Majerus Story on ESPN.COM

Postcard

Majerus forced to fly commercial, and he's not happy

February, 2, 2010 Feb 21:45PM ETEmail Print Share By Eamonn BrennanRick Majerus is mad as -- well, you know -- and he's not going to take it anymore.

Apparently, Majerus does a weekly radio show every Monday night for St. Louis radio station WXOS, the same station that airs the Billikens' games. Only Monday night, Majerus didn't show up, citing game preparation and charity work as reasons why he couldn't make the broadcast. The only problem with that excuse? Majerus called in and did a 45-minute interview on WGN in Chicago. This has St. Louis fans and media, um, intrigued:

The flap caused by St. Louis University men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus abandoning his local radio show has led to wild speculation in the local media and among fans as to the reason. Theories range from the thought he might be campaigning for the DePaul coaching job to the belief that he’s protesting the SLU administration’s recent decision to drop charter flights for the team in favor of commercial travel. [...] The peculiar transpirings have led to a bevy of talk in the media and online.

This is a week after Majerus announced he wanted to stop doing the radio show, proposing a name change to "The Billikens Show." Most are pegging the cause of Majerus' behavior to SLU's decision to cut charter flights for Majerus, instead forcing the coach to fly commercial. That sounds about right:

"My greatest concern is for my own players academically,’’ he told Ramsey. "Now with this travel schedule, there’s just absolutely no way. You’ve got to get to the airport two (or) 2 1/2 hours early. You’ve got to take early flights. A lot of these places, there’s only one nonstop flight.’’

Waiting for a plane? No non-stop flights? Sitting with ... strangers? Gasp! Positively barbaric! (Barbaric. BARBARIC!)

This isn't the first time Majerus has openly complained about his life at SLU. A few weeks ago, Majerus told media he thought St. Louis' conference affiliation was bad for his team's academics; the long flights to the East Coast to play fellow A-10 teams kept his kids out of the classroom for too long. Majerus was pretty open: He wants to be in the Missouri Valley.

Whatever the fringe concerns, Majerus is getting slightly restless at St. Louis, and all this travel seems to be the reason why. Let's hope Rick's at least flying first-class. Coach can drive sane men to do terrible things, and Majerus is already plenty agitated.

I see that ESPN also requires its reporters to have first-hand information. (Didn't Rick used to work for ESPN? Don't you suppose they might even have his cell phone number?)

I heard RM ate a whole fish. What does that mean?

This is a rumor "Billiken.com Main Board" it must be true it has been repeated. RM is only going to play Catholic schools that allow women the right

to choose. RM would rather bus nine hours to Wichita and Omaha than fly to NY, Philly, or Pittsburgh?

I'd be pissed if My agent did not have team travel spelled out in the contract-but somehow I just can't buy into this. I think this is all rumor by people

who can't comprehend that playing X, Temple, etc. is infintely better and until RM is crowned coach of the year in th A-10 we are staying put. No reason

to drop down 3 or 4 slots in the ranking in order to gain an automatic berth every year

I heard RM ate a whole fish. What does that mean?

This is a rumor "Billiken.com Main Board" it must be true it has been repeated. RM is only going to play Catholic schools that allow women the right

to choose. RM would rather bus nine hours to Wichita and Omaha than fly to NY, Philly, or Pittsburgh?

I'd be pissed if My agent did not have team travel spelled out in the contract-but somehow I just can't buy into this. I think this is all rumor by people

who can't comprehend that playing X, Temple, etc. is infintely better and until RM is crowned coach of the year in th A-10 we are staying put. No reason

to drop down 3 or 4 slots in the ranking in order to gain an automatic berth every year

YES! This media attention is just awesome!!!! Regardless of how it got here, this is awesome and no comment from RM or May to refute it if it is just hearsay. There must be something to it. I bet the players are loving all this attention and I am sure this is no distraction for these guys at all.

Maybe if it keeps getting brought up, the players will actually realize that the extended travel will in fact affect their play. Oh, and their grades.

YES! This media attention is just awesome!!!! Regardless of how it got here, this is awesome and no comment from RM or May to refute it if it is just hearsay. There must be something to it. I bet the players are loving all this attention and I am sure this is no distraction for these guys at all.

Maybe if it keeps getting brought up, the players will actually realize that the extended travel will in fact affect their play. Oh, and their grades.

I think espn.com people read this board. Any single poster can just make anything up and then it is the "fans" who are speaking. I would hate to have Big Brother on this board, but it might be better than the speculation about the Depaul coaching vacancy which I really only read on this board.

And then of course people like Volfan who say the coach will resign by the end of month, etc...

Or maybe all message boards are like that...

This story is hilarious. An ESPNU blog that links to another ESPNU blog for validation only otherwise provided by a St. Louis media that is upset and out to nail the coach of Saint Louis University.

So far, not a single official accreditation of anything. I'm all for the social media networking thing but this is a prime example of why it can't be trusted. A shitstorm of speculation being raised, based on initial speculation, some of which came from this board, and even me. Yet one can't fathom what one knows because no one really knows what they know.

Welcome to the new age media.

This story is hilarious. An ESPNU blog that links to another ESPNU blog for validation only otherwise provided by a St. Louis media that is upset and out to nail the coach of Saint Louis University.

So far, not a single official accreditation of anything. I'm all for the social media networking thing but this is a prime example of why it can't be trusted. A shitstorm of speculation being raised, based on initial speculation, some of which came from this board, and even me. Yet one can't fathom what one knows because no one really knows what they know.

Welcome to the new age media.

The AD needs to step up and address the rumors. Certainly, the AD doesn't have to address all rumors but when they linger and make the national media, it should be addressed and put to rest once and for all.

There's no such thing as bad press....right?

MAJERUS bringing the national media attention to SLU. Just wait until we have a winning team this media attention is coming to a team that probably won't make the NIT.

He's probably saving his best material for when we get a winning team.

I also heard that Majerus took some TARP money. He has yet to payback the American taxpayers he's just a fat-cat eating a whole fish up to four times a day while others struggle to put food on the table. He also gets huge bonuses.

The AD needs to step up and address the rumors. Certainly, the AD doesn't have to address all rumors but when they linger and make the national media, it should be addressed and put to rest once and for all.

His silence tells me that Biondi-May-SLU reneged on promise to use charter flights for the team.