Our Offense

kmbilliken

Would anyone care to explain the purpose of our offense?

All I see is high screens set by our bigs for our guards. The result of these is usually jus a pass to another perimeter player who is neither open nor capable of taking his man off the dribble. It doesn't seem our personel is suited for this offense. I guess the hope is for quick ball reversal to create an opening, but our guys don't seem quick enough to get it done.

I quess I could start a thread on our defense too. Why not switch to a zone when they're chewing up our man to man?

Would anyone care to explain the purpose of our offense?

All I see is high screens set by our bigs for our guards. The result of these is usually jus a pass to another perimeter player who is neither open nor capable of taking his man off the dribble. It doesn't seem our personel is suited for this offense. I guess the hope is for quick ball reversal to create an opening, but our guys don't seem quick enough to get it done.

I quess I could start a thread on our defense too. Why not switch to a zone when they're chewing up our man to man?

I would equate our offense with Bigfoot, UFOs, and vampires. No one has every REALLY seen it, but yet we cannot prove that it doesn't exist.

I would equate our offense with Bigfoot, UFOs, and vampires. No one has every REALLY seen it, but yet we cannot prove that it doesn't exist.

totally agree even Ellis passes up shot after shot as they fear getting blocking shooting behind a pick; they roll off or the picker rolls off and they dribble to

the other side. We are not quick enough or determined to take that three point shot. I would agree from an earlier thread that we need some j's from

12-15 feet to keep the defence honest. Also our picks or too narrow and hunched over to keep the defender at bay

Majerus is not what one would call an offensive innovator in college basketball. Even his Utah teams threw up some stinkers.

He has become a HOF coach because he does other things well. With Majerus we are never going to be an offensive juggernaut. Just they way his teams play.

I'm not really complaining. With Majerus when it is good it is really good, when it is bad it is really really bad.

With Majerus when it is good it is really good, when it is bad it is really really bad.

That is probably something that I need to accept, but have a hard time given the way he runs his mouth. I accepted a lot of Brad's shortcomings because he was a great guy and really meant well. Sometimes I am not so sure what Majerus' true intentions are.

That is probably something that I need to accept, but have a hard time given the way he runs his mouth. I accepted a lot of Brad's shortcomings because he was a great guy and really meant well. Sometimes I am not so sure what Majerus' true intentions are.

The difference thus far is recruiting. Soderberg could win with this team. He just couldn't recruit it.

Majerus has a good foundation. We are missing a couple pieces. When our 2 & 3 are as good as our 1,4 & 5 and just a little more depth we'll still have games with offensive droughts but we will make the NCAA tourney. Majerus is very close. Closer than I thought he would be at this point.

The difference thus far is recruiting. Soderberg could win with this team. He just couldn't recruit it.

Majerus has a good foundation. We are missing a couple pieces. When our 2 & 3 are as good as our 1,4 & 5 and just a little more depth we'll still have games with offensive droughts but we will make the NCAA tourney. Majerus is very close. Closer than I thought he would be at this point.

RM is winning with the team. UB wouldn't have a better record.

RM is winning with the team. UB wouldn't have a better record.

Agree. I saw more standing around on Saturday than in the games I"ve seen on the web. I did get to see the GA game as well. Both RU and GA have pretty quick players that gives us trouble. KM can penetrate but who's open for him to throw the ball to? What I don't see are guys setting picks away from the ball that could create a man getting free for a backdoor shot. RU had a couple of those. And to WR, he'd better develop some moves if he's going to take 4 seconds to shoot the ball once he gets it, or just take it to the hoop. At least you've got a chance of picking up a foul..

Remind me again: who is so great on our team at the 5? A 6'11" weighing in at 220 lbs and getting pushed all around the paint?

I think this is where we miss Jeff Reid. He would have developed nicely by now. Hope he recovers and is in a Bills uniform for the next 4 years. Get better Jeff!

Agree, good assessment.

Some other posters are brutal, do not understand what is going on. To those, I say, "get off Majerus back"... we are on the right course.

My main issue with our offense is that we rely on the 3 ball to much , thay have been 34% of our FG attempts to date, hence the very low trips to the FT line , we need a mid range offence living by the 3 ball is killing us, having a mid range creates many more opportunities for other players has defenses in 2 minds majority of the time at the moment opposition coaches need to worry about 2 things close out on the 3 ball and double team the post when he receives the ball. Richmond done this well last game, I was always taught you must keep all 5 defensive players guessing and on their toes the whole game at the moment most teams know its either the 3 ball or to the post.

CE has turned up a good strong body good hands good vision and passing and has had more 3 ball attempts than any other shot needs to play more inside and go to the basket hard which also increases the opportunity for the 3pt play i agree he can step out and hit the 3 but i think he would be more efficient playing inside a lot more which would free up WR & BC alot more aswell drawing double teams

Our guards need to attack the middle alot more especially

CS he has a good mid J and is athletic enough to get there especially to the FT line as he has shown in glimpses . would also help his confidence to step out and hit a confident 3 ball not a nervous 1 hence the 2 airballs in 2 games ,confidence is so easy to lose but so tough to regain .

KM needs to work on his pull up j in stead of trying to get all the way to the rack and getting a beating especially on road games , this would also create more assist opportunities to our bigs especially for the JS dunk especially if the weak side defense tries to cover ,it creates options which at the moment we do not have .

KC the same needs to get mid range he has a good j shot, for a player that spends 30min per game on the court has had only 13 FT attempts this season

JJ was getting in mid range earlier on, he is quick and he could do alot of damage with his pull up J or dish .

Other players would benefit from a mid range offense and our FG % better than it is now ,i believe the games we have lost in O/T would have never gone in O/T at all but a W for SLU great example was the loss at GW late second half and OT

Remind me again: who is so great on our team at the 5? A 6'11" weighing in at 220 lbs and getting pushed all around the paint?

Reed has outplayed most of his opposing centers. He has weaknesses but in our league there are probably 2 teams who wouldn't trade their big man for Willie.

until RM has him announced as a 5 we should consider him a 4

I havent seen him play 4 once this year. Has RM declared anyone as anything? Maybe KM or something, but Willie has been a 5 every game in his career at SLU.