that the st louis area fans want to see. slu vs tigers.

no, i actually have no problem with the bowling green game at all. i would love to schedule 3 bowling greenlike games each year and drop three of the semo, kennesaw state, mississippi valley state, rockhurst (or one of the other two exhibition games, three were stupid)umkc and eastern.

2-3 buy games are enough. bowling green likely wasnt intended to work out the way it did, but even then, i rather lose one on the road vs a middling team bowling green that than have the 340th team in the country here 6 times.

We've long agreed on this. You and I are not asking for the top dog BCS programs to come play SLU, but for us to play those schools we think will fall in the 75-125 RPI range.

my only point is that the schedule slot can be made for the game that the st louis area fans want to see. slu vs tigers.

I mean I agree. I've said this before, I don't understand the inner machinations of why teams schedule who they do or what prevents teams from scheduling certain opponents. I find it hard to believe that SLU is working super hard to make this game happen though and that Mizzou is just scared, is all. I think what's more likely is that there was some bone of contention for not continuing the series, and that neither school has made more than a cursory effort since then to try to make it happen again.

I mean I agree. I've said this before, I don't understand the inner machinations of why teams schedule who they do or what prevents teams from scheduling certain opponents. I find it hard to believe that SLU is working super hard to make this game happen though and that Mizzou is just scared, is all. I think what's more likely is that there was some bone of contention for not continuing the series, and that neither school has made more than a cursory effort since then to try to make it happen again.

Or maybe missouri is asking for more than SLU cares to give up (or vice versa). For example, missouri is asking for 2 games at Missouri and 1 at SLU. Maybe SLU is saying we'll do one here and one there. I think the former is probably more likely true.

I don't think Missouri is scared per se, but I think they realize they probably have more to lose and want to hedge against that risk.

i assume you are speaking of bowling green. my guess is that the slu schedule makers thought that bowling green was going to be more of a 100 rpi team rather than the 189 team that they ended up being.

in reality the bowling green loss is pretty much the same as the mi$$ouri bad egg loss to oral roberts.

both games were likely scheduled with the same thought in mind and i think both are going to be respective home games next year.

Good post Roy, I hope we can end this Mizzou and Mizzou vs. SLU talk on that note.