"Rocky" Frericks

I was again impressed by the gut performance of our center Tom Frericks. After making his first free throw, the tremendous pain he demonstrated was obvious to us all. With a gesture of his hand he waved off any attempt to take him out for the second shot.

Just before that second shot, his eyes and demeanor harkened back to Rocky I, where he picks himself up off the mat to continue again and again.

Thank you for your dedication and heart, Rocky Frericks. Please, though, don't put your final year of ball for SLU in danger to play on for the Bills this year. Risking further damage to that right shoulder is too great a risk, IMHO.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of John Duff

I don't ever remember an official stopping a college basketball game and telling a player (that wanted to stay in the game) that he was too injured too continue so he had to leave the game. As the TV announcer stated, reminds one of a prize fight. Tonight was a first. How did he make that one freethrow???

Tom looked to be in terrible pain all night and I question the wisdom of putting him at risk for who knows an injury that could impact the rest of his Billiken career? IMHO he should not see anymore action the rest of this season. I wonder how bad his shoulder is? I had a brother who had to have his shoulder operated on and it took quite some time before he was back to normal.

>Tom looked to be in terrible pain all night and I question

>the wisdom of putting him at risk for who knows an injury

>that could impact the rest of his Billiken career? IMHO he

>should not see anymore action the rest of this season. I

>wonder how bad his shoulder is? I had a brother who had to

>have his shoulder operated on and it took quite some time

>before he was back to normal.

I believe I read somewhere that Tom believes he can play because he can't do any further damage to the shoulder. I guess it's not that playing will make the injury any worse, but whether or not he can tolerate the excruciating pain. It seems to me, though, that his being bumped and hacked in the shoulder by opposing players has to exacerbate the pain.

Poor Tom has had a rough year. First it was the (upper) back spasms, then it was the groin strain, and now it's the separated shoulder. I hope he's healthy all season next year. If so, he could be second- or third-team all conference.

>I believe I read somewhere that Tom believes he can play

>because he can't do any further damage to the shoulder.

I am sure you mean long-term damage, because it was obvious he was doing short-term damage. I was actually hoping he would have played less (I understand that Brad was rightfully concerned about Gaines) so he would have missed some of those bangs and reaches that may make him less effective tonight.

god created pain for a good reason. pain is just not an inside joke. it's telling you "dont do that". i.e. i have a hard time believing he isnt making something worse than it already is. i guess the argument is it needs surgery regardless so what's the difference. but man, i can hardly stand to watch him out there.

The brother that I mentioned who had a seperated shoulder (strangely his name is Tom too) was a darn good athlete. It was months after his surgery before he could play sports again. Regardless, if he wants to play or not, someone on the training/medical staff needs to shut Tom down for the remainder of this year. The decision should not be his to make.

They should get him to the operating room today if not sooner. That will put an end to whether he can play or not. Also, get his rehab going for next year. Wasn't it Braun that had shoulder problems and wasn't himself because of lack of rehab time? CS also had it too, right?