Belmont at SLU next season

Guest BillikenReport

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_110_Men.html

Take a look at Dayton's schedule.

They played in the exact same tournament we are playing in next year.

They played home and homes with Akron, Creighton, Toledo, Miami (OH), and George Mason all of which fit my criteria for home and home games.

They played 8 buy games.

Somehow they made it to the promised land.

I feel like I need to be very clear here since I don't think I'm getting through. I'd much rather play a tough non-conference schedule with only a few buy games and a bunch of home and homes so long as the home and homes fit my criteria. But just adding a home and home with any team that comes along with an RPI typically between 100 and 150 does nothing to excite the fans, won't help the RPI that much (we typically lose some of those road games), won't help on selection Sunday and won't help the school's revenues with fewer home games.

toledo's rpi was over 300. akron and miami oh are very near 100 rpi teams.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regional rivalries

and i have said on numerous occasions if we have to play buys, play semo, or eastern illinois or western illinois, etc.

and i have said on numerous occasions if we have to play buys, play semo, or eastern illinois or western illinois, etc.

Kansas was going to play Memphis next year in St. Louis as a part of a double header. This may fall apart because MU will be going back into nothingness. I know Coach Self wants to play in STL for Brad Beal, so what are the odds SLU picks up Memphis's spot or is in the 2nd game of the double header.

You aren't hearing me Roy. Look at Dayton's schedule. They don't play any home and homes with teams that aren't either BCS, regional rivals, or top mid-majors. There are no Blemonts in the group. They played 8 buy games. And yet somehow they found their way to the promised land which you said is impossible given SLU's current scheduling.

Kansas was going to play Memphis next year in St. Louis as a part of a double header. This may fall apart because MU will be going back into nothingness. I know Coach Self wants to play in STL for Brad Beal, so what are the odds SLU picks up Memphis's spot or is in the 2nd game of the double header.

Good thought but why would we give KU a chance to impress Beal when we are recruiting him ourselves?

You aren't hearing me Roy. Look at Dayton's schedule. They don't play any home and homes with teams that aren't either BCS, regional rivals, or top mid-majors. There are no Blemonts in the group. They played 8 buy games. And yet somehow they found their way to the promised land which you said is impossible given SLU's current scheduling.

before you get all inside yourself for your bigtime discovery, i contend that having marquette and creighton on their schedule with a marquette win trumps our non conference schedule this year by a country mile. add to that your regional games that turn out to be pretty good (except toledo), slu didnt even have a dayton schedule.

Kansas was going to play Memphis next year in St. Louis as a part of a double header. This may fall apart because MU will be going back into nothingness.

once again your lack of basketball knowledge shines through. memphis will never be "nothingness". and has never been "nothingness".

once again your lack of basketball knowledge shines through. memphis will never be "nothingness". and has never been "nothingness".

Roy everything is relative, maybe I over exagerated a little. I'm not going to get into a fight with you, it's like a fighting a child who thinks he knows everything. You won't get Brad Beal, it would be awesome if you did, but it will down between KU and FL. A game like that would bring in exposure and money a program like SLU needs.

Roy everything is relative, maybe I over exagerated a little. I'm not going to get into a fight with you, it's like a fighting a child who thinks he knows everything. You won't get Brad Beal, it would be awesome if you did, but it will down between KU and FL. A game like that would bring in exposure and money a program like SLU needs.

Then perhaps we can get a home and home with KU or FL to give the kid a game back home.

Shoe. You are correct about UD, their schedule and that it worked for them this year. Would you agree, though, that if they did not have the opportunity to play/beat Marquette, that their making the Tourney would not be such a sure thing. Also, UD played X twice and therefore had 2 chances to play and beat a good team. UD split with X and therefore could boast that they beat both Marquette and X, had a number of wins and therefore belong in the Tourney. SLU, on the other hand, only got one shot at X - in Cincinnati no less.

How is this any different than the BCS school? By that, I mean that they get the opportunity to play/beat a number of good teams (home and away) and are able to have an off night (and lose to a highly rated team and it not be a season killer) and also to catch a highly rated team on their off night. Here locally, we watch Mizzou get jacked-up for the biggest game of their season and against their hated rival (Kansas) and they often end up splitting with Kansas each year: win at home and loss at Fog Allen. SLU did the same thing with Cincy, Memphis and Louisville all those years. Unless the A-10 keeps improving (really our best chance to gain respect), such is life as a mid-major.

If we could have at least 4 quality games/Top 25 ranked team each year (2 in conference and 2 OOC), then debates over Belmont (home & away) or a buy game become less important. Also, and most importantly, if we want to be ready to get into the next good conference, then we had better start making friendships and build alliances with some of the Big East teams (possibly ND, Marq, DePaul, BC, GTown, Nova because they are Catholic) or with some former conference schools which are geographically close (Louisville, Memphis, UAB, Cincy, DePaul, Marq) or start cultivating relationships with the likes of Butler, Indiana, Purdue.

Playing an occasional game against N. Carolina, Kansas, Florida or the like b/c THEY want to come to town to show off for some recruit or as a reward for some recruit who left the area is reactive and not proactice.

Shoe. You are correct about UD, their schedule and that it worked for them this year. Would you agree, though, that if they did not have the opportunity to play/beat Marquette, that their making the Tourney would not be such a sure thing. Also, UD played X twice and therefore had 2 chances to play and beat a good team. UD split with X and therefore could boast that they beat both Marquette and X, had a number of wins and therefore belong in the Tourney. SLU, on the other hand, only got one shot at X - in Cincinnati no less.

How is this any different than the BCS school? By that, I mean that they get the opportunity to play/beat a number of good teams (home and away) and are able to have an off night (and lose to a highly rated team and it not be a season killer) and also to catch a highly rated team on their off night. Here locally, we watch Mizzou get jacked-up for the biggest game of their season and against their hated rival (Kansas) and they often end up splitting with Kansas each year: win at home and loss at Fog Allen. SLU did the same thing with Cincy, Memphis and Louisville all those years. Unless the A-10 keeps improving (really our best chance to gain respect), such is life as a mid-major.

If we could have at least 4 quality games/Top 25 ranked team each year (2 in conference and 2 OOC), then debates over Belmont (home & away) or a buy game become less important. Also, and most importantly, if we want to be ready to get into the next good conference, then we had better start making friendships and build alliances with some of the Big East teams (possibly ND, Marq, DePaul, BC, GTown, Nova because they are Catholic) or with some former conference schools which are geographically close (Louisville, Memphis, UAB, Cincy, DePaul, Marq) or start cultivating relationships with the likes of Butler, Indiana, Purdue.

Playing an occasional game against N. Carolina, Kansas, Florida or the like b/c THEY want to come to town to show off for some recruit or as a reward for some recruit who left the area is reactive and not proactice.

Agree 100%. I want to play those same teams and I know RM does to (unless he's lying on the radio). I also know that we are always going to have a few buy games in order to keep the Chaifetz revenues high and guarantee us more like 16 or 17 home games every year. The thing I don't want is for us to settle and do home and homes against teams like Belmont. If given the choice of those types or a couple more buy games I'll take the buys. That is my whole point.

what the hell does brad beal have to do with memphis being an ongoing good basketball program and having a history of being a good basketball program? you talk about a child's mentality. try to stay on topic.

KU and Florida, eh? I think you will be surprised where Beal ends up.