OT: Alex Tyus Transferring from Florida

Postcard

Guest BillikenReport

Usually when you put up those kinds of numbers at Florida as a sophomore you are headed for the pro's, not transferring. This is interesting.

This is surprising. I think there were concerns from the Tyus camp that he was playing out of position and that he should be playing on the wing (like the Marcus Relphorde situation) but it's tough to argue with the results he got.

Big name transfer, anyone?

I would take him in a heart beat. Idon't know if he would even think about us. I wonder where he might go. He finished up HS in Cincy. I wonder if he ever got to know Miller. I could seeing him heading to a program like Arizona. Big name program in a big name conference with a depleted roster and plenty of playing time. I think his final five coming out was Florida, Memphis, Illinois, Ohio State, and Texas.

I would take him in a heart beat. Idon't know if he would even think about us. I wonder where he might go. He finished up HS in Cincy. I wonder if he ever got to know Miller. I could seeing him heading to a program like Arizona. Big name program in a big name conference with a depleted roster and plenty of playing time. I think his final five coming out was Florida, Memphis, Illinois, Ohio State, and Texas.

He would have to sit next year so how does that help Miller with a depleted roster?

He would have to sit next year so how does that help Miller with a depleted roster?

No way Miller could use a guy that was the second leading, who shot almost 60%, and was the leading rebounder on a 25 win Florida team as a sophmore in in year two at Zona. It is going to take at least to years to restock Zona. Tyus would be a big get for him and would be an instant help in practice.

I would love to have him at SLU. We would really have something special building for the 10-11 season and he would have a huge impact on next years team just practicing. Tyus is a player.

Another Gator flies the coop: F Alex Tyus transfering By Ben Volin | Palm Beach Post

“Coach Donovan and I had a chance to talk about my future and we agreed on the best course of action,” Tyus, a 6-foot-9 power forward who averaged 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, said in a statement. “I want to thank my coaches, my teammates and the fans here at Florida. I enjoyed my two years here and now I look forward to the next chapter of my life.”

Donovan did not go into too many specifics about the reasons for Tyus’ departure, or where he is headed. But he did say that Tyus did not want to put in the necessary time and commitment into the Florida program.

“I think he feels, ‘You know what? I need a year away just to figure this out. What kind of commitment am I willing to make to basketball and what kind of growth and how I want to play?’” Donovan said. “There are certain guys that say, ‘I really don’t want to do that, and I understand that and that’s not a problem. You kind of shake hands.”

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he is heading... back to florida. What the heck is going on?!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4107156

maybe donovan caved and gave him the pay raise he wanted?