willie

Cowboy

And are harongody and Brackins not "full-grown men"

Harongody and Brackins are nice "college" players, but they are by no means "full-grown men". Put them against the likes of Dwight, Amare, Shaq, Bynum, or Perkins and they would collapse like a house of cards. Even eventual all-stars get pushed around when they enter the league. It everyone time to strengthen up enough to play with the big boys. Harangody and Brackins are currently big fish in a small pond.

Willie stats are just as good, if not better, than bonner's were at the same point in his career. Also, Willie played 32 minutes against Notre Dame, he is already aking big strides. And are harongody and Brackins not "full-grown men"

A likely reason why WR's stats are as good as AB's at the same point in their careers (and I 'm not sure that that is factual), is that AB didn't need to be the Man on an inexperienced team. AB was playing with two other All-time Billikens, Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray who took most of the shots and did quite a bit of rebounding themselves. Those were some really good teams who finished 2nd in the NIT, twice.

By the way, someone in this thread said AB was one on the top 3 Billikens of all time, along with Easy Ed. That got me to wondering who is the third? I think I would have to include Dick Boushka (SP?), who was a second team All-American, back when AA teams had 5 players each. Also DB's numbers were affected by the fact that teams played quite a number of fewer games back then.

By the way, someone in this thread said AB was one on the top 3 Billikens of all time, along with Easy Ed. That got me to wondering who is the third? I think I would have to include Dick Boushka (SP?), who was a second team All-American, back when AA teams had 5 players each. Also DB's numbers were affected by the fact that teams played quite a number of fewer games back then.

In terms of success after leaving SLU, which I think is the context of the "ranking," wouldn't the third one have to be Larry Hughes?

All-America teams still have five players each.

In terms of success after leaving SLU, which I think is the context of the "ranking," wouldn't the third one have to be Larry Hughes?

All-America teams still have five players each.

I can't give it to Larry for only 1 year. Dick B was before my time. Harry Rodgers gets my vote.

AB averaged 14 ppg and 9 rpg in his sophomore season. That season was a big disappointment. We went 14-14 when we were supposed to compete for an NCAA tourney spot. Very comparable to the last couple of years. We had 3 excellent players, and no one else. The 4th best player was Tony Brown, who was not exactly a world beater and our depth significantly fell from there.

If Reed can average 14 and 9 this season that is a top ten Billiken big man single season. He'll deserve to be compared with Ab and the like.

I can't give it to Larry for only 1 year. Dick B was before my time. Harry Rodgers gets my vote.

Bob Ferry starred with the Nicks and Pistons for about 7 years and at least two years of that time led his team to the championship finals and was at least twice an NBA starting all star

See an earlier thread where I listed about 31 players from SLU who were at least drafted to the ABA or NBA-we have not

been that bad before you get to the likes of Heinrich or Eric Bickel you get people who actually made a living for 5-7 years

like Rich Niemann and Eugene Moore who both played in the very late 65-68 period for SLU-they did not tear up the likes of Wes Unseld of Cincy but they were entertaining and had finishes in a respected Valley in the top 3 or 4