Billiken Roar

Ah, yes. The "Just win, baby," argument. Which neglects the fact that the vast majority of college basketball teams aren't "winners" in any given year -- they're either losers, or somewhere in the middle of the pack. Yet somehow lots of them manage to get consistent good home crowds, have "traditions," etc. etc.

It ain't basketball, but crossreference the Boston College athletic site right now. First splash screen you see is special ticket offers for hockey and football. And BC's football team is a perfect example of a slightly above the middle of the pack team. 2-3-4 losses every season, arguably some sort of "tradition" in place. Now, we don't know what kind of overall marketing they do, but I bet they do it, because that's how you gain incremental fans, build traditions, establish yourself in the community, blah blah blah.

I'm not sure that SLU Basketball and BC football are very comparable.

Guest BillikenReport

There are at least three of these billboards near the airport: Femi John as you are heading north on I-170, Willie Reed on I-70 west bound and Kwamain Mitchell as you are heading south on 170.

I like them. I don't know that they will work for getting people to buy tickets, but it definitely gets the Billikens out there in front of more people. Also wonder what impact it could have on recruiting -- say a recruit gets picked up at the airport and passes a few billboards on his way to campus or even for local kids SLU may be recruiting (not that there are many).

How many college basketball players end up being featured on billboards like that?

Put me firmly in the camp that doesn't much care if Majerus kisses local media arse. I want Majerus recruiting and coaching and winning. Obviously that's what he wants as well.

To be blunt, I don't think our program will ever be marketed effectively enough to help a sputtering or rebuilding team put arses in the seats. In my opinion, Majerus speaking in public is fun but ultimately irrelevant to our long term success. A highschool athlete is not going to be swayed by resturant reveiws from the big man.

I am not saying that the program shouldn't do any marketing, but marketing (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the problem. They can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on billboards, TV spots, promos, etc. and Majerus can show up at every event in town, and all it will do is lead to some short-term attendance gains. On the other hand, if the team opens the season 12-0 and they don't spend a dime on marketing, I can guarantee the fan base and media attention will have significant gains that will stick as long as the team maintains the winning. It happened 16 years ago at SLU. It happened 3 years ago at Faurot Field. Winning is everything; the rest is just details.

David, I agree with both you and Roy's/Clocktower's points and I think we all need to realize that the two positions are NOT mutually exclusive. I think I read all your posts to agree with Roy & CT, yet it seems like all of you are disagreeing with each other. Marketing (Ads & Appearances) alone won't fill the Fetz-we also need to win. My problem is with the fact that even reading RM's words he is setting extremely low expectations for this year. Given that even the HC doesn't expect winning this year, then he and the Ath. Dept. need to do whatever possible to get fans in the seats. The billboards are nice and hard to argue with IF THEY ARE FREE or almost free. However, I truly can't imagine even one ticket being sold as a result of a driver seeing them. They only serve the purpose of lots of advertising, that is, to keep the product in mind. They by themselves won't sell ticket one.

Since we don't have any expectation of a big-time winning record this year, I suggest we not just blow the year off with regard to attendance. We need to get a large portion of the Fetz filled with fans so that some noise is generated. You want to sell tickets? If so, then we need to promote the hell out of the product with lots of ticket sales promotions. How about some creativity from the sports marketing group. What's wrong with looking at some of the great ideas being employed by the Blues-they seem to get it with regard to selling tickets. What's wrong with $1.00 hotdog or burger night? How about free popcorn and soda for a 1/2 price kids night? What about Ladies Day, to borrow an idea from baseball in the 70s. Just one thing, if we do come up with some really good ticket generating ideas, how about we think them through and do them right? Last year we had some kind of food promotion, and I heard more complaints than anything. People got there 30-40 minutes before tipoff and all the food promotion item was gone-again maybe the Blues can show our staff how to do these things right. What ever it takes----wait a minute hasn't that slogan been used already?

The staff's time and the department's budget are both fixed. This is a fact. With fixed time and money, you are forced to make business decisions as to how you best utilize these resources. There is therefore a competitive tension between spending these resources on marketing and promotions versus basketball-related activities. If you tilt the balance in favor of the marketing while the product is average at best, then you will not see sustainable growth. Likewise, if you sink all of the resources into building the best product with no marketing, then you may have a limited customer base. My personally view is that the substantial bulk of the resources need to be spent on improving the product right now, not the marketing. People in town certainly are aware of the Billikens, they just don't care to spend money on a bad product.

David, I agree with both you and Roy's/Clocktower's points and I think we all need to realize that the two positions are NOT mutually exclusive. I think I read all your posts to agree with Roy & CT, yet it seems like all of you are disagreeing with each other. Marketing (Ads & Appearances) alone won't fill the Fetz-we also need to win. My problem is with the fact that even reading RM's words he is setting extremely low expectations for this year. Given that even the HC doesn't expect winning this year, then he and the Ath. Dept. need to do whatever possible to get fans in the seats. The billboards are nice and hard to argue with IF THEY ARE FREE or almost free. However, I truly can't imagine even one ticket being sold as a result of a driver seeing them. They only serve the purpose of lots of advertising, that is, to keep the product in mind. They by themselves won't sell ticket one.

Since we don't have any expectation of a big-time winning record this year, I suggest we not just blow the year off with regard to attendance. We need to get a large portion of the Fetz filled with fans so that some noise is generated. You want to sell tickets? If so, then we need to promote the hell out of the product with lots of ticket sales promotions. How about some creativity from the sports marketing group. What's wrong with looking at some of the great ideas being employed by the Blues-they seem to get it with regard to selling tickets. What's wrong with $1.00 hotdog or burger night? How about free popcorn and soda for a 1/2 price kids night? What about Ladies Day, to borrow an idea from baseball in the 70s. Just one thing, if we do come up with some really good ticket generating ideas, how about we think them through and do them right? Last year we had some kind of food promotion, and I heard more complaints than anything. People got there 30-40 minutes before tipoff and all the food promotion item was gone-again maybe the Blues can show our staff how to do these things right. What ever it takes----wait a minute hasn't that slogan been used already?

Bauman,I agree with much of what you say. If it was up to me I would practically give away every unsold ticket. Bring your CYC team for $20 and get a soda and hot dogs for 50cents. Every person who paints their face blue gets in free. Promote-Promote-Promote. Rick Majerus look alike night,winner gets free food at Pappys. I know some people will argue that you can't give your product away. I disagree. When you start winning and your demand increases you can then increase prices,but for now get butts in the seats.

There are at least three of these billboards near the airport: Femi John as you are heading north on I-170, Willie Reed on I-70 west bound and Kwamain Mitchell as you are heading south on 170.

I like them. I don't know that they will work for getting people to buy tickets, but it definitely gets the Billikens out there in front of more people. Also wonder what impact it could have on recruiting -- say a recruit gets picked up at the airport and passes a few billboards on his way to campus or even for local kids SLU may be recruiting (not that there are many).

How many college basketball players end up being featured on billboards like that?

I think the billboards are a great idea. Stayed and drove through Memphis the last 2/3 years and recall seeing many billboards. What's wrong with a little buzz/excitement and expression to the fans/recruits/team and the general St. Louis population that someone is interested in the Billikens?

As to the content, I admit that I am probably not the intended target (nor probably should I be). And just to add, I am middle-aged, balding, I've long stopped growing except in the waist, I hate rap music, I don't hang-out with the young basketball crowd and my kids will never be college basketball players. If the Roar campaign works and appeals to a different group, then great - the Roar campaign is just fine.

No matter the content, though, SLU needs to /should try and build interest and excitement EACH YEAR and not just wait for the winning season to put butts in the seats. Will the billboards generate interes and ticket sales? Absolutely. Regardless of content, casual fans (non-season ticket holders) will drive by and see the ads, remember that SLU basketball is another entertainment choice and possibly go to a game. Maybe some young kids will LOVE the Roar billboards and get their parents to take them/their friends/their team to a game. Would I rather have an undefeated team v. billboards, of course. Keep the billboards going, though, until then!

Bauman,I agree with much of what you say. If it was up to me I would practically give away every unsold ticket. Bring your CYC team for $20 and get a soda and hot dogs for 50cents. Every person who paints their face blue gets in free. Promote-Promote-Promote. Rick Majerus look alike night,winner gets free food at Pappys. I know some people will argue that you can't give your product away. I disagree. When you start winning and your demand increases you can then increase prices,but for now get butts in the seats.

Just to correct something on the free food give-aways. Don't believe anyone really objected to free give-aways to put butts in the seats. My comments last year were more directed at the timing -- only a few days after we season ticket holders paid full price, another waive of potential season ticket holders were offered the very same pricing for season tickets but this time with free food for EACH game. If SLU felt they needed to do that, so be it. I just would have waited a few more days out of respect for the season ticket holders before offereing the giveaways, I would offered something also season ticket holders, I would have given the food away with a smaller multi-game packages for the reason that if someone didn't buy season tickets amid the construction of Chaveitz and in time for its grand opening, that the offering of free food alone is probably not going to change someone's mind to buy a full season of tickets. Then, again, I believe the entire pricing structure and seat selection process greatly overestimated demand and, in some ways, was a bit offensive to the loyal supporters but that is another story and water under the bridge.

-i totally agree with the cyc team deal, that is a way to build fans from their youth, make them want to be a billiken when the time comes

-heck, give them a tour after the game, let them shoot, play a game, almost anything

-the vball team is great at this the way they sign autographs after the game, however i doubt rick would go for that too often

Just to correct something on the free food give-aways. Don't believe anyone really objected to free give-aways to put butts in the seats. My comments last year were more directed at the timing -- only a few days after we season ticket holders paid full price, another waive of potential season ticket holders were offered the very same pricing for season tickets but this time with free food for EACH game. If SLU felt they needed to do that, so be it. I just would have waited a few more days out of respect for the season ticket holders before offereing the giveaways, I would offered something also season ticket holders, I would have given the food away with a smaller multi-game packages for the reason that if someone didn't buy season tickets amid the construction of Chaveitz and in time for its grand opening, that the offering of free food alone is probably not going to change someone's mind to buy a full season of tickets. Then, again, I believe the entire pricing structure and seat selection process greatly overestimated demand and, in some ways, was a bit offensive to the loyal supporters but that is another story and water under the bridge.

Your point about timing is well taken. If I was Chris May I would call Peter McLaughlin[sp] of the Blues and take him out to lunch. Pick his brain for a couple of hours. I'm not a hockey guy but they have done a fabulous job of marketing that program.Yeah they win a little bit, but the perception of caring for the fan is unbelievable.

Free tickets and charge for food--It's a win-win. Butts in the seats are important. With our little tiny arena (compared to the Kiel) getting a full house of paying butts shouldn't be difficult when we're a good team.