Cody Ellis

Iggy

Understood. Good points. As I tried to mention, not really directing all my comments at you in particular. We all want CE (and/or someone else) to really step up and take us to heights we have not seen in years and/or surpass them.

Still, I'm shaking my head abit. Why the extremely low expectation from this Board as a whole? IMO, RM wants to caution us not to expect CE to immediately become the team leader and put up 20 ppg or more. While I am not comparing CE to Hughes, such a comparison would truly be unrealistic and, IMO, is what RM is cautioning us from. At the same time, I don't understand why so many think CE may have had his best game of the year? Other teams will scout him, and the implication that his points will become more difficult? CE won't average his same points the rest of the year? Why not??

When the game was on the line, CE was in the game. BC was not. If CE gets more comfortable with RM and the team and gets his legs under him, then 3 of those same 5 attempts at 3 pt will fall, and CE scores 9 ppg from the 3 pt line (not 3 ppg). Same with his FT's (and with extra attempts), CE scores 6 or 7 ppg from the line (not 3).

I know ... I know... we Billiken fans cannot get excited b/c something negative will surely happen.... but I, for one, truly expect CE to play 20 minutes per game and to score 10 - 15 ppg. Some games he will get 20 points!!

I am still shaking my head at how people expect so much from him. He scored ten points in his first game, a good feat. But, what has given us the expectation that he will be so good. Rick has said he will be the same level player as Willie and Kwa, but none of us had this high of expectations from either of them. Cody will probably be a good player, but I don't think he is all the way there yet.

Seriously, other than a good stroke and some savvy, what did Cody really show on saturday. Yes, I know it was his first game and I think he did all that could be expected coming off of five practices, but it's gonna take a lot of time for him to get there. I have been reading billikens.com for close to four years, and I have never, ever seen a recruit with so much hype coming in, and for what reason?

I would love it if someone could explain this more thoroughly because I do not quite understand.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still shaking my head at how people expect so much from him. He scored ten points in his first game, a good feat. But, what has given us the expectation that he will be so good. Rick has said he will be the same level player as Willie and Kwa, but none of us had this high of expectations from either of them. Cody will probably be a good player, but I don't think he is all the way there yet.

Seriously, other than a good stroke and some savvy, what did Cody really show on saturday. Yes, I know it was his first game and I think he did all that could be expected coming off of five practices, but it's gonna take a lot of time for him to get there. I have been reading billikens.com for close to four years, and I have never, ever seen a recruit with so much hype coming in, and for what reason?

I would love it if someone could explain this more thoroughly because I do not quite understand.

NH.

Good questions. IMO, though, CE is unlike any Billiken recruit I have ever seen or read about in the 30 years I've been following the Bills. I say that b/c CE has actually played more post-high school/International competition. Further, not only did he play such competition but he did quite well and was even the captain of his team. 3rd best in the entire country of basketball popular Austrailia. Such competition is much closer to NCAA D1 competition than high school or even AAU ball. All D1 scholarship kids were the stars in high school. High school stats and AAU stats don't necessarily translate to immediate D1 college ball.

Also, CE is a year older than the average Freshman. In fact, he is now the same age as WR and KM who are both performing quite well - even better than last year. Also, CE's year at AIS is somewhat the equivalent of a select or AAU team rather than your typical highschool team. Son of a former professional player. 6'8" "fleshy" kid who can shoot the 3 pointer. RM's comments about him being the second best player on the team.

All of the above is what gives the reason to be optomistic and to have high expectations - even though they have been tempered b/c of his late start and being thrust into an unfamiliar situation.....

As to his play in last week's game, though, you're right. Other than he did not look lost, he showed savvy and a good stroke, you're right, there is not that much in those 23 minutes which would create such expectations. Without diminishing the fact that RM's played CE when the game was on the line and that CE came thru under pressure to hit the big FTs and grab the defensive rebound to seal the game, what we all saw against Richmond, alone, is not what gives me such expectations. It's all the other things as well.

I was most impressed with how well he fit in and the way the offense seemed to flow when he was out there. It is the little things like passing and blocking out that impressed me the most. I'm not worried at all about his shooting. It looks good. The free throws and 3-pointers will be there. He probably just didn't have his legs.

-i still believe your expectations were too lofty and believe the coach was trying to avoid having people put the weight of the program on CE

-i hope CE is the second coming, but i won't be disppointed if he doesn't set the world on fire right away and in every game

-CE had great game by my measuring

-more hope, i hope he never has a bad game, but it will be interesting to see if you revisit this if he does - this was one game

-btw, i only used one :lol:

Well, I am happy to "revisit" this subject again after game 2. The most minutes of any big and a double-double. Do you still believe my expectations... that Cody would be immediately better than CR and JS... were too "lofty"?

Well, I am happy to "revisit" this subject again after game 2. The most minutes of any big and a double-double. Do you still believe my expectations... that Cody would be immediately better than CR and JS... were too "lofty"?

It did not take much to be better than they are at the present. He is and will probably be a more complete player than either of them although they will at some time develop into very good players. He is also better than BC.

Talent aside, I like what CE has brought in only two games as a calming presence. I think it was mentioned before but the kid obviously has the marbles to take a big shot when the game is on the line. I hope this wears off on some of the other guys.

Talent aside, I like what CE has brought in only two games as a calming presence. I think it was mentioned before but the kid obviously has the marbles to take a big shot when the game is on the line. I hope this wears off on some of the other guys.

Also, when you have a CE he tends to bring out the best in his teammates. You also have to like how John Smith is making giant strides. Get this kid in the weight room over the summer. Hopefully, KC's performance last night gives him a big confidence boost as well. He looked very smoooooth on a couple of those drives to the hoop and he's got the best form for the 3 pointer. I'd like to see us have a lot of options for game winners.

He has been better than Cory offensively, but Cory has been better defensively. Cody adds a new element to the team because he is a different type of player than either Jon or Cory, but until he starts hitting shots at a higher clip lets be careful how we use the term "better".

He has been better than Cory offensively, but Cory has been better defensively. Cody adds a new element to the team because he is a different type of player than either Jon or Cory, but until he starts hitting shots at a higher clip lets be careful how we use the term "better".

CE looks like he has taken off 5-10 pounds, already-now if they get him on weight training and eating right maybe we will see him produce up to his

talent level.

CE, KC, and JS all had threes attempts that hit the front side of the iron; we have known since day one CS has a flat shot but these guys all look like

they have no legs under them when making the attempt.

On the flip side a couple of slightly shorter shots by CE had a nice rainbow arch on them