Leon Powell & James Washington to SEMO?

• 3 weeks later...

http://gosoutheast.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb.../041509aaa.html

""I'm pleased with the start of our recruiting class," said Nutt who did not take over at Southeast until March 12, 2009. "Despite our late start we were able to zero in on some good athletes including Leon Powell"

"The recruits are headlined by Powell who is originally from Vashon High School in St. Louis. He averaged 11.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game for the nation's number two junior college team at Indian Hills that finished the season 30-3. He shot 61.8% from the field as a sophomore. Powell played on a state championship team at Vashon where he was a teammate of current Redhawks player Johnny Hill.

"We're extremely excited to have Leon join us," Nutt said. "He was the key player I wanted from the day I took the job at Southeast. We need him to be an integral part of our program. Leon has had great success everywhere he has played. He is a versatile player who can play inside or outside. Leon is a very agile athlete who will be a great addition to our team."

I dont think I've ever seen a profile page for a player that is not on campu yet, but Powell has one.

http://gosoutheast.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb...ell_leon00.html

Indian Hills CC: Named second-team All-Region XI for two consecutive seasons at Indian Hills CC in Ottumwa, Iowa ... scored 11.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game for the No. 2 junior college team in the nation that finished 30-3 ... shot 61.8-percent from the field as a sophomore ... scored 10.3 points and grabbed 6.8 rebounds per contest as a freshman.

Prep: Played at Vashon High School in St. Louis, Mo. ... teammate of current Redhawks shooting guard Johnny Hill ... coached by Anthony Bonner.

Personal: Son of Lisa Davis and Leon Powell, Jr. ... also recruited by Illinois, Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Bradley, Murray State, Saint Louis, Houston, Ohio and Indiana State.

Guest BillikenReport

... also recruited by Illinois, Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Bradley, Murray State, Saint Louis, Houston, Ohio and Indiana State.

He must have turned down a lot of good programs to go to SEMO.

Guest BillikenReport

Why the need to take a shot at a local kid? That is a surprising comment from someone who covers high school sports in the area.

Not a shot at the local kid. It's a shot at the system that hypes up players in this manner.

The kid really didn't pick SEMO over those other schools, but he or the school claims he did.

Funny. Illinois looked at Powell a couple of years ago like teams look at tons of kids. He has not been on Illinois' radar for a long, long time. Illinois has no scholarships to give until the 2011 class. I guess that it is easy for a kid to list whatever schools he wants to, I guess.

Not a shot at the local kid. It's a shot at the system that hypes up players in this manner.

The kid really didn't pick SEMO over those other schools, but he or the school claims he did.

Technically, he was 'recruited by' those schools, we was just not offered a scholarship. If feelers are shown (i.e. letters sent, phonecalls, etc) I think it's okay to say 'recruited by'. I think it becomes dishonest if they claim he 'picked SEMO over ...'. Just my take.

Powell had scholarship offers from Bradley, Murray St & Ohio, at least this season. Some of the other schools may have shown some interest when he was in HS if not this season? This is basically a list complied from his rivals and/or scout profile, nothing more, and probably compiled by a GA in the SID's office. The Cape beat writer says that Siu made a late push, as in the last month, but don't know if they actually offered.

It should be noted that Powell recently became a father about a month ago. It was around that time that reports of him considering SEMO popped up. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked SEMO because it's close to his new family. However, don't quote me on that. I wish Leon the best.

I agree. Nate, didn't take a "shot" at Leon Powell. Leon, like most kids who are the subject to basketball boards and recruiting services, is probably a good kid who enjoys, for the most part, the attention he has received.

If a shot is to be taken, it should be directed toward V and others who gushed over this kid for nearly 2 years despite warnings that he was not ready for the academics of college, that he was a "tweener", that he was the product of the Vashon/Irons system which won high school games and produced highschool stars but not college stars...

Finest, if he wants to stay close to home, why is not going to Mizzou and Mike Anderson? What happened to those AAU perfomances that were posted here each week? LOL.

Stl Hoops Don't see you taking credit for this prediction like you do with Harrelson.

I have nothing to feel bad about. Indian Hills was a top 5 JUCO in the country. Powell was third on their team in scoring, first in rebounds, and shot 62% from the field. He's considered the star of their recruiting class on a team that returns no one that averaged more than 7ppg last season. Looks like he could be the go-to-guy from day one. He's the best player that his new coach handpicked. He, like Marcus Relphorde had several D1 offers. Marcus has Big 12 and SEC offers.

From traveling to that area and reading the local papers it seems SEMO and MO State recruiters often consider and talk to the same outstate Missouri

kids. I think you will see SIUE more and more be a competitor to SIU Carbondale as the D1 programs gets more established.

I have nothing to feel bad about. Indian Hills was a top 5 JUCO in the country. Powell was third on their team in scoring, first in rebounds, and shot 62% from the field. He's considered the star of their recruiting class on a team that returns no one that averaged more than 7ppg last season. Looks like he could be the go-to-guy from day one. He's the best player that his new coach handpicked. He, like Marcus Relphorde had several D1 offers. Marcus has Big 12 and SEC offers.

Again, 2 years of "this is the greatest guy..." and he now goes to SEMO. LOLs. :( Why clutter this Board with daily briefings about kids who are good enough to be, and want to be, "the star" of Cape G? Are you even a Billken fan or are you instead a promoter of local area kids.

BTW. What does your comment about MR have to do with LP? By all accounts, MR left SLU on his own after listening to RM's frank discussions about his future and playing time. Unlike MR, AK and DM were less willing to leave and apparently were actually forced-out by RM. I, for one, appreciated the efforts of MR and truly wish him the very best and hope one of those offers turns into a scholarship for him.

Powell has proven that he can really play everywhere he's been. He produced in high school, AAU, and went to a top-notch JUCO and had a standout year. What else does he need to do? The school you sign with doesnt define your talent (Josh Harrellson). Powell's only go two years left. Why would a JUCO player not want to go to a situation where he could be the man right away? And its close to home. And I would think that the star player for SEMO could play for SLU and contribute any year.