Missouri getting worked

moytoy12

in other news, my UPS package is in Salina, KS.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/etracking/tracking....2552X0363033153

maybe i'll go meet it there and beat the ###### out of it. oh, nevermind. looks like the ***** pulled a posty and skipped town.

everyone knows we own Salina, jimbo. Even brian will not step foot in salina without our permission.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in other news, my UPS package is in Salina, KS.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/etracking/tracking....2552X0363033153

maybe i'll go meet it there and beat the ###### out of it. oh, nevermind. looks like the ***** pulled a posty and skipped town.

Quit J(brought to you by jimbofive)oking around in such a serious thread, you j(brought to you by jimbofive)ackass.

How much does the committee take into account the loss of a key player like Safford? Without him they aren't the same team they were a few weeks ago and the loss to Nebraska shows that.

It all depends upon if you are a big conference, BCS school, like Missouri, in which case the injury will be discounted and not held against you in terms of making the NCAA field, although it will affect your seed.

On the other hand, if you are a mid-major like St. Mary's last year, and your star player, Patty Mills, breaks his hand when SMC's RPI was something like 24, that player tries to return in the WCC Tournament, but his shooting touch is understandably off after a near 2 month layoff, you look bad one time in the WCC final on national TV against Gonzaga, you get snubbed on Selection Sunday.

It is akin to the Jay Bilas "Eye Test."

If it hurts the BCS team, it is ignored. If it hurts the non-BCS team, it becomes the definining criterion to make room for another BCS team in the NCAA Tournament.

I know it's en vogue to rip Missouri on this board and they deserve it for some of the things that have gone on in Columbia. However, as a SLU fan, it's kind of silly to rip Missouri's success (or perceived lack thereof) over the last few years. I wish SLU's worry was falling from "definitely in" to "on the bubble".

I have no allegiance to Missouri, but don't really have anything against them.

I think RM is leading us to some great success over the next few years. I hope he is able to get a Missouri-SLU series going before he leaves.

My principal issue with Missouri is what it has always been- Missouri's refusal to play SLU home and home.

Which is also, presumably, why you hate Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Louisville?

Hate is a very strong word, that is completely inapplicable here.

SLU and Mizzou are both in the State of Missouri. That is what makes Mizzou's ducking of SLU a vastly different situation than the rest of your list, including Illinois.

Face it, Mizzou doesn't play SLU because there is a significant risk that Mizzou would get beat- as has happened 19 times in the past, when Mizzou actually did play SLU.

With the SLU program clearly on the rise, Mizzou may be forced to end Duck Season.

Hate is a very strong word, that is completely inapplicable here.

SLU and Mizzou are both in the State of Missouri. That is what makes Mizzou's ducking of SLU a vastly different situation than the rest of your list, including Illinois.

Face it, Mizzou doesn't play SLU because there is a significant risk that Mizzou would get beat- as has happened 19 times in the past, when Mizzou actually did play SLU.

With the SLU program clearly on the rise, Mizzou may be forced to end Duck Season.

That's arbitrary.

Mizzou plays good non-BCS teams all the time. I don't know the inner machinations of scheduling decisions but I definitely don't believe it's because they're "scared."

That's arbitrary.

Mizzou plays good non-BCS teams all the time. I don't know the inner machinations of scheduling decisions but I definitely don't believe it's because they're "scared."

they played more stiffs than we did. tenn martin, texas pan am, chattanooga, fairleigh dickenson, umkc, and savanaugh state all over 238 rpi.

ark pine bluff at 194 and austin peay 164 and oral roberts 125 are having great years considering their history.

they played more stiffs than we did. tenn martin, texas pan am, chattanooga, fairleigh dickenson, umkc, and savanaugh state all over 238 rpi.

ark pine bluff at 194 and austin peay 164 and oral roberts 125 are having great years considering their history.

Uhhhh we also played Vandy, Richmond, Old Dominion, Illinois, and Georgia. SLU only played one team that's going to make the NCAA tourney in the non-con and even they were a bubble team until a week ago. You can argue the merits of SLU v Mizzou all day, but SOS is not one that will favor you, roy.

That's arbitrary.

It's more a matter of turf protection.

What we've heard is why would we (Mizzou) want to play SLU when we (Mizzou) have little to gain and everything to lose?

What does Mizzou have to lose by playing SLU? It is a win-win for both schools. The last series drew huge crowds, 25,000 to the Dome for the first game. I was there, and Mizzou had more fans. All 3 games were highly competitive; SLU won at the Dome, led most of the game at Hearnes Center before losing late in the game, and lost on a buzzer beater at the now Scottrade Center.

In fact, going back to the Dark Ages of Ron Ekker, the last time SLU and Mizzou played before the more recent 3 game deal, SLU took nationally ranked Mizzou into OT at the Checkerdome before falling after SLU's top player fouled out. Mizzou won easily the next year in Columbia.

So of the 5 most recent meetings, 4 of them have been close games.

Nebraska plays Creighton. All 4 Iowa D-1 schools (Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Drake) play each other. Kentucky has been forced by the Commonwealth of Kentucky to play Louisville. Tennessee plays Memphis.

Play the game.

Uhhhh we also played Vandy, Richmond, Old Dominion, Illinois, and Georgia. SLU only played one team that's going to make the NCAA tourney in the non-con and even they were a bubble team until a week ago. You can argue the merits of SLU v Mizzou all day, but SOS is not one that will favor you, roy.

i'm not arguing sos as much as they had room to play little ole slu without too much stress of giving up a valued home and away with someone else. they had a multitude of buy games they could have tossed and scheduled slu.

It's more a matter of turf protection.

What we've heard is why would we (Mizzou) want to play SLU when we (Mizzou) have little to gain and everything to lose?

What does Mizzou have to lose by playing SLU? It is a win-win for both schools. The last series drew huge crowds, 25,000 to the Dome for the first game. I was there, and Mizzou had more fans. All 3 games were highly competitive; SLU won at the Dome, led most of the game at Hearnes Center before losing late in the game, and lost on a buzzer beater at the now Scottrade Center.

In fact, going back to the Dark Ages of Ron Ekker, the last time SLU and Mizzou played before the more recent 3 game deal, SLU took nationally ranked Mizzou into OT at the Checkerdome before falling after SLU's top player fouled out. Mizzou won easily the next year in Columbia.

So of the 5 most recent meetings, 4 of them have been close games.

Nebraska plays Creighton. All 4 Iowa D-1 schools (Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Drake) play each other. Kentucky has been forced by the Commonwealth of Kentucky to play Louisville. Tennessee plays Memphis.

Play the game.

I mean this old argument has been made millions of times. If you feel that it's worth hating a team you don't play then by all means, do it. Just remember that it's very unusual, as most fans hate other teams that play their team. Missouri is easily the most hated team on this board for no apparent reason. It'd be like tigerboard getting all up in arms anytime someone mentioned Iowa.

i'm not arguing sos as much as they had room to play little ole slu without too much stress of giving up a valued home and away with someone else. they had a multitude of buy games they could have tossed and scheduled slu.

You're ultimately right, roy- but that sort of logic never stops. There's always a better game than the one you schedule. Theoretically you could only schedule games against top 20 teams, but then you'd be .500 or so at best and your team wouldn't be as fresh for the conference schedule. I applaud teams that schedule tougher games, but I recognize that buy games are a necessary evil for any school in the top 100.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm mining for a bid, looking for an opening, any place, no holds barred.

Mizzou has tanked. It would be the ultimate justice for SLU to take Mizzou's place.

not happening. and I'm glad you think that 22-10 and an NCAA tourney bid is a bad year for us, speaks to the respect we've gained :lol:

I mean this old argument has been made millions of times. If you feel that it's worth hating a team you don't play then by all means, do it. Just remember that it's very unusual, as most fans hate other teams that play their team. Missouri is easily the most hated team on this board for no apparent reason. It'd be like tigerboard getting all up in arms anytime someone mentioned Iowa.

Again, hate is a strong word.

I will tell you that I, for one, do not "hate" Mizzou. Good grief, my cousin went to Mizzou. Another cousin was a Priest at the Newman Center at Mizzou. My Mom's side is from Northeast Missouri. They all root for Mizzou.

But some of us root for SLU ahead of Mizzou.

As for your "no apparent reason," the reasons are obvious.

We are competing for the same media attention. We used to recruit the same players, although that usually is no longer the case.

Frankly, I want SLU to take Mizzou's NCAA bid, but that applies to the rest of the BCS pretenders too.

Again, hate is a strong word.

I will tell you that I, for one, do not "hate" Mizzou. Good grief, my cousin went to Mizzou. Another cousin was a Priest at the Newman Center at Mizzou. My Mom's side is from Northeast Missouri. They all root for Mizzou.

But some of us root for SLU ahead of Mizzou.

As for your "no apparent reason," the reasons are obvious.

We are competing for the same media attention. We used to recruit the same players, although that usually is no longer the case.

Frankly, I want SLU to take Mizzou's NCAA bid, but that applies to the rest of the BCS pretenders too.

It's funny how everyone here thinks that SLU's mediocre 1st half shouldn't be considered, but still not willing to consider that Mizzou's "body of work" is consistent with an NCAA bid, especially in a down year for the field.

It's funny how everyone here thinks that SLU's mediocre 1st half shouldn't be considered, but still not willing to consider that Mizzou's "body of work" is consistent with an NCAA bid, especially in a down year for the field.

I don't think one person is saying that the 1st half shouldn't be considered, but the 2nd half should be weighted more.

Some of us, like yours truly, are just stating SLU's case.

SLU does have a case, an argument to support an NCAA bid.

This whole process is an ad hoc process. That's exactly what the "eye test" is, a subjective point of view.

This year is convincing me that the NCAA should go to 96 teams. The NIT has become a joke this year.

There would still be debates with 96 teams, but at least a lot of these situations, where there is no real difference between these teams, would become moot. On the other hand, that would ruin some of the fun. After all, this is March Madness.

Some of us, like yours truly, are just stating SLU's case.

SLU does have a case, an argument to support an NCAA bid.

This whole process is an ad hoc process. That's exactly what the "eye test" is, a subjective point of view.

This year is convincing me that the NCAA should go to 96 teams. The NIT has become a joke this year.

There would still be debates with 96 teams, but at least a lot of these situations, where there is no real difference between these teams, would become moot. On the other hand, that would ruin some of the fun. After all, this is March Madness.

Yeah, going to 96 wouldn't make it as much fun watching the room full of athletes eating pizza with sweats on walk away devastated on live TV as their school name doesn't get called. And don't forget the madness of watching kids get their names called as they get selected. Pure chaos. I guess you would get both with 96, but I don't think it would be as intense.