Willie Reed Postgame

Bill_Ken R

Just watched the postgame interviews for the X game. Willie did the postgame interview solo and really did a nice job as he has on previous occasions. He was very brave to face the media after his free throw shooting. He represents the university very well. I sometimes hear star athletes interviewed and think to myself that they surely are not college students but our kids are and they are top notch. Makes me proud and I am confident these kids are getting a good education that will serve them well in life. I took a guest last night who had been a season ticket holder for many years which ended with the move to Chaifetz. He had not been to a game since. At the beginning of the game he commented about how thin Willie was and by the end of the game was singing his praises but lamenting his free throw shooting. We didn't have this kind of talent or coaching the last time he saw a Billiken game. He went away impressed.

Just watched the postgame interviews for the X game. Willie did the postgame interview solo and really did a nice job as he has on previous occasions. He was very brave to face the media after his free throw shooting. He represents the university very well. I sometimes hear star athletes interviewed and think to myself that they surely are not college students but our kids are and they are top notch. Makes me proud and I am confident these kids are getting a good education that will serve them well in life. I took a guest last night who had been a season ticket holder for many years which ended with the move to Chaifetz. He had not been to a game since. At the beginning of the game he commented about how thin Willie was and by the end of the game was singing his praises but lamenting his free throw shooting. We didn't have this kind of talent or coaching the last time he saw a Billiken game. He went away impressed.

Any chance he'll return to being a season-ticket holder?

Any chance he'll return to being a season-ticket holder?

He really likes SLU; his daughter is a graduate; he owns a number of farm and home stores in St. Louis, Franklin, and Washington counties and could possbily come back to the fold but only if he got good seats; money was not the issue but rather the way the whole thing was handled when we moved to Chaifetz. I am doing a sales job on him and have also given him two tickets to the Temple game. Who could resist the Billikens when we are good?

Willie does represent the school well...agree 100%. Same with Cassity. Both very well spoken.

Willie is improving every game. He was terrific in the Xavier game. Add 20 pounds and a partner, Rob Loe, and next year will be special. Yes, we can start Loe, Reed and Ellis together and thrive.

We might not get Loe. So Ellis' toughness against big men like Xavier has will have to improve. I think it will.

He really likes SLU; his daughter is a graduate; he owns a number of farm and home stores in St. Louis, Franklin, and Washington counties and could possbily come back to the fold but only if he got good seats; money was not the issue but rather the way the whole thing was handled when we moved to Chaifetz. I am doing a sales job on him and have also given him two tickets to the Temple game. Who could resist the Billikens when we are good?

First of all Bill_Ken R, thanks for recruiting someone to be a season ticket holder. When SLU developed this arena, I really thought it would sell out every night. If we have more people like you and more people who support our University and team by purchasing season tickets and donating to the Billiken Club we will be on to something specials.

Secondly, I think Willie has great character. I have never met the man but the way he conducts himself is conducive of the type of athelete we want at SLU. Willie will work on his free throws and I guarantee that before he leaves we will win a big game because of Willie's free throws!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Guest BillikenReport

One of the things Willie talked about after the game was that playing against a team like Xavier and a guy like Jason Love motivates him to get in the weight room and get bigger and stronger.

That was good to hear.

Also, before the game on the radio, Porter said Willie weighed in at 215 pounds. So Willie is getting there gradually with improving his weight and strength, but he has to keep working at it.

Guest BillikenReport

WR is definitely a classy kid with a good head on his shoulders.

You can say that about any of the players on the team.

I don't think Majerus gets enough credit for the kind of student-athletes he and his coaching staff have recruited to SLU.

You can say that about any of the players on the team.

I don't think Majerus gets enough credit for the kind of student-athletes he and his coaching staff have recruited to SLU.

You are absolutely right. With the glaring exception of Cotto, every player RM has recruited seems to have class and is likely a good student. I know a few regulars on this Board think I'm too negative regarding the Rick, and I do find some of his actions to bepoorly thought out, BUT on the whole I am a big RM fan. I like his recruiting (quality of person and player) and I like his coaching. I'm just sorry that we probably can't count on him being here for the long term but am enjoying the ride while he's here.

Unlike my friend BROY, I agree with his recruiting over players IF he has made that possibility clear to the recruits he signs. For example, if all current players want to return we have no more scholarships to give for next year. However, if Loe is as good as advertised how could we not take the chance to make a major upgrade to our talent level. Not to name names, but don't we all have a couple of players in mind that we would be willing to encourage to move to a school where they could get more PT if that would allow us to sign Loe? I think the big man is doing all the things required to get us into the Top-40 ballpark every year. I guess I'll just need to learn to live with his "faults."

You are absolutely right. With the glaring exception of Cotto, every player RM has recruited seems to have class and is likely a good student. I know a few regulars on this Board think I'm too negative regarding the Rick, and I do find some of his actions to bepoorly thought out, BUT on the whole I am a big RM fan. I like his recruiting (quality of person and player) and I like his coaching. I'm just sorry that we probably can't count on him being here for the long term but am enjoying the ride while he's here.

Unlike my friend BROY, I agree with his recruiting over players IF he has made that possibility clear to the recruits he signs. For example, if all current players want to return we have no more scholarships to give for next year. However, if Loe is as good as advertised how could we not take the chance to make a major upgrade to our talent level. Not to name names, but don't we all have a couple of players in mind that we would be willing to encourage to move to a school where they could get more PT if that would allow us to sign Loe? I think the big man is doing all the things required to get us into the Top-40 ballpark every year. I guess I'll just need to learn to live with his "faults."

I've wondered about this whole "recruit over" thing for quite a while. On a broad basis, I've always considered an athletic scholarship to be an implicit agreement for a four-year full ride. But aren't there also some implicit conditions of minimum performance? Can't someone be cut from a team?

Virtually every scholarship I ever had (save the one that would have required me to emancipate myself from my dad) required a minimum gradepoint -- usually 3.0, but in one case, either 3.4 or 3.5, which was reasonably scary. But that was for a superior program at a top-20 (maybe even top-10) school.

Excel or get out of the way. Hmmm. Perhaps it's because we've just never been in a similar (not simply needing warm bodies) situation before -- and perhaps I'm coming over to the Dark Side.