Is it just me or was that last dunk completely crass

slu101

Was the dunk at the end classless?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Was the dunk at the end classless?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well and I disagree with you. BTW, nice job to completely twist what I said. I have no problem with the guy dunking, it was the way in which he did it that invites ridicule. Doing it with authority in the waning seconds when your team has gotten thumped, in my opinion just makes you look stupid. The same way when you see some football players thumping their chests in the fourth quarter for simply making a tackle when their team is down by four touchdowns. It just makes you look foolish. Just curious, what in the world are yout talking about Billiken fans drinking and curisng? Perhaps you should put down the bottle and get some sleep.

My comment about Billikens fans wasn't directed at you but just a cumulative response.

I guess you missed the thread about the fans audibly yelling Bull-(you know what) during the Xavier game.

I don't drink.

His coach was shaking Majerus' hand when this happened. I'd be furious at my player for doing that, but I guess I can see he was just having fun or whatever, but yeah, I thought it was classless.

In the end though I agree with Brian, who really cares? We got ourselves a huge game on wednesday.

Sigh! Whatever! I must harp on grammar a lot! <_<

Answer one question for me, please. Did you have any drinks at the game? If so, how much did you drink?

I'm not defending classlessness, because it wasn't classless. I will agree that any Duquesne players leaving the court prior to the final buzzer lacked class.

Now your last point is a really strange argument. Are you saying the player with the show boat dunk was not classless, yet the Duquesne players who were walking off the court to shake hands before the final buzzer lacked class? Do you watch many college basketball games? I think you have it backwards. If you watch other games, you will find that typically when a team has a double digit lead and the ball in the final seconds, where the shot clock is turned off, the opposing team will not try to steal the ball. In fact, they will often begin to shake hands before the final buzzer.

My comment about Billikens fans wasn't directed at you but just a cumulative response.

I guess you missed the thread about the fans audibly yelling Bull-(you know what) during the Xavier game.

I don't drink.

I am a Billikens fan who does not drink or curse. Not very smart to paint us all with such a broad brush.

check out the poll, Thicks. You're dead wrong. It was one of the most classless things I've witnessed at any level of basketball.

Let the votes be tallied first. Many regular posters won't vote until tomorrow or Monday.

And though I might have to concede that I'm in the minority, it doesn't make me wrong.

GoBills - I'm with you and Bonwich on this one for sure. The body language of DUQ was a collective, implicit concession of the game.

It happens all the time. As has already been pointed out, the baseball analogy doesn't fit b/c there is no chance to come back and win the game at this point. The Billikens are trying to end the game respectfully and DUQ appears on board with that. The guy "wakes up" and steals the ball (which is also different than grabbing a rebound and immediately taking it down for a dunk - our defense would not have let up totally in that situation) then takes it down for a circus dunk that he'd almost never pull in a regular game situation....

brutal...

He did it because he can dunk and because it is two more points that go on his stat sheet. Same reason JR Smith missed a layup against Utah a couple years back so he he could get his own rebound and have a triple double or the same reason Jerry Lucas would run like a madmen after a player shot a last second prayer so he could get another rebound. Basketball players are crass but this is normal and happens all the time. Nothing to get worked up about.

This whole thing was classless. Thicks you're not even a Billiken fan. Why are you here?

Classless move...no doubt. If Backhand was on the floor, there would have been a forearm shiver thrown.

Because you constantly refer to the Billikens as SLU, they, the Billikens instead of us or we. I don't have a fixation, I just don't think you should be a moderator.

I choose not to use "we" or "us" unless I'm referring to fans, because I didn't attend school at Saint Louis University and am not connected to the team in any way other than my being a fan. It's also partly because I'm also a fan of another team (and I don't use "us" or "we" with them, either). It's just a personal preference, and I don't think it diminishes the affection I have for the team. I'm mean, it's after 1 a.m., and I'm still on the board!

I doubt any middle manager is unanimously liked. If Steve were to decide he doesn't want me to be a moderator any longer, then I'd still post here and still post the same way, but without the administrative responsibilities. I'm not saying I don't want to be a moderator, but if he were to decide to go to a rotation, or something, it wouldn't bother me. I enjoy posting here and reading (I'm hooked!), and I'm not hung up on moderating. Actually it would be nice to be able to voice my opinion without other posters trying to hang the fact that I'm a moderator over my head every time they disagree with my opinion.

Why should they say something to him??? Do they want their players to just roll over? Compete until the buzzer sounds! Duquesne is not the kind of team to just quit.

Put it this way: If the Cardinals are playing the Pirates in Pittsburgh and trailing 12-1 with two outs and the bases empty, are you going to get ticked off because Albert Pujols hits a home run? Should he TRY to strike out or make an out?

No wonder Bernie Miklasz frequently puts Billikens fans down: many of them want high-major basketball to be like youth leagues!

What a terrible analogy! I cannot believe you used this scenario to back up your opinion.

A win in baseball is not contingent upon time. Your comparison is weak. Let me help you out.

It is the fourth quarter and the defensive team is down by five touchdowns with 10 seconds on the clock. The offensive team is going to take a knee. The ball is snapped; the linebacker barrels through the line and sacks the QB and recovers the fumble. The LB then proceeds to flip into the endzone for a TD. Is this being competitive? Should the QB have protected the ball better? Your thought process is a joke.

By the way, the rest of the team did cease to continue to compete. Don't you think if they were competing they would have been fouling us (especially considering we shoot terribly from the FT line)? Sorry but I think you will have to take a seat on this one.

What a terrible analogy! I cannot believe you used this scenario to back up your opinion.

A win in baseball is not contingent upon time. Your comparison is weak. Let me help you out.

It is the fourth quarter and the defensive team is down by five touchdowns with 10 seconds on the clock. The offensive team is going to take a knee. The ball is snapped; the linebacker barrels through the line and sacks the QB and recovers the fumble. The LB then proceeds to flip into the endzone for a TD. Is this being competitive? Should the QB have protected the ball better? Your thought process is a joke.

By the way, the rest of the team did cease to continue to compete. Don't you think if they were competing they would have been fouling us (especially considering we shoot terribly from the FT line)? Sorry but I think you will have to take a seat on this one.

I will not "take a seat," nor do I have to, as you claim.

Look: Was the play necessary? No. Didn't it do anything to change the outcome? No. Was it gratuitous stat-padding? Probably (I can't read the kid's mind). But I draw the line at making a value judgment in calling the play classless or crass. It's questioning the kid's morals because he took advantage of an opportunity to get a dunk in a sporting contest, and I don't think that's right. There are a whole lot of other things that are classless and crass. I don't know why some Billikens fans are making such a big deal about it.

I've said the last I'm going to say on this topic. Feel free to pound away at me if you wish.

I will not "take a seat," nor do I have to, as you claim.

Look: Was the play necessary? No. Didn't it do anything to change the outcome? No. Was it gratuitous stat-padding? Probably (I can't read the kid's mind). But I draw the line at making a value judgment in calling the play classless or crass. It's questioning the kid's morals because he took advantage of an opportunity to get a dunk in a sporting contest, and I don't think that's right. There are a whole lot of other things that are classless and crass. I don't know why some Billikens fans are making such a big deal about it.

I've said the last I'm going to say on this topic. Feel free to pound away at me if you wish.

Sounds like you are taking a seat. Good for you.