Soderberg to..... LINDENWOOD???

Also, if the discussion is civil, I don't see why discussing Brad is off limits. He's a part of SLU history, much like Grawer, Spoon, Hughes, Easy Ed, etc.

if only we discussed grawer, spoon, hughes, easy ed, etc as much you would have a good point

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if only we discussed grawer, spoon, hughes, easy ed, etc as much you would have a good point

we're also further removed from those guys. Sodie was still directly relevant to last year's team by virtue of his recruiting.

roy, i think Brad is a decent enough guy. I just don't remember hearing too much about his faith until he was out of work and trying to sell his house. I've commented on this before, but Brad's faith story rings hollow to me. He drove past CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, and SLUH on his way to work in the morning but sent his kid to St. Chuck West. It's not like Brad didn't have the money to afford tuition. For someone to cling to the faith bit but not think it's important enough to be part of his children's education doesn't add up IMO.

roy, I know you'll probably follow up with why Belleville whatever is better than Althoff, but you really can't say that St. Chuck West is better than the 5 MCC schools. If you want to say that going to St. Chuck West was a basketball decision, that's fine. If that's the case, then faith is secondary to basketball for Brad.

Brad keeps his faith to himself. He's a private guy. However if you walked up to him and you were sincere, I guarantee you he'd talk faith with you for an extended period. Brad also became much more spiritual while at SLU. Brad wanted to live in a more suburban/rural type of atmosphere, out of the way, consistent with his upbringing and past stops. Terry Hollander is as good of a coach as there is in the area, and, he's a Brad kind of guy.

So should all Catholics attend Catholic Schools? Should SLU only admit Catholics as students. Perhaps there could be a Catholics only island? I'm just kidding around, but I do not see your exclusive point. One can be a stong Catholic and attend a non-Catholic school, just as they could with any other religion and place.

It is not possible for someone to have faith and take part in the activities of faith at other times of the day, night, weekend?

Did Brad hold a bible reading scripture in the huddle and on the sidelines of games? (I knew it, darn Soderberg, he can teach bible study but not a one four offense)

he constantly talked about his faith and attended mass daily. imo, your education for the kids argument is crazy. plenty of very strong catholics do not send their children to catholic high schools for various reasons.

i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that your above attempt to attack my decisions with my own two kids experiences at the two belleville schools you are way off base. althoff isnt even in the same universe academically as the belleville west honors program. while my son did just fine at saint louis university and is reaping the benefits of such now, he wouldnt have had a chance in hell of even getting past first base of rose hulman. my daughter is going to rose on an academic scholarship. i know without a doubt my son and daughter are extremely similar in academic abilities as proven by my son graduating with honors at slu and beating out quite a field of candidates for his current job.

the difference is that the west honors program prepared my daughter for college. althoff was/is a little country club sports academy.

now i will say i have nothing but respect for the likes of sluh. that is what a true private academic high school should be. same with the likes of say a st joes academy for the young ladies. however, one has to question the social disadvantage you might put your kids in when commuting them to a school at 13 or 14 years old when there is no feasible way to make that commute for every activity or social event.

brad very well may have been faced with the same dilemna. st charles to the city isnt across the street or down the block. i dont pretend to know his reasons he didnt send his kids to a catholic high school. but i do know that i regularly heard brad talk about how important and appreciative he was a catholic and that he attended mass regularly and tried to live his life in the catholic tradition as much as possible and for what was right for his family.

AND footes, even if his kids academic choices were not for faith reasons, they very well could have been for family reasons. i.e. priority number 1 - family. priority number priority 2. god and catholic church.

Schools like SLUH and DeSmet are all about staying at the school most of the time, or at school activities on or off campus Roy. By that I mean they get dropped off at the beginning of the day, and many of them go home after dark. That may mean doing homework before or after a game or practice, it may mean a school bus or van ride to and from school for the game with a coach, other students, teacher, etc.. It may mean a host of other activities after school. The entire point of those types of schools, is to mostly never go home after school and then back somewhere else later. These kids and these schools are resourceful. That's what it's all about at those places. If you are the type of person that wants to go home at 2:30pm every day, or that wants to go home everyday and then back out to the activities, those places may not be for you. I'd say those kids are often times at the social advantage. Many kids that attend these two schools for example come from all over the metro area, and other metro areas, an hour or more away.

he constantly talked about his faith and attended mass daily. imo, your education for the kids argument is crazy. plenty of very strong catholics do not send their children to catholic high schools for various reasons.

i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that your above attempt to attack my decisions with my own two kids experiences at the two belleville schools you are way off base. althoff isnt even in the same universe academically as the belleville west honors program. while my son did just fine at saint louis university and is reaping the benefits of such now, he wouldnt have had a chance in hell of even getting past first base of rose hulman. my daughter is going to rose on an academic scholarship. i know without a doubt my son and daughter are extremely similar in academic abilities as proven by my son graduating with honors at slu and beating out quite a field of candidates for his current job.

the difference is that the west honors program prepared my daughter for college. althoff was/is a little country club sports academy.

now i will say i have nothing but respect for the likes of sluh. that is what a true private academic high school should be. same with the likes of say a st joes academy for the young ladies. however, one has to question the social disadvantage you might put your kids in when commuting them to a school at 13 or 14 years old when there is no feasible way to make that commute for every activity or social event.

brad very well may have been faced with the same dilemna. st charles to the city isnt across the street or down the block. i dont pretend to know his reasons he didnt send his kids to a catholic high school. but i do know that i regularly heard brad talk about how important and appreciative he was a catholic and that he attended mass regularly and tried to live his life in the catholic tradition as much as possible and for what was right for his family.

AND footes, even if his kids academic choices were not for faith reasons, they very well could have been for family reasons. i.e. priority number 1 - family. priority number priority 2. god and catholic church.

Kindly show me where I "attack your decision". I wrote that you can't say St. Chuck West is better than the MCC schools. You've already laid out why you made your decision, and I really don't care. I was predicting what your response would be, and I was correct. I don't know or really care what's going on in Belleville. Besides, you're not on here making statements about how important your faith is. And you're not even Catholic.

I'll stand by my statement that I don't believe we ever heard much about Brad's faith until he was out of a job and trying to sell his house. Can you find an article where he mentioned that he was going to Mass every day?

You either owe me an apology or an explanantion, because saying I "attacked" you is a flat out lie.

Brad keeps his faith to himself. He's a private guy. However if you walked up to him and you were sincere, I guarantee you he'd talk faith with you for an extended period. Brad also became much more spiritual while at SLU. Brad wanted to live in a more suburban/rural type of atmosphere, out of the way, consistent with his upbringing and past stops. Terry Hollander is as good of a coach as there is in the area, and, he's a Brad kind of guy.

So should all Catholics attend Catholic Schools? Should SLU only admit Catholics as students. Perhaps there could be a Catholics only island? I'm just kidding around, but I do not see your exclusive point. One can be a stong Catholic and attend a non-Catholic school, just as they could with any other religion and place.

It is not possible for someone to have faith and take part in the activities of faith at other times of the day, night, weekend?

Did Brad hold a bible reading scripture in the huddle and on the sidelines of games? (I knew it, darn Soderberg, he can teach bible study but not a one four offense)

I never said that all Catholics should attend Catholic schools. You did. I'm just very surprised that a guy who is so spiritual doesn't believe Catholic education is more important than basketball. Especially when money shouldn't be an object (he made $300K) and the quality of basketball in the MCC is pretty good.

This seems like a non-issue. If Soderberg didn't want to send his kids to Catholic school, so what? Keep in mind that Brad was not originally from this area. He may not have understood the obsession that St. Louis has about where people went to high school and what that says about you and all that parochial stuff. I have run across plenty of families who I would consider to be good practicing Catholic families who did not send their kids to Catholic schools even though they could afford it.

This seems like a non-issue. If Soderberg didn't want to send his kids to Catholic school, so what? Keep in mind that Brad was not originally from this area. He may not have understood the obsession that St. Louis has about where people went to high school and what that says about you and all that parochial stuff. I have run across plenty of families who I would consider to be good practicing Catholic families who did not send their kids to Catholic schools even though they could afford it.

Brad didn't grow up in St. Louis, but he went to Pacelli High school which was originally run by the Christian Brothers and I think is now run by the Lacrosse diocese. I didn't make the comment because I'm beholden to St. Louis culture.

As I've mentioned a number of times, I happen to find it unusual that a guy who goes to Mass every day and talks about faith guiding his life so much didn't send his kid to a Catholic school when he had the money to do it and several good options. BTW, his kids DID go to Catholic grade school. That makes the high school choice even more unusual IMO.

Here's a link to the article.

http://stcharlesjournal.stltoday.com/artic...pokin00.ii1.txt

Fair enough. You find it unusual. Personally I don't. I'm sure he weighed his options and made a well-thought out decision. In the article I was struck by the name Soderberg was recruiting when he got fired. Stephon Pettigrew. This is the kid that tore up Illinois in the NCAA Tournament. He has been quite a player for Western Kentucky.

-footes, i agree that there is something that does jive with ub's decision to send his kids to st charles west and to proclaim his faith the way he did

-but i think it comes down to a bball decision for his son, not his daughter however, who also attended scw

-there is a catholic hs in st charles, duchesne, not much boys bball success, but a great record for girls bball, esp compared to scw

-while your comments were not directed at me, i saw no attack in your post (maybe i am missing somehting with it) and thought the response you were given was way off, but you and roy have a history so i guess that is why roy responded as he did

-i disagree with you on the timing of when ub commented on his faith and his practice of it, i heard him speak/interviewed many times whtile coach and he openly discussed it, i think there was even an article on this in the review, the archdiocese newspaper, while he was coach that focused on his practice of his faith

-whoever said ub hid his faith, i disagree with that based on the line above, he openly talked about it, alot

-i agree with moytoy on why ub is discussed, although i would have added to his post from yesterday the words "or lack thereof" when talking about ub's recruiting

Kindly show me where I "attack your decision". I wrote that you can't say St. Chuck West is better than the MCC schools. You've already laid out why you made your decision, and I really don't care. I was predicting what your response would be, and I was correct. I don't know or really care what's going on in Belleville. Besides, you're not on here making statements about how important your faith is. And you're not even Catholic.

I'll stand by my statement that I don't believe we ever heard much about Brad's faith until he was out of a job and trying to sell his house. Can you find an article where he mentioned that he was going to Mass every day?

You either owe me an apology or an explanantion, because saying I "attacked" you is a flat out lie.

i felt your statement, "roy, I know you'll probably follow up with why Belleville whatever is better than Althoff" was at the very least a jab at previous debates held at billikens.com on my position on catholic high schools. if attack was too strong of a word, fine. sorry. but it struck me wrong and i felt you were bringing up the previous debates we had exchanged and disagreed on again.

your "predicted" response was necessitated by merely you bringing it up. i felt you were again attacking me and my decision which now that my daugther has graduated from west has been more than proven correct in our minds. so dont break your arm too hard patting yourself for your grand prediction when you begged for it in my opinion. if you didnt want to go over it again, you shouldnt have brought it up.

what since i am not catholic i cant make a statement about the importance of my faith? the catholic religion is the only christian faith? that is big news.

as to publication of brad's faith, i dont recall it being a feature article. i do recall brad talking about it in numerous close conversations and i also recall him mentioning it on separate occasions at billiken club functions. if you never had the opportunity to talk to brad about things not basketball i am sorry.

p.s. word i got is that brad will indeed be the new lindenwood coach.

p.s. word i got is that brad will indeed be the new lindenwood coach.

they'd have to be niddiots to think that what was good enough for us (at least for a few years) isn't good enough for them. let's hope so, brad's good for the community.

Guest BillikenReport

Great pickup for Lindenwood.

Seems like a good fit for BS where he can spend more time with his family and less time away.

Now the question becomes whether Kramer transfers there to play for his dad.

I'd say the decision to send Kramer to SCW was a good one, seeing as how he's now playing Division I ball at a great university.

There are plenty of reasons for Catholics not to send their kids to Catholic schools. The wife and I live in one of the best school districts in the state, for example, which makes a compelling argument for public school over spending $4,000-$5,000 a year for the parish school.

The wife and I live in one of the best school districts in the state, for example, which makes a compelling argument for public school over spending $4,000-$5,000 a year for the parish school.

Not many schools compare favorably to the Box Family Home School.

I'd say the decision to send Kramer to SCW was a good one, seeing as how he's now playing Division I ball at a great university.

There are plenty of reasons for Catholics not to send their kids to Catholic schools. The wife and I live in one of the best school districts in the state, for example, which makes a compelling argument for public school over spending $4,000-$5,000 a year for the parish school.

Does anybody know what kind of salary Lindenwood might pay? $125k- $150?? Any thoughts?

I wish Brad well at Lindenwood. At least he is coaching again.

Yeah, he was pretty frank on that interview about how he wasn't passionate about being an AD. If I were his boss at Loras, I'd have actually been a bit concerned, because he was like I'm not responsible for winning anymore, only my coaches are. That's like a sales team manager saying he doesn't care about sales because that's his salesmen's job, not his. Sounded like he was just spinning his wheels and dirty talking Cheryl Levick over the phone (which I'd love to take part in).

Hopefully he does well, I just hope that we don't end up battling him for local recruits. VTIME, do you think there'll be issues with this in the future?

i felt your statement, "roy, I know you'll probably follow up with why Belleville whatever is better than Althoff" was at the very least a jab at previous debates held at billikens.com on my position on catholic high schools. if attack was too strong of a word, fine. sorry. but it struck me wrong and i felt you were bringing up the previous debates we had exchanged and disagreed on again.

your "predicted" response was necessitated by merely you bringing it up. i felt you were again attacking me and my decision which now that my daugther has graduated from west has been more than proven correct in our minds. so dont break your arm too hard patting yourself for your grand prediction when you begged for it in my opinion. if you didnt want to go over it again, you shouldnt have brought it up.

what since i am not catholic i cant make a statement about the importance of my faith? the catholic religion is the only christian faith? that is big news.

as to publication of brad's faith, i dont recall it being a feature article. i do recall brad talking about it in numerous close conversations and i also recall him mentioning it on separate occasions at billiken club functions. if you never had the opportunity to talk to brad about things not basketball i am sorry.

Well, you were obviously wrong that I was "attacking" or "taking a jab" at you. I was pointing out that as soon as I mentioned Brad didn't send his kids to Catholic high school you would immediately tell us all again about how you switched schools with your daughter. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU CHANGED YOUR DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL, roy. That's it. Stop being so paranoid about everything!

Then you make a completely ridiculous statement:

"what since i am not catholic i cant make a statement about the importance of my faith? the catholic religion is the only christian faith? that is big news."

I never said anything like that, roy. You are obvioulsy lying once again. My comment was that since you aren't Catholic I don't expect you to send your kids to Catholic schools. Is that so hard for you to understand? Now, if you were Catholic, had the funds to send your kids to Catholic schools that were just as good or better than the public schools, and talked about how you prayed the rosary on the treadmill I would say that I was suprised by your decision.

You now owe my two apologies roy! Stop making things up.

That's like a sales team manager saying he doesn't care about sales because that's his salesmen's job, not his.

What Loras really needed was an AD who would tell his head basketball coach, "You finish first in the conference, you win a Cadillac ElDorado. Second place, you get a set of steak knives. Third place, you're fired."

We'll never know, but you're assuming that he wouldn't have gotten a D1 scholarship if he had gone to Chaminade or DeSmet. Why do you think that?

Also, based on your post, I can assume that getting a basketball scholarship is more important than faith to you. That's fine, but if you were telling me that you went to Mass every day, prayed the rosary on the treadmill, etc., I would say that I was surprised. Not judging, just surprised.