Schollie Still Available?

Zink

Heard a rumor that Dwayne Evans will be going here as a walk-on with an academic scholarship. Has anyone heard something similar to this? It would make sense, as we always hear about how great of a student he is. Also, his sister went to WashU and that's a bit pricey especially with no athletic scholarships at that level. Maybe his parents are willing to pony up a little extra for him to go to SLU? Also, this makes the ongoing recruitment of Loe make quite a bit more sense, as no one would be losing a scholarship as a result of his presence here at SLU.

Heard a rumor that Dwayne Evans will be going here as a walk-on with an academic scholarship. Has anyone heard something similar to this? It would make sense, as we always hear about how great of a student he is. Also, his sister went to WashU and that's a bit pricey especially with no athletic scholarships at that level. Maybe his parents are willing to pony up a little extra for him to go to SLU? Also, this makes the ongoing recruitment of Loe make quite a bit more sense, as no one would be losing a scholarship as a result of his presence here at SLU.

I dont like this, the kid has earned a scholarship, give it to him.

Highly doubt it. The NCAA is very strict about making sure schools don't bend the rules to get around scholarship restrictions and once he signed a LOI any chances of giving him an academic scholarship and walking on went out the door.

If Loe or anyone else ends up being a Billiken it will almost certainly be because a current scholarship player leaves the program...for whatever reason.

Highly doubt it. The NCAA is very strict about making sure schools don't bend the rules to get around scholarship restrictions and once he signed a LOI any chances of giving him an academic scholarship and walking on went out the door.

If Loe or anyone else ends up being a Billiken it will almost certainly be because a current scholarship player leaves the program...for whatever reason.

Alright, thanks for the info... I don't know much about NCAA rules, but this did seem a little too good to be true. Darn.

I haven't heard this rumor, but I believe one or both of Evans parents are college professors. He scored over a 30 on his ACT and most universities have some kind of tuition remission/exchange with other institutions. Putting 2 and 2 together, it could be possible that he could have his tuition covered by a combination of academic scholarships and tuition remission arrangements.

I haven't heard this rumor, but I believe one or both of Evans parents are college professors. He scored over a 30 on his ACT and most universities have some kind of tuition remission/exchange with other institutions. Putting 2 and 2 together, it could be possible that he could have his tuition covered by a combination of academic scholarships and tuition remission arrangements.

Both teams: SLU and RI dressed ten players tonight. One was our walk on. If Femi, JR, and PE can't play anymore I don't see why we have a scholarship problem for the two Chicago kids and if we sign Loe or another player. This is not your Bill's of yesteryear

-he signed a nli, i would guess this figures into this scenario somehow

-he signed a nli, i would guess this figures into this scenario somehow

My understanding is that you have to demonstrate to the NCAA that a player would reasonable qualify for the academic scholarships regardless of his athletic situation. The professor exchange is purely objective and therefore not open to challenge. Likewise, a kid with a 31 or 32 on his ACT would probably at least qualify for the entry level academic scholarship.

My understanding is that you have to demonstrate to the NCAA that a player would reasonable qualify for the academic scholarships regardless of his athletic situation. The professor exchange is purely objective and therefore not open to challenge. Likewise, a kid with a 31 or 32 on his ACT would probably at least qualify for the entry level academic scholarship.

so what does signing the nli actually entail? as far as i know, that just means he commits to play here. scholarships are handled separately (so says my friend who was on the cc team and went through all of this). so hypothetically, he could pull an eckerle and come here, intent on paying his own way (plus academic scholarships, tuition remission, etc.) from the get go without an athletic scholarship. is there some flaw in this line of reasoning that i remain oblivious to? if so, any explanation would be much appreciated...

so what does signing the nli actually entail? as far as i know, that just means he commits to play here. scholarships are handled separately (so says my friend who was on the cc team and went through all of this). so hypothetically, he could pull an eckerle and come here, intent on paying his own way (plus academic scholarships, tuition remission, etc.) from the get go without an athletic scholarship. is there some flaw in this line of reasoning that i remain oblivious to? if so, any explanation would be much appreciated...

I wouldn't think this is the forum to be discussing young Mr. Evans scholie. RM will work all this out... let's just hope Loe comes to SLU. To close the deal on Loe, I'd suggest we get him up here again the weekend Jimbo's in town so he could show him around. That would clinch the deal.

if he isnt a presidential scholarship winner (which i doubt has been announced yet), he cant have a full tution ride for academics and play on the basketball team. the ncaa would crucify us for that imo.

if he isnt a presidential scholarship winner (which i doubt has been announced yet), he cant have a full tution ride for academics and play on the basketball team. the ncaa would crucify us for that imo.

You always act like a Presidential Scholarship is IMPOSSIBLE to get. Why would he be out of the question?

Say he has a 4.0

We already know he scored a 31 on his ACT and is signed to play D1 basketball. Sounds like an impressive kid.

Btw, I know at least 5 prez schollie winners. Smart kids, but they aren't all Einstein.

You always act like a Presidential Scholarship is IMPOSSIBLE to get. Why would he be out of the question?

Say he has a 4.0

We already know he scored a 31 on his ACT and is signed to play D1 basketball. Sounds like an impressive kid.

Btw, I know at least 5 prez schollie winners. Smart kids, but they aren't all Einstein.

first numbers. slu will probably interview about 400 kids out of a few thousand presidential scholarship applicants on any given year for the finalists. from that they will select less than 100 and maybe as few as 30 each year to win the award.

after they win the award, they are not only students, they become ambassadors for the university attending events and serving as hosts and assistants for many slu events throughout the year. plus they will be expected to maintain the level of academic achievement that they experienced coming into slu while at slu.

now think about those kids you know. how articulate are they? how outgoing? how much service work have they done on their own time? how many activities were they involved in high school? were they leaders? did they hold jobs? what were their act/sat scores? what were their gpa's?

the total package of a slu presidential scholar is beyond amazing. it isnt all academics. it is far more than that.

academically, 31 on the ACT is probably on the low side, and i would venture to guess that 4.0 is probably slightly above average (on a 4.0 scale!)

sorry, i have been on both sides of the fence for the slu presidential scholars (my daughter was a finalist with her 5.0 gpa and 33 ACT and an amazing resume beyond academics and didnt make it) as both a parent and an interviewer. you are so wrong on down playing the slu presidential scholars.

second the reason i bring it up is that the slu presidential scholarship is the only 100% tuition paid scholarship beyond academics that SLU awards that i am aware of. thus, if the the student in question wouldnt have qualified for that award, to then be given any sort of free ride would undoubtedly raise the eyebrows of the ncaa. guaranteed.

sorry, you are totally misjudging your friends. but judging by the presidential scholars that i have been in contact with that doesnt surprise me that you dont realize the resume those kids have. they are typically very unassuming and within themselves and would never present an air of pretension. that is another trait that most of those kids possess.

second the reason i bring it up is that the slu presidential scholarship is the only 100% tuition paid scholarship beyond academics that SLU awards. thus, if the the student in question wouldnt have qualified for that award, to then be given any sort of free ride would undoubtedly raise the eyebrows of the ncaa. guaranteed.

Perhaps the professor tuition exchange idea that Nark brought up has some legs?

Based on past discussions though, it doesn't sound like Evans would enjoy all the benefits of being a D-1 player if he didn't have an athletic scholarship. Maybe I'm stating this last part incorrectly, but that's what I recall from the discussions on the board.

Perhaps the professor tuition exchange idea that Nark brought up has some legs?

Based on past discussions though, it doesn't sound like Evans would enjoy all the benefits of being a D-1 player if he didn't have an athletic scholarship. Maybe I'm stating this last part incorrectly, but that's what I recall from the discussions on the board.

i believe that is correct. i think the offseason basketball program would be out and things like summer trips. that may have changed, but i recall both romar and soderberg bringing that up at billiken club meetings.