Darren Young

bsheldon

He seemed to have very good ball control and made a few chrisp passes. Looked like everyone wanted him to shoot but he didn,t get a lot of open looks, so he didn't force it. Thought he had at least one chance to drive the lane but passed it up. If he continues to walk on for the next three years he will enjoy the ride. :lol:

He seemed to have very good ball control and made a few chrisp passes. Looked like everyone wanted him to shoot but he didn,t get a lot of open looks, so he didn't force it. Thought he had at least one chance to drive the lane but passed it up. If he continues to walk on for the next three years he will enjoy the ride. :lol:

And get his name on his shirt?

you dont really see walk-ons with there names on their jersey.

Ok, I'll go along with that, however, if he is back next year his jersey should have his name on it. He will have earned it.

you dont really see walk-ons with there names on their jersey.

Is there any reason why? It seems like that would be cheap--Heck they are already giving $40,000ish to the scholarship players we can't buck up the $10 to get his name put on the jersey for a kid that is working just as hard as the rest of the team? I don't know it just seems poor taste. I heard it commented on in the stands by a couple of people.

Is there any reason why? It seems like that would be cheap--Heck they are already giving $40,000ish to the scholarship players we can't buck up the $10 to get his name put on the jersey for a kid that is working just as hard as the rest of the team? I don't know it just seems poor taste. I heard it commented on in the stands by a couple of people.

Just trust me. It's actually quite difficult. If you really want to know PM me.

im sure it has something to do with ordering the jerseys. Like JJ didnt have his name on his jersey for awhile cause he was a late signee. The walk ons make the team even later then that so you would have to order another jersey. I mean im nearly certain Fordham's walk-on didn't have a name on his jersey last night. I have never seen a walk-on with their name on the jersey.

im sure it has something to do with ordering the jerseys. Like JJ didnt have his name on his jersey for awhile cause he was a late signee. The walk ons make the team even later then that so you would have to order another jersey. I mean im nearly certain Fordham's walk-on didn't have a name on his jersey last night. I have never seen a walk-on with their name on the jersey.

THANK YOU!

walk-ons are also prone to quitting during the season. On of the walk-ons in the Diener Years of Marquette quit during halftime of a game cause Crean yelled at him cause Diener was playing so poorly and Crean told him he wasnt working Diener hard enough during practice.

Look, I am, like all others, a huge fan of walk-ons. Our very own RickMa was a walk-on for AL MCguire at Marquette. BUt there are just logistical reasons behind it. I stayed late after the game waiting for a friend to finish working at Chaifetz and Darren was near the end of the tunnel talking to his friends/family. He couldnt have seemed happier. Im sure he doesnt worry about it.

The only time ive seen a walkon with a name on the jersey was a Senior Night at Marquette when all the Seniors got a framed jersey and the 4-year walkon got one as well. Thats it.

walk-ons are also prone to quitting during the season. On of the walk-ons in the Diener Years of Marquette quit during halftime of a game cause Crean yelled at him cause Diener was playing so poorly and Crean told him he wasnt working Diener hard enough during practice.

Look, I am, like all others, a huge fan of walk-ons. Our very own RickMa was a walk-on for AL MCguire at Marquette. BUt there are just logistical reasons behind it. I stayed late after the game waiting for a friend to finish working at Chaifetz and Darren was near the end of the tunnel talking to his friends/family. He couldnt have seemed happier. Im sure he doesnt worry about it.

The only time ive seen a walkon with a name on the jersey was a Senior Night at Marquette when all the Seniors got a framed jersey and the 4-year walkon got one as well. Thats it.

I am sure Young could care less and maybe that is a whole other issue (having walk ons that are just happy to be there, not saying this is the case here). I just don't see your logistical reasons even if the kid was to quit or not be back next year. His hard work is not worth a jersey? I am done beating this thing up but it really pisses me off.

I can guarantee that this is the reason he doesn't have a name on it. It's not a matter of disrespect to the walk-ons or a preventative move because walk-ons don't always play more than a year. The jerseys for our scholarship players have been ordered and embroidered by the time walk-on tryouts have been held. There are always extra uniforms with the school name and numbers made up ahead of time as walk-on uniforms and blood jerseys.

For that reason, the walk-ons wear game jerseys that might not fit perfectly and might not have their names until the assistant in charge of uniforms gets around to ordering them- sometimes this is a matter of days or a couple weeks, sometimes it's months, sometimes it never happens.

I can guarantee that this is the reason he doesn't have a name on it. It's not a matter of disrespect to the walk-ons or a preventative move because walk-ons don't always play more than a year. The jerseys for our scholarship players have been ordered and embroidered by the time walk-on tryouts have been held. There are always extra uniforms with the school name and numbers made up ahead of time as walk-on uniforms and blood jerseys.

For that reason, the walk-ons wear game jerseys that might not fit perfectly and might not have their names until the assistant in charge of uniforms gets around to ordering them- sometimes this is a matter of days or a couple weeks, sometimes it's months, sometimes it never happens.

I would buy that if Cody Ellis was still wearing a generic Jersey, but he had his name on his a few days after his plane landed. Plus i guarantee that I (or anyone capable of using a search engine or even opening a phone book) can find someone to put his name on jersey in a matter of hours. If that truly is the reason, it is pretty lame.

I am sure Darren was thrilled and could probably care less, but it just looked bad--especially to a couple of guys that i brought to their first Billikens game who are huge Mizzou fans and I have been trying to tell them that we are not a second rate program, and then, bam, a guy steps on to the court in a jersey that could be bought in the fan store. Again, I personally don't think it matters one bit, but it is just a bit odd and there has to be a real reason besides we couldn't get it made or ordered or some other lame excuse. It might actually be a rule of some sort--if it is that is what it is, I would like to know.

I would buy that if Cody Ellis was still wearing a generic Jersey, but he had his name on his a few days after his plane landed. Plus i guarantee that I (or anyone capable of using a search engine or even opening a phone book) can find someone to put his name on jersey in a matter of hours. If that truly is the reason, it is pretty lame.

You are kidding right? We knew Cody was playing for us a year ago! It doesn't matter when he got here. They ordered his jersey with the rest of the team.

You are kidding right? We knew Cody was playing for us a year ago! It doesn't matter when he got here. They ordered his jersey with the rest of the team.

So how many months does Darren have to be on the team until he a jersey with his name on it? He has been in all the team literature since the beginning of the season--unlike Cody. Again, not getting a jersey ordered or not "being able to" doesn't really hold water as a reason. There are numerous screening places in St Louis alone to get a name put on a jersey. Is there a real reason or rule that anyone knows of as to why he doesn't? If we don't know we don't know.

You got my PM. The ending to that pm is that its not worth it. By the time we get his name on the jersey the season will be over and he might not play next year.

Fair enough. I understand things take time and have to go through proper channels for $$ and also branding and liscencing issues, but it is still a bummer that he was singled-out and excluded. He works just as hard as everyone else--perhaps harder in the early going just to ensure a spot on the team, and I for one feel he should have just as official jersey as the rest of the team--complete with his name on the back.

I am sure Darren was thrilled and could probably care less, but it just looked bad--especially to a couple of guys that i brought to their first Billikens game who are huge Mizzou fans and I have been trying to tell them that we are not a second rate program, and then, bam, a guy steps on to the court in a jersey that could be bought in the fan store. Again, I personally don't think it matters one bit, but it is just a bit odd and there has to be a real reason besides we couldn't get it made or ordered or some other lame excuse. It might actually be a rule of some sort--if it is that is what it is, I would like to know.

My guess is in CE's case the jersey was ordered when all the others were - if you go back and look at the roster, he was always listed as on the team even though he was not here.